“THE BEST IN SINGAPORE? I HOPE NOT...”

The Ritz-Carlton, Millenia Singapore
Ranked #5 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Just checked in to Ritz-Carlton in Singapore for my first (and last) visit.

Waited twenty minutes to check in, waited an additional twenty minutes for my luggage, waited twenty-five minutes to have my laundry collected, had mailed the hotel to ask them to book a table for me at the Raffles and they had forgotten and now the restaurant is fully booked, and, and, and...

Don't we miss the times when Ritz-Carlton placed smaller faults into a guest experience just to impress the guest with their guest service recovery!

So glad I am only staying for two days.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Michael T
Write a ReviewReviews (4,913)

Reviewed 30 March 2012

First impressions typically frame the entire stay for me but not for this hotel. Let's start with the bad first impression. The layout. The hotel's layout is not at all intuitive. The arrival experience isn't what you'd have expect for this class of hotel. No large impressive atrium with large reception to greet you. Instead you arrive, not sure which way the reception is as there are two passage ways, one to their all day dining and the other to the lounge and the reception is not visible at all.

Then the nearest bank of lifts from the reception which by the way, you turn right towards the lounge, leads to the car park and not the rooms. So get to your room you'll wanting the bank of lifts that are the furtherest away.

On entering the rooms I can't say I cared much for the fit out. Granted I was in the deluxe room, but the whole lay out with the beds right next to the door and the door finished with the same material as the walls made it feel a little like a cabin in a cruise ship. I'm not saying its a bad fit out, just not my taste.

Now after all of my whining, the best bit about this hotel is its impeccable service. They've trained their staff extremely well and really try to personalise the service. I've stayed at the St. Regis, the Conrad, mandarin oriental and grand Hyatt (all in Singapore) and I must say the service here is the best.

The rooms facing the marina bay also have spectacular views and of all the bathrooms of all the above mentioned hotels this is one of the largest and most well appointed, coming in a close second to St. Regis. Whilst I whined about the room's fit out, it's certainly large and extremely comfortable.

Certainly for me, the whole experience here was great even if I didn't quite appreciate the aesthetics of the hotel.

Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank PLKV2000
Reviewed 29 March 2012

We spent there 3 nights with our friends - 2 famielies with small children. Very child friendly hotel, nice position with breathtaking city and harbour view. We had Premier suite,it is corner room and I can only recomend-very spacious rooms with big bathroom. Good breakfast buffet.

Room Tip: Premier suite-large,corner room with nice view
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 March 2012

This is my seventh visit to the Ritz Carlton, each time staying for about a week.
We have always enjoyed our stays here, but as in all hotels there have been little niggles.
Last year we opted to go to the Pan Pacific for a change, but very quickly realised that the two hotels are a class- or a least a full star- apart, and returned to Ritz Carlton this year.
Great decision. The rooms have been upgraded, new beds, TVs, but most importantly the rooms have been configured so it all makes sense, and you sit on the sofa and admire the view. New lighting, which is very clever, but also sensible as there is plenty of light to read.
Bathroom has been retiled etc, but the stunning layout with bath under window remains.

The rooms facing the Marina have the best view, but you pay a supplement for the view, and identical room. For that reason, I have only twice had Marina view, and am happy with my cheaper view of vibrant city and water.
I don't know whether there has been a change of management, but service is now excellent.
Whoever is in charge runs a tight ship! It is an example to other 5 star hotels.
The pool is superb, both for swimming lengths and splashing around. Lots of loungers and parasols.
The only food I ate in the RC was breakfast, and that was as good as ever. It has always been
the best hotel buffet breakfast I have ever had. As the hotel is very well situated, with
2shopping malls just outside, and an MRT station to take you anywhere in Singapore, I always wanted to explore the fabulous Singapore food, rather than hotel food.
I will definitely be back next year.

Room Tip: the higher the better, definitely above 10 floor. Check supplement for Marina view to see if you th...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank optom
Reviewed 18 March 2012

I was lucky enough to be upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite although travelling by myself. Total luxury! The views from the bath are amazing. I didn't dine in the hotel but snacks by pool at night with a classic cocktail and the fantastic jazz singer in the lobby were memorable.

Perfect for a honeymoon of special weekend away.

The cleanest hotel I've ever stayed in,  with attention to every detail. I would stay there again if I could afford the suite price tag. Other 5 star hotels offer good deals on their suites, I wish the Ritz did the same.

• Stayed: April 2011
2  Thank ScottAbroad_11
Reviewed 16 March 2012

We stayed 4 nights here at the Ritz and were very impressed with the professional yet friendly staff. Our room had a great view of the sights. Although we had our dinners outside of the hotel, we found the breakfasts to be very good and the room service prompt. The spa massage therapists were great! I would highly recommend this hotel to others. The location is an easy walk (if you should decide to venture into the humidity) to many points of interest for viewing of interesting architecture or shopping.

Room Tip: I'm sure all the rooms are very nice. You may want to be specific about requesting a room with a...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 March 2012

I was lucky enough to stay several weeks at this wonderful property..and I can only compliment the wonderful and professional staff. I used to stay at Mandarin Oriental and St Regis , this was my first time at the Ritz Millenia and I can only say that this hotel does not compare with its competitors, it is far, far above ..The rooms / suites are stunning,in perfect condition, the view of the Marina is simply amazing.Housekeeping service is excellent , the staff is caring and so professional .The greenhouse does serve very good food, buffet breakfast is delicious, Sunday brunch is a must,the service is spotless .The chinese restaurant is one ot the best I have tried.The pool area is simply great, large pool, confortable lounge chairs, good service, exquisite fresh fruit cocktails and not as crowded as the Mandarin.Each of the staff at this wonderful property is eager to please and always have this wonderful smile.I do travel a lot and Ritz Carlton SIngapore is among the very finest hotel I have stayed in.The location is great within walking distance to the Marina Bay Shopping mall, and very close to all the main sightseeing areas of the city.I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough and it surely will be our home when in Singapore.Simply a fantastic !!! Don't bother going anywhere else.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family