We used to stay at Royal Plaza on Scotts when we were in the Orchard/Scotts area, but lately we have become accustomed to staying in the less-expensive Bugis Street area. We had to be in the Orchard Road area, and once again, we found that the best deal in the Orchard-Scotts area was Royal Plaza. It’s more expensive than before, but the price is the most competitive. We booked a superior room (no breakfast) through the website. Booking through booking.com would have been only S$1 cheaper. Wi-and LAN are still free, and now there are even more nearby sidewalk cafes where one can eat breakfast (see photo of the hotel’s “RP” logo taken from Starbucks where they serve a good continental breakfast including fruit).
The hotel manager sent a thoughtful e-mail welcoming us back to the Royal Plaza, and check-in was prompt and friendly. We were surprised to be upgraded to a suite on the 7th floor.
The amenities were so enticing that we can understand why guests are willing to pay the extra amount for two rooms (each with its own TV and air conditioning controls) instead of one. The bed was larger, and it seemed more comfortable, and the bathroom was larger with the bathtub located in the extra-large shower. The refrigerator was good sized, and the two beers, two soft drinks, orange drink, and two bottles of water were replenished daily. There was no night light, but we just opened the curtains a bit for light. The coffee maker was sophisticated. It was easy to operate the air conditioning. The room and bathroom were kept extremely clean. Newspapers are left by the door or they are available at the elevator lobby.
The lobby can get quite crowded at times, but it is large, and it seems to be able to accommodate large groups. We noticed people lining up in the lobby area to take high tea at Carousel coffee shop. To access the elevators one has to pass both the concierge and reception desk. You have to insert your key card in order to use the elevator.
The wi-fi signal was good, but it dropped out sometimes, so we used the free LAN which was fast and reliable. We note that most four and five star hotels still charge extra for wi-fi.
Our windows faced the Duty Free building, so there was no noise except from the occasional extra-loud motorcycle that even Singapore cannot eradicate completely. Even though there was a connecting door, it was on the working side of the suite, so our room was quiet.
For guests who use the pedestrian bridge over Scotts Road, the Royal Plaza is almost connected to Far East Plaza’s shops. Even in a rain you can turn right and walk to the Royal Plaza side of Shaw Centre where there are four excellent restaurants right in a row next to each other: Les Amis (maybe too high class for our taste), Aoki Japanese, Bistro du Vin, and La Strada Italian. They are all owned by Les Amis Group. We had dinner at La Strada, and we found the special of the day, lamb shank, especially delicious, but my tortellini stuffed with ricotta and spinach with walnut sauce was also good. They also sold one of our favorite wines by the glass: Moscato d’Asti. The MRT is also at Shaw Centre. You really can’t find a more central location.
When we arrived, my wife had to unload one suitcase from the back of the taxi while a porter stood by idle. We assume this rarely happens. The reception staff was cheerful, friendly and efficient, and the maids, who seem to be making up rooms constantly, are friendly. Check out was equally efficient and friendly. They froze our ice pack in an area near the reception desk and retrieved it quickly.
We are grateful that Royal Plaza at Scotts has maintained their high quality at a comparatively reasonable price. We are members of their Royal Touch loyalty program, and we expect to return frequently.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Royal Plaza on Scotts is a deluxe Singapore hotel offering free WIFI and high-speed wired Internet to cater to your business needs. The rooms are also equipped with free Nespresso gourmet coffee, minibars that are replenished daily and free local calls. Delight yourself with meals at award-wining buffet restaurant, Carousel or try out our delicious Artisan cupcakes by Gourmet Carousel. Enjoy exclusive access to 24 hour facilities such as the Internet Lounge and the gym. Our excellent location in Orchard Road means that we are steps away from iconic shopping malls such as ION Orchard, Paragon and Takashimaya and a 10-minutes' drive to the main business and financial institutions like Marina Bay, Shenton Way and Suntec towers. Upcoming events in Singapore: Food & Hotel Asia 2016, Great Singapore Sale and CommunicAsia 2016 ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Southall Travel, Odigeo, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Royal Plaza on Scotts reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Plaza On Scotts Hotel Singapore
- Royal Plaza On Scotts Singapore