“A bit expensive but you get what you pay for”

The Ritz-Carlton, Millenia Singapore
Ranked #4 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Sydney, Australia
“A bit expensive but you get what you pay for”
Reviewed 10 August 2010

We visited Singapore on the way back to Australia from Europe. We are frequent travellers to Singapore and stayed many of its hotels in the past (borth for work and leisure).

The Ritz Carlton was a top hotel. Nothing, absolutely nothing to complain about.

From the reception (we arrived at 6am after 13 hours flight and we were given a room for free to sleep till our rooms were available) to the guest relations (who spent 20 mins finding me and booking the German beer restaurant), everything was extremely nice.

The staff even opened the Business Centre at 1am just for me (to allow me check my seats through the internet). What more can anyone ask for?

I have included some photos to show you the views from the room - absolutely magnificent.

Highly recommended and even though it is a bit expensive (even for Singapore standards), you definitely get what you pay for.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (974)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 4 August 2010

I had an enjoyable relaxing stay at this hotel. I loved many aspects of the property, the club lounge, the pool the service and warmth of the staff. It was what one would expect from a top brand name hotel nothing more, or nothing less. My main disappointment with the Ritz Carlton on this stay (and other top 5 star properties anywhere in the world on other stays) are the extorionate rates they charge for the use of a computer to check an email. The charge 15SG$ an hour to use a computer in their business center is a rip off. Thus I paid another 100SG$ per night to upgrade to a club room to have access to a computer. This antagonised me and would only encourage me to choose another property on a future visit. Please remember that not all people are on expense accounts and the facility to check an email is as important to some customers as a morning shower. As long as the Ritz Carlton or any other hotel for that matter continue to charge outrageous rates for the use of an internet I will not in principle use that facility again.

Having said all that this hotel proved itself to be in a category and class of its own when something went wrong. Let me briefly tell you the story. I always travel with an Ipod and listening to music is an important feature of my holiday. On the day before I left I could not find my Ipod. I checked at the swimming pool to see if I had left it there, but to no avail. One hour after reporting it missing, I received a phone call from the head of housekeeping. They had indeed found my ipod. I had left it on my bed.
It was removed with linen and towels and sadly went into the wash. This was my own fault for not taking better care of my own property. However the Ritz took complete responsibility for the damage that was done. The head of housekeeping offered to replace the Ipod, and she understood fully that I would miss my music on a long flight back to europe and was not going to allow that to happen. She bought tapes of all my favourite songs and artists. Over 300 songs were downloaded (in her own time) on to the new Ipod for me and then graciously given to me with a written apology, a bottle of wine and a sincere thank you, for my understanding that what happened was an unintentional accident. I am still over the moon with the graciousness by which the Ritz in Singapore handled this problem. The service provided to me with regard to this matter was beyond all reasonable expectations of what a hotel should deliver when something goes wrong. The matter was handled magnificently and the head of housekeeping is a credit to this beautiful hotel. I will never have a problem staying here again for such a service delivered with real quality and style.

Please please do something about your crazy internet charges

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 1 August 2010

I booked a 'Bed & Bubbles' package that includes a one night stay in a deluxe Marina Bay view and a Butler-drawn bath. I requested for a non-smoking room with a king sized bed on a high storey. My fiance and I were looking forward to a relaxing weekend and catch the national day preview fireworks at the room that I've booked at the Ritz-Carlton.

The check in time stated on the email that they sent to us was 2pm. However, we were only able to make it at 3pm which was also indicated in my booking. But when we got there, we were told by the receptionist at the check in counter that our room was not ready yet and suggested that we wait for an hour while they clean up our room. When I asked the receptionist which floor our room was located, she said its a high floor on the 20th Storey. We were delighted that they managed to get us a room on a high floor as requested and so we gladly waited for an hour with our heavy bags.

