“Business hotel image which does not live up to expectations”

Royal Plaza on Scotts
Ranked #44 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 6 April 2011

If you are a regular business traveller who is used to 4+ star hotels, do not stay here.

In my case the company pays so the very overpriced executive room, services, food and beverage charges were not coming out of my pocket- if they were I would be horrified. The staff are very friendly and nice but mostly just plain incompetent. They genuinely try to be helpful and that is to be appreciated.

The room I had was supposedly one of the nicest so I hate to think what the others are like. It was very musty with a smell that had me concerned my suits would grow a layer of mould overnight. The view made me want to keep the curtains closed but to its credit, the sound proofing was good enough to block out most of the construction noises from the building work next door.
What this hotel does offer is a location very close to Orchard Rd so if you are here for shopping and not business it is probably just fine. The free WIFI connection was great and the gym was good as well. The food at the executive lounge leaves a bit to be desired but passable and overall it is just not up to the standard of most genuine business hotels in this price range (or even those in the next bracket down).

Room Tip: If you must stay here then shop for discount deals
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (4,519)

Reviewed 6 April 2011

First time I have stayed at this hotel and probably not the last. I have stayed in a variety of hotels in Singapore and this definitely had a few advantages. The location is great. So close to the shops and within a great walk along Nissin Road to The Botanical Gardens which is quite divine. Close to MRT. The room itself is fine. No bath which was a little disappointing, but perhaps there were some in other rooms. I liked the free internet as in a number of hotels in Singapore you have to pay. Probably one of the nicest free mini bars I have come across. There were beers, soft drinks and a treat of oreo biscuits. Bed was very comfortable. My only slightly negative point was about the pool. The pool itself was fine, a little small, but okay for swimming. The decoration is not very appealing on the eye. However saying that is suited its purpose. A great, enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Lots of eateries around the hotel
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Claire298184
Reviewed 4 April 2011

We stayed at the Royal Plaza for two nights. The location is good for shopping - very close to the ION shopping centre and good connection to MRT.

The hotel is nice enough - highlights are breakfast at Carousel, the friendly staff and nice bathrooms. The less appealing parts are the terrible musty smell (stagnant like on cruise ship corridors), the slightly ageing rooms facing onto other peoples' aircon units and laundry and the grubby pool with greasy frying smells over it the whole time.

They make a big thing of the club level but it's not as good as a BA lounge and always seems to be between offerings - just finished afternoon tea or cocktails or whatever.

We didn't dislike it but it is not good value at £190 a night.

Watch out for the offer to book you a cab to the airport - it's an unmetered 'limo cab' for a higher price than a metered cab.

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed 4 April 2011

We loved the location of the hotel. Every day we would ride the bus or the metro which is just a few minutes walk away. Even if we didnt shop much at Orchard, we loved that RP was just near this very vibrant street.

The room looks exactly like the pictures. A little small but clean, comfortable, equipped with the basic amenities. We loved the complimentary drinks, especially the coffee. We appreciated how generous the hotel was and how considerate the managers were of our special requests.

Concierge was always helpful and very knowledgeable. Our only complaint would be housekeeping who can be more conscientious. Three out of five days we stayed, our bathroom and minibar items weren't refilled adequately. We're not sure if this had anyhting to do with the fact that we were only in the superior room.

All in all, we liked this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 April 2011

I've booked a special promo from groupon singapore & stayed there for a night.

It was amazing, from the smooth check-in to the premiere room we were given & up to the nespresso, free wifi & mini bar :)

i really enjoyed our stay, it was so relaxing. location is excellent, went to shop around orchard. staff are all friendly.

next day we went to eat buffet lunch @ carousel, like the whole hotel experience, it was also unforgettable. food was excellent. there's local food, japanese, delicious salad & not to mention the desserts! heaven!

would definitely go back!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 March 2011

All the wonderful things people say about Singapore – the beautiful diversity, the efficiency, the excellent service, and the amazing food – I found at Royal Plaza on Scotts. Situated right at the heart of the city, it was readily accessible not only to where I had to do business but also to a host of options to wine, dine and unwind. With the pressure and stress of work, the assurance that I would go back to the comfort of Royal Plaza on Scotts in the evening was such a relief.

My hotel room was always made up and all my needs replenished. Unlike in my previous trips where I would go paranoid and secure all my stuff in the safe, I didn’t get that uneasiness all throughout my two-week stay at Royal Plaza on Scotts. All my stuff were secure and waiting for me wherever I left them – but with the room already spic-and-span. PohLing who would make up my room was simply the best. She made me feel so well taken care of.

Carousel, the hotel restaurant and house of their famed international buffet, was where all my mornings would start. I have to say, nothing like an expansive array of food choices can get a day kick-started right. It’s such a plus that they have the best staff and crew. I won’t forget the service and attentiveness I got from the likes of Chef Balvinder, Kay, and Christian.

Back in my room, I was able to experience the same heavenly cuisine with their in-room service. The Hainanese Chicken Rice meal I ordered was simply unforgettable. And while I munched away, I was able to stay connected with family and friends, much thanks to their super-fast complimentary WiFi connection.

I have to say, on my first ever time in Singapore, Royal Plaza on Scotts gave me the best introduction. I couldn’t ask for more. And for sure, I will want to go back!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 March 2011

We stayed 4 nights and I found the hotel and service to be excellent. The location is spot on for both the business we had to do and then the sites to be seen. Rooms are well furnished and a standard size. Complimentary drinks and wifi are a real plus.

• Stayed: March 2011