“Not really sure why this hotel has such a high rating on TripAdvisor”

Royal Plaza on Scotts
Ranked #46 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Hong Kong
“Not really sure why this hotel has such a high rating on TripAdvisor”
Reviewed 7 September 2013

We stayed here on a one night stopover, I have stayed in a lot of hotels in Singapore (including others on this same trip) and I would only rate this as average in comparison to others and would not stay here again. The website inidcates that this is a deluxe hotel, it is not. The room decor was very tired and old and in need of a complete refursbishment, however the room size was quite good. The bed was very hard. The hotel does have a good Orchard Rd location (across from the Hyatt - which imo is a much better hotel). There is work going on around the outside of the building, but we didn't notice this. The hotel does have free minibar (a couple of soda's, which we didn't want) and internet access (which we did use). There was a good selection for the buffet breakfast. We didn't use the pool but it looked nice, although I imagine wit would get crowded. We stayed here because it was slightly cheaper than other hotels at the time - there is a reason for this and we would pay an extra $20-$30 to stay elsewhere next time.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LionHongKong

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (800)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Council Bluffs
Reviewed 5 September 2013

This hotel was booked for me by our local office in Singapore. It didn't disappoint. I had a large corner room that had all of the conveniences. It even had adapters in the room so I could use my adapters I brought for charging needs. The room was clean. The room comes with a mini fridge with various juices, sodas, water and Oreos. I drank the water and gave the rest to my coworkers everyday. Be sure to clear it out as comes with your room.
I had breakfast daily at the hotel and it has every option available, you will not be disappointed. The staff was always very friendly and helpful promptly when I did make a couple requests. I also never waited more than 5-10 minutes for a taxi even in peak, so I don't think you need to pay extra for the service of a reservation for your taxi.

The only con was the shower. The pressure on the rain setting was too low to feel clean so using the handheld was a bit inconvenient.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Good location, easy access to Orchard Road. Plenty of eating places nearby. Near to Orchard MRT. One major disappointment was that when we made the bookings, we requested for an extra bed for a child, but when we arrived we were told any request s were upon availability, not guaranteed. Extra charge of S$70/night for the extra bed, an extra expense we didn't plan for !

Room Tip: kettle is found inside the wardrobe !
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I've always been pretty ambivalent about this hotel which I've only stayed at for their decent corporate rate. My last stay there was the last straw. On my reservation I was guaranteed early check-in since my flight was coming into Singapore in the morning, due to a flight delay I arrived for check-in at 2 in the afternoon and they shuffled me off to a "broom closet" of a waiting room to await my rooms availability. They never did come retrieve me as stated but when I returned to the front desk an hour later my room was available. Complete lack of follow through. The hotel has a somewhat stale smell about it and one of the elevators smells of urine. One of the attendants at the concierge desk was the opposite of helpful with lots of blank looks, hanging questions and incorrect directions. The restaurant downstairs is decent but often booked or full. Luckily there is plenty of food nearby. The entryway to the lobby from the street seems to be under eternal construction and reminds me of a dark cave.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Lowbrow909
Tokyo
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Thanks for RP made me and my fiancee had a great memory this time.
We had a great sleep quality and great coffee in the room every morning.
We really had a great time in Singapore. We will choose RP again when we visit Singapore next time.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 3 September 2013

of all the fancy hotels on scotts rd this one is beats them all for a night stay. free use of minibar ensures you have a good night and great breakfast downstairs for a fantastic start to next day.
Highly recommended for business travel and overnight stays. compared to the hyatt, hiltons and Marriott this one is a clear winner with value and quality.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed 3 September 2013

If you are mainly interested in the shops and malls of Orchard and Tanglin Roads, this hotel is in the perfect location. A short stroll brings you to Isetan and all the main shops as well as a subway station.
We upgraded to the club floor after seeing the high cost of food - either the superb full buffet for the very hungry, expensive snacks and drinks in the bar or very expensive room service. The club lounge provided us with very good value and enough snacks to keep us going. The rooms are comfortable with quite spacious bathrooms.
We enjoyed our stay - a return visit - and would stay there again even with the turkey bacon! Why a Muslim-owned hotel won't have pork but allows alcohol is beyond me.

Room Tip: I liked the club floor.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family