“Lovely hotel, but not the best clientele”

The Ritz-Carlton, Millenia Singapore
Ranked #4 of 314 Hotels in Singapore
Melbourne, Australia
“Lovely hotel, but not the best clientele”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Have stayed in several hotels in Singapore and felt that although the hotel itself was quite nice, the guests were not great. They were generally very loud, rude and obnoxious. They would knock you out of the way to get out of the lifts and were so loud we couldn't hear ourselves one night in the restaurant. We began avoiding the hotel's restaurants and bars to get away from them. Unfortunately this is not within the hotel's control, but with so many great hotels in Singapore I would probably not stay here again. The Mandarin Oriental next door is preferable, with more business and wedding guests. Other than the guests, the rooms were a great size and very clean. The views were great and the service wonderful. The pool was nice, but not amazing. In any other location this hotel would probably be 5 stars for me, Singapore is however very competitive.
Good: Room size, service, cleanliness
Bad: Rude guests, pool was just ok

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (977)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel is undoubtedly worthy of its 5 star rating. The club level amenities are excellent, with great food and beverage selection. Room service had a very fast delivery time and food arrived in the same quality it would have if it had been served in a restaurant. The rooms are very spacious and service is generally very good. Location is excellent and the hotel is connected directly to a large mall. The only downfall of this hotel was the buffet breakfast, which didn't have many options and was of an average quality.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Annie O
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Our stay at the Ritz Carlton left us feeling like we did not get our moneys worth. The hotel itself was lovely even though the decor was slightly dated. Unfortunately we arrived during a busy period and was unable to secure a Marina Bay view even if I requested this weeks in advance. The room was big and the bathroom was very luxurious. Customer service was subpar. We were disappointed when we were greeted by a staff member in the lobby with "Can I help you?" instead of a good evening, but quickly apologised when we said we were guests of the hotel. Concierge weren't helpful either and even appeared sarcastic. On the upside, location is great - only a few minutes walk to the flyer and Marina Bay. MRT is also just around the corner. Despite the 5 star rating, I would rate the service as a 3 and would not come back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
RitzCarltonSingapore, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Millenia Singapore, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear nielka8,

While I am glad you find the location of our hotel favorable, I share your sentiments when I read your review on the shortfalls in service that happened during your stay and we did not manage to provide you a room with a different view. Your experience is certainly not the level of service we aspire to provide, nor what our guests have a right to expect, and I unreservedly apologize that it happened.

Have no doubt that we have begun to look into improving in the areas you highlighted. Our Director of Rooms has sent you a message via your TripAdvisor account with the hope to connect with you for more details.

Thank you for taking the time and effort to share your feedback with us and the TripAdvisor community. We very much look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
Peter Mainguy
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights in a deluxe room which has very decent space compared to many other Singapore hotels I have stayed in. Where it scores though, is in the high levels of appointment, amenities and layout. The bed is arguably the best I have ever had, even by 5-star standards. At my request on check-in, I was grateful to be reallocated a room with the Marina view, which was particularly special with the National Day rehearsal fireworks. Everything in the room worked perfectly!

The hotel seems busy. There was a queue when I checked in about 4 pm but staff were highly professional and even served champagne for the wait.

The only issue I had was the hotel couldn't accommodate a later check out without half day charge. I had to meet someone last minute over lunch and informed the front desk I would do this at one of the hotel's restaurants. I had hoped this could provide some flexibility to wrap up business, but that was not to be. Just a small disappointment and perhaps, rooms were fully taken up that day and had to be prepared. It didn't spoil what was a wonderful experience at this top class hotel. I look forward to coming back.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I have spg and Accor platinum membership but chose ritz for location and size of the room condition of the hotel is good but breakfast was the worst in 5 star hotel I have ever stayed first my sister got horrible seakness after eating also they served at grand balleroom underground the atmosphere was the worst it was not ambient at at all food quality was the worst I am leaving to stregis singapore tomorrow cant wait come here for location and for big rooms but other service and food is theworst

• Stayed July 2014
RitzCarltonSingapore, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Millenia Singapore, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear han joo K:
Thank you for your recent visit to and review of The Ritz-Carlton, Millenia Singapore. While I am glad that you enjoyed our room facilities and location, I am terribly sorry to hear about your sub-par breakfast experience. Although temporarily relocated to the Grand Ballroom, any inconsistency in providing you with the most warm, relaxed, yet refined breakfast experience is absolutely unacceptable. Please accept my most profuse apologies and I do sincerely hope that your sister is feeling better as well. Your feedback has been taken seriously and we will pledge to provide you with an improved experience when you visit our hotel in the future.

Best regards,
Peter Mainguy
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Club level marina bay view room.
Club level lounge service excellent. Monica is super nice and helpful. Also in general all members are attentive and try to make stay as good as possible.
Rooms are nice and clean.
Unfortunately, pipe burst on my first day and they had to do 2hr emergency repair in my room. Then on second day 2 of 6 lifts broke down and spent 20min waiting to get downstairs.

Overall, all good except building getting old.

• Stayed July 2014
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 27 July 2014

there is nothing that i don't like, pure 5 star hotel all the way, comfortable beds, spacious room with great MARINA BAY view. great in-room menu with multi-national + above standard quality of foods to choose from.
also, try to dine at their japanese restaurant........ yummy!
however, breakfast could be better with more variety.
highly recommended!!!

Room Tip: a room facing marina bay would be the best.