“Location, easy going and comfortable” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Royal Plaza on Scotts

Royal Plaza on Scotts
Ranked #44 of 309 Hotels in Singapore
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
“Location, easy going and comfortable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012 via mobile

This hotel is very friendly and not pretentious at all which I really liked.
We arrived from Rome very early, but even when we arrived, they quickly took our bags, made us tea and coffee in the level 2 lounge and arranged us a room by 930am. That is very unusual these days. They also allowed us to check out a little late the next day.
The In room mini bar is nice and the Internet is great. We enjoyed the pool too.
I'd say this Hotel is more 4 star than 5 star, but we found it met our needs and exceeded the sort of service you would expect, so I've given our experience a 5.
location is perfect and unbeatable. For a good hotel at a decent price, this is your pad.
We would return in a flash.

Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Emma S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (774)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2012

The hotel was comfortable, clean and quiet and is in a prime position close to Orchard Road. The room was in good condition with very good fittings and features. The bed was comfortable. The staff were friendly and helpful. What more could you want? How about a FABULOUS buffet for breakfast, a FABULOUS buffet High Tea (not the scones and cream English version - more like an early dinner!) and a FABULOUS buffet dinner! Yum.

Room Tip: Book for the High Tea or you may miss out!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank AussieBJ
rpcrm, General Manager at Royal Plaza on Scotts, responded to this review, 15 June 2012
Dear AussieBJ

Thank you for a nice review “Good hotel in a good location”. What else one needs when travelling? Yes, they also need it to be clean, comfortable and quiet with fabulous food. You have said it all.

You will be pleased to know that the Carousel, has been winning the best buffet restaurant award in Singapore from the past three consecutive years.

Once again thank you for staying with us. See you!

Patrick Fiat
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2012

RP is in a great location for shopping and restaurants. How ever our room was in need of a make over it was a very tired. We kept sticking to the stain on the carpet at the foot of our bed. Our beds were very comfortable with nice linen and clean. The bathroom was clean. The chair in our room had stain on it that wasn't very nice. The staff at breakfast are excellent, breakfast was good. I would stay here again because of location.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that isn't looking at a brick wall.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Downunders45
Colombo, Sri Lanka
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

When I first walked into the lobby of Royal Plaza on Scotts I took in a deep breath on seeing the interior design and the zillion people milling about. For design and privacy, I would rather have walked into the lobby of the Grand Hyatt or Mandarin Orchard. Nevertheless, in my view, the best aspects about RP are: it is conveniently located on Orchard Road in the midst of all the major shopping centres (although I prefer the quayside/riverfront area, which is quieter and pleasanter); it is a completely smoke-free hotel; internet is free (not common in Singapore) and available via WiFi and LAN; there is, additionally, a very nice internet lounge; my deluxe bedroom was very spacious with a comfortable bed and pillows, nice writing area, and other amenities such as a kettle, coffee machine, mugs, teaspoons, iron, etc.; the bathroom had two great showerheads including a monsoon shower; the bedlinen and towels were white, stain-free and appeared/felt clean; the air-conditioning was adjustable; contents in the mini-bar were complimentary; and the staff were courteous, helpful and available at all times! What I did not like were the sealed windows (you cannot let in any fresh air, even though my room window overlooked a semi-open parking area in the adjoining building so I could not even open the curtains) and the wall-to-wall carpeting. The housekeeping department left much to be desired and could do well with some training or better supervision. I do not think the carpet was vacuumed well (it did not feel clean underfoot and I found some pieces of things that blended with the carpet design, and heaven knows what lies under the bed - I did not dare to look) and I do not know how often or if it is shampooed; I found hair that did not belong to me on the bathroom floor; the toilet seat had smudges and two droplet stains (often travelling on work and having to stay in grubby places, I am usually well-equipped, so, before a shower, I cleaned the seat myself with antiseptic, short of using disposable seat covers); the shower cubicle glass had smears all over it (what happens when a cloth too wet and grubby is used to wipe glass and it dries leaving streaks); the corners where horizontal tiling meets vertical tiling should be scrubbed and cleaned better; and there was dust on some furniture, magazines and information cards, on the telephone and the ice bucket. However, I suspect the air quality was still alright as I did not suffer from allergic rhinitis (mustiness or stale smoke would have been sure-fire triggers). I ordered room service, which was good, but pricey, yes. But one really does not need to have meals at this hotel; there are so many options available right around, both over-ground and underground!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank NJSL
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

As other reviewers have pointed out, this is really no more than a 3 star hotel. It's an excellent location close to Orchard Road, shopping malls, restaurants and the MRT. The rooms are a reasonable size. However my room was dark - the window looked out on the concrete of the neighbouring building, the air conditioning is damp and mildew smelling and the much vaunted free minibar is pretty minimal. The in room Nespersso is a nice touch though. But it misses the mark on other things; lighting in the room is either excessively bright and flourescent or dismally dark, there is no clock and the drains are very noisy. Service is generally good - the staff are for the most part very friendly. However at breakfast the restaurant seems to be overwhelmed. Buffet dishes are not refilled very quickly, it can take a bit of a wait to get seated and on my last day there, the staff bizarrely decided to seat another person with me ( I was alone) and when I questioned the waiter on it he said there was another table available for me. There are lots of hotels in Singapore, although prices there are high and this hotel is in the mid-range of prices. But apparently you get what you pay for.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Jimi59
Perth, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2012

I stayed here with my mum for four hights. The hotel is old and tired. Our key to our room (swipe card) malfunctioned and we were locked out of our room for at least 45 minutes. The man that came to fix it wasnt pleasant at all. We asked for late checkout and were denied even though we couldnt get into our room for 45 minutes one day. The only bonus is the location. The price of the meals were through the roof through the hotel and because of this we walked accross the road to the marriot to eat.

Room Tip: Its a very tired hotel and because of the religion of the hotel there is no pork products available.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Bono1979
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2012

As stated in other reviews, the hotel is in a great location with very easy access to the MRT, bus stops and taxi stands. There are numerous shops and restaurants in the vicinity. service was excellent from the doorman to housekeeping. My room was small with a view of a brick wall. This would be fine for one night but beyond that I would get claustrophobic. If staying on a longer trip, I would upgrade to a larger room. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The room also came with a free mini bar (soda, water, cookies). The breakfast buffet was on par with the other large hotels in the area. The gym was small but adequate. The pool area was not very comfortable and the changing areas need to be upgraded. The main disadvantage for me was that internet access was VERY unreliable and required me to restart my iPhone and iPad repeatedly. I appreciate it being free but I would have paid to have more consistent access.

Room Tip: Upgrade above the premiere level rooms.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo