“Average hotel”

Ranked #46 of 308 Hotels in Singapore
Hong Kong, China
“Average hotel”
Reviewed 4 June 2012

As other reviewers have pointed out, this is really no more than a 3 star hotel. It's an excellent location close to Orchard Road, shopping malls, restaurants and the MRT. The rooms are a reasonable size. However my room was dark - the window looked out on the concrete of the neighbouring building, the air conditioning is damp and mildew smelling and the much vaunted free minibar is pretty minimal. The in room Nespersso is a nice touch though. But it misses the mark on other things; lighting in the room is either excessively bright and flourescent or dismally dark, there is no clock and the drains are very noisy. Service is generally good - the staff are for the most part very friendly. However at breakfast the restaurant seems to be overwhelmed. Buffet dishes are not refilled very quickly, it can take a bit of a wait to get seated and on my last day there, the staff bizarrely decided to seat another person with me ( I was alone) and when I questioned the waiter on it he said there was another table available for me. There are lots of hotels in Singapore, although prices there are high and this hotel is in the mid-range of prices. But apparently you get what you pay for.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Jimi59

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (791)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 3 June 2012

I stayed here with my mum for four hights. The hotel is old and tired. Our key to our room (swipe card) malfunctioned and we were locked out of our room for at least 45 minutes. The man that came to fix it wasnt pleasant at all. We asked for late checkout and were denied even though we couldnt get into our room for 45 minutes one day. The only bonus is the location. The price of the meals were through the roof through the hotel and because of this we walked accross the road to the marriot to eat.

Room Tip: Its a very tired hotel and because of the religion of the hotel there is no pork products available.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Bono1979
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 1 June 2012

As stated in other reviews, the hotel is in a great location with very easy access to the MRT, bus stops and taxi stands. There are numerous shops and restaurants in the vicinity. service was excellent from the doorman to housekeeping. My room was small with a view of a brick wall. This would be fine for one night but beyond that I would get claustrophobic. If staying on a longer trip, I would upgrade to a larger room. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The room also came with a free mini bar (soda, water, cookies). The breakfast buffet was on par with the other large hotels in the area. The gym was small but adequate. The pool area was not very comfortable and the changing areas need to be upgraded. The main disadvantage for me was that internet access was VERY unreliable and required me to restart my iPhone and iPad repeatedly. I appreciate it being free but I would have paid to have more consistent access.

Room Tip: Upgrade above the premiere level rooms.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Kat0425
NewcastleAus
Reviewed 31 May 2012

We stayed at Royal Plaza on Scotts for four nights on a leisure visit to Singapore. The location is great - right next to Orchard MRT so it is really easy to get around. The room was comfortable and we appreciated the free minibar and wifi, which worked great most of the time. The staff went out of their way to assist guests and were happy to help with any queries. We really enjoyed our stay here and would certainly stay again if in Singapore.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank shellsb
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 31 May 2012

My husband and I have stayed at Royal Plaza twice in the last 2 years and it has been a wonderful little hotel for us.

We love staying there because:
Location is retty much perfect - very close to the MRT and shopping centres,
Rooms are spacious enough, very comfortable and clean - we enjoy the rain shower in the bathroom and their L'Occitane luxury toiletries ( I even took some away with me for our Europe tour )
Lovely service from staff whom are welcoming, approachable, friendly and always willing to help
100% smoke free
Complimentary wi-fi - fast and very convenient to stay in touch with family/friends
Business Centre - print out your plane tickets/tour tickets without any worries
Complimentary mini-bar - being able to reach for a cold bottled water after a long and hot day of shopping without worrying that the hotel will charge you a fortune for it
Breakfast - tasty with good variety

Our most recent stay was for 3 nights (29th April - 2nd May). We booked the Club Deluxe Room. Check in was quick and seamless and after a few minutes of settling into our room they brought us some delicious chocolates from their restaurant to congratulate us on our honeymoon.

We will make sure that we stay at RP on Scotts on our future trips to Singapore.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Danzelldc
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 30 May 2012

Got to stay at the hotel due to Malaysian passport holder offer. We took two rooms for us a family of 6. My 3 boys stayed in the connecting room (thanks to Li Qi and Sarah). Free minibar though i wished they would keep the Tiger Beer out of it and replace it with two more Coca-Cola as we do not drink. The wifi is complimentary which was nice though it was faster in my kids room than ours. TV is wide screen and the bed is King Size. My wife and I had trouble sleeping through the night not sure why but the kids slept like a baby. The toilet and toiletries were excellent. There is no kids pool at the hotel as the pool is only suitable for adults as it is quite deep (1.5m and above). The receptionist were quite attentive and responded well to request. Didn't try the breakfast as it was not included in our offer but a nice paratta place is available just 5 minutes walk from the hotel across the road to Far East Plaza. Try the Cheese paratta which is just excellent and the best we've tasted. We would definitely recommend the hotel to people we know.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Nash09
Cyberjaya, Malaysia
Reviewed 30 May 2012

It wasn't a love at first sight surveying the exterior and the interior sight of the building. Its not the newest building in the city but it all changed when I stepped in...

Being a frequent business traveler to Singapore and have stayed in many 4-5 star hotels around the CBD area, I'd say that the experience is everything a traveler would wanna have, a minibar with everything free in it (water, sodas, beers, snack, cookies), great asian food selections in their restaurant, mini coffee machine in the room (what the what!??) and most importantly CLEAN, spotless bathroom AND bath tub. Didn't have time to jump inside the pool facilities (which looks cute and divine), only had a glimpse, but will definitely pay a trip there next time.

Location wise, its a haven for shoppers. Though its not the closest venue for the major conference or expo like Suntec or Marina Bay, but the nearest MRT is just 5 mins walk away.

Saw a lot of Bruneians around, perhaps cos the resto here caters all-Halal meals, which is a rare thing to get in Singapore.

Tip: If you're a fan of macarons, do get at least a DOZEN of Canele Pattiserie's macarons. Everytime I walked out and in from the hotel, I bought one each and its just ridiculously delicious - chewy with a crisp on every munch. Its almost or at least on par with Parisian standard, having sampled best macarons around the world.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business