“It does not feel like a Ritz Carlton”

The Ritz-Carlton, Millenia Singapore
Ranked #5 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
“It does not feel like a Ritz Carlton”
Reviewed 8 December 2012 via mobile

The hotel has eat architecture and the rooms was spacious. The bath tub has an excellent view and the bed is comfortable. Aside from these, the hotel needs mayor renovation, it feels old and expensive compared to other great hotels I'm Singapore (my bathroom had mold in the walls). The people and ambiance feels like a Holiday Inn. The service is good and willingness to help is good but not great, even as I stayed in the Club level. They do not belong to the Ritz Calton Rewards program, the service is OK, food terrible, looks old, the rooms are noicy (you hear everything from the hallway, etc is this really a Ritz Carlton? I do hope the Marriott/ Ritz Carlton Group evaluates keeping their name associated to this particular mediocre hotel.

Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Monsterloco

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (964)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Hong Kong
Reviewed 6 December 2012

I stayed at the Ritz Carlton given the good reputation.
Room was indeed spacious and very comfortable. The hotel however needs some renovation. It feels a bit "old". There is a big difference between "classic" and "old"...and the Ritz Carlton Singapore is probably in between.
Horrible breakfast experience.... it felts like a 2 star hotel. In fairness to them, it was not about the quality of food but about the quality of people (guests). The breakfast room is too small for the amount of guests. There was a long queue to be sited and people had to "fight" to get food from the self-service area. For the amount of money I paid, I expected a bit more.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Max S
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
Reviewed 4 December 2012

It's our second time at the Ritz and have to say they have up, the game.

The moment we arrived, i was with my son while hubby was busy parking our car, we were swept off our feet to check in by Jacob Suresh, the hotel staff....he handled everything for us until we were given our security card to the room! I thought this is a very nice touch...he deserved to be named here as he does not justmade our checking in a breeze but also kindly showed our way around to our room. We thought he deserved a tip but he politely declined. He should be named the staff of the year!!!!

Anyway, the staffs are so well trained, we just loved it and felt so at home.We are even called by our family names. I love the bathroom,my tot just loved it as well and the bed is so comfy, you just sink into it. The trundown service is excellent, they never failed.

This time,we didn't opt for the breakfast buffet as Millenia Walk and Marina square is just 1 minute away. Location is just superb...MRT station is also just 1 minute walk away.

The view from the room is just awesome......we sleep with our blinds open everyday we were there.

Maybe just one tiny complain is that there's no kid's pool at the hotel...but my son is just happy splahing at the edge of the pool.

A suggestion to improvise is to have those tablet type-coffee (like the dolce gusto) in the room. Iknow the Royal Plaza on Scotts have it in their room. It's great for coffee lovers like us.

Really,know complains here, the staffs are just the best, so very friendly and they certainly made us feel at home!

Room Tip: One facing the river
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank FadzlynFarid
Singapore
Reviewed 3 December 2012

I had a company dinner at the Ritz Carlton Millenia recently. It was the worse banquet of my life and conversations with my colleagues reaffirm this sentiment.

It was a 1200-plus person banquet and as the ballroom could not fit all the tables, they dumped some tables outside. This caused the guests outside to feel marginalized. What added to the wound is that the tables inside the ballroom were so close together and every single dish would be punctuated by an "excuse me coming through" person. They could have easily placed more tables outside so that the people outside could have more company while also not cramping up the space on the inside.

The food was lousy as it arrived cold and the portioning was pathetic. For example for the fish dish, i was first given a fish head for my portion. I returned it in disgust and they returned with a 5x5x1cm fish mangled fish slice. Well it is not so bad considering that my colleagues had a 5x5x1cm mangled fish slice which is dried from the dish's sauce and my Malay colleague had a pathetic stick of satay.

The planning was a disaster as they clearly have insufficient staff for the amount of tables. They made it worse by asking the staff to portion the dishes into individual plates, hence doubling the amount of trouble the staff had to go through. The food portioners were amateurs too by the way.

This lack of service staff made the food service slow thus all the pathetic portions arrived cold. The staff did not have the time to serve the drinks too and when the beer ran out, we were left parched as there was no tea or soda although we have repeated out request countless times.

We felt that the banquet cheated our money too. As described above, our food portions were really small and we ALL had to go for our own suppers afterwards. However as we were walking around during the event, it is unbelievable that there were still much food left unportioned!

I strongly do not recommend having weddings here or company events. We expected much more as it is the Ritz Carlton but clearly they are not very good in these banquet things. Congratulations to the banquet team as 1200 people will now remember your banquet as the worst ever.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank AdrianLooi
London
Reviewed 2 December 2012

The staff at this hotel could not be more helpful. Very smooth and welcoming check-in and attentive throughout my stay. The rooms are excellent with extremely comfortable beds and everything you could need available of your use. The view from my room (and even my bath) was spectacular!

Food wise, there is a very wide choice in the restaurant and the quality is good.

On the down side, the main bar is at the ground floor level. With such great views available, somewhere near the top of the hotel would be a much better choice. It's also not that safe to walk from the hotel due to the total lack of pedestrian space to the street.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2012

In the last two years I have also stayed at the Mandarin Oriental, the Grand Hyatt and the Conrad in Singapore but the Ritz Carlton is the clear winner in terms of the quality of the rooms. They are large, well-equiped and furnished, with quite high ceilings. Finished in blonde woods they have a strongly fresh and clean feel. There are huge picture windows in both the bedroom and bathroomwith great views. There are a good selection of restaurants and I enjoyed a first class if expensive dinner in the Chinese while breakfast is also good. Service is generally highly attentive in typical Ritz Carlton fashion with lots of staff in the lobby area who are quite good at remembering your name. There are occasional lapses such as it took me several attempts to persuade the service desk that I wanted the Financial Times in the morning rather than the Herald Tribune. The concierge desk is very helpful and there is an attractive pool.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 November 2012

This was the third time I have stayed here, always with club room and lounge access. Theview is spectacular if you are able to get Marina Bay view. The location is ideal. Rooms are spacious and very nicely appointed. Same for bathrooms.
Service in the club lounge has slipped noticeably since my last visit. It was difficult to get a second cup of coffee or glass of wine. Dirty breakfast dishes were not cleared from my table for a long time. In prior visits the attendants were constantly checking to see if you needed anything. It felt like Ritz service. This time it fell far short and was quite frankly annoying.
Also, be aware that this is one of the only Ritz Carltons that does NOT give credit for your stay under Marriott Rewards program. If this is important to you then there is a nice Marriott not too far from here. It's not the location or view of the Ritz, but you will get your points there.
If club lounge experience is not important then I would recommend this hotel for its location and overall experience.
Myself - I may try the Fullerton Bay Hotel next time.

Room Tip: request Marina Bay room on high floor for grew view