After an hour of waiting, we went back to the check in service counter and were issued a key to a room at level 4. We were shocked and thought that the receptionist had made a mistake and so we spoke to the receptionist who served us earlier and was told that the guest in that room had extended his/her stay. We were devastated! We waited for an hour for nothing and how was the last minute extention even possible?

The receptionist couldn't find another room for us except for a room with twin beds on the 21st storey which they can only move us into after 7pm while we rest in the room on the 4th storey. But what was the point of a twin beds room for a honeymoon package? ...and so we had no choice but to settle for the 4th storey room.

The room was nice, and so was the bath room that Ritz-Carlton Singapore is famous for but we didn't think that the fourth floor was suitable for a butler drawn bath package. What turn us off even more was the noises of renovation from another room above ours. We could also hear the noises coming from vehicles that were passing by (Even at mid night!) It was totally uncool. I didn't find it worth the value at all. Regretted choosing Ritz over Fullerton Hotel which has better packages at a better rate.

Over all, I'd say that they have nice rooms, friendly staffs, but a badly organised check in service system. If you are looking for a quiet place and fuss free place to relax, Ritz Carlton is not for you.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank National_Geo
Mumbai, India
Reviewed 28 July 2010

Outstanding hotel. Difficult to find something a miss. Outstanding rooms, large bathrooms with a deep tub overlooking the water. This is true luxury. Another great part of this hotel is the mini bar - priced perhaps like a duty free, very well stocked with wide variety and replenished as often as requested. SPAs small but nice and the massage is value for money compared to what one needs to pay outside for a massage. The buffet has wide variety and they try and please everyone. Overall very nice hotel and completely worth the money

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 12 July 2010

All I can say is there is a reason "the Ritz" mean luxury. the hotel itself, the physical structure, it pretty typical and unremarkable for a Ritz or 5-star hotel, but the customer service is amazing. They were re-doing some bathrooms a couple of floors below and when I mentioned that evening at dinner I could hear some hammering, the waitress told her manager, who came over to our table and immediately volunteered, unsolicited, to move us to another room, and an upgrade at that. I was blown away by their friendliness, professionalism and courtesy. This, after staying 2 nights at the Marina Sand Casino across the river. There is no comparison. The Ritz (which was actually cheaper than the awful sands) was absolutely up to the task. there was nothing they couldn't do. I will not make the mistake of staying anywhere but here again.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Malaysia
Reviewed 6 July 2010

Pros :
1. Situated next to a shopping mall, Marina Bay
2. Huge room
3. Bvlgari toiletries
4. Wide variety of magazines provided in the rooms

Cons :
1. Dated rooms
2. Breakfast buffet was not as impressive as other 5 stars i have tried
3. Very hard mattress....felt like sleeping on a plank

There was a leakage in the toilet on the night we arrived. Called the front desk to complain/seek assistance but the only after 4th attempt...did the staff came. It was already past midnight and I was extremely exhausted...hoping to shower and go to bed. So you can imagine how irritated I was to face that kind of situation. Good thing was the duty manager managed to locate another room for me to switch to (cause the leakage was quite severe). The hotel maintenance sure needs to buck up!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Eeklin
Thessaloniki, Greece
Reviewed 6 July 2010

I have stayed and my wife at Ritz -Carlton Millenia Singapore for three days at a Singapore Airlines stop over in August 2009.
I know that i am a little late but i must write some things for this hotel.
There are no words how good this hotel is.
I do not know where to start, from the beautiful room with the best view and the large bed (it is our first time that we sleep with the curtains open because we want to see the great view) the bathroom with the large window over looking at Singapores harbor.
What can i say for the hotel staff! All the time we felt that anything we want we can have it.
They also gave as a free night when we visit Singapore again.
If i visit Singapore this year i will stay at Ritz -Carlton Millenia Singapore no matter the cost.
I mustn't forget the person who make me feel like i have a friend in Singapore even if i was 9000 Km away from home and he is the reason that i choose Ritz -Carlton Millenia Singapore in my next trip is the bellhop. one of the best employs i have ever meet.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple