“Above average” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #44 of 309 Hotels in Singapore
Brisbane, Australia
“Above average”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

On arrival we were checked in fairly quickly, with only a 2 hour wait for check in after our 9am arrival. The room is adequate with a lovely shower and nespresso machine which was a nice touch. The pillows I found uncomfortable. We were on our honeymoon so were provided with chocolates the first night of our stay which was very thoughtful. The location is fantastic, and for that alone I would consider staying again however I like many others were annoyed with the renovations occurring during our stay, especially as it was not declared. There is a lack of dining options which is a shame and not enough seating in the lobby. For me, I enjoyed our stay but I think there is better in Singapore and I certainly wasn't over impressed.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
RoyalPlazaSG, General Manager at Royal Plaza on Scotts, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear Stephanieleanne,

Greetings from Royal Plaza on Scotts!

Thank you for taking the time to share your stay experience with us. It is heartening to know that our location has served you well for your holiday. I am delighted that you and your partner enjoyed the chocolates.

I do regret that we were not able to accord a pillow change while you were still in-house. Moving forward, a quick call to our housekeeping team indicating your preference would ensure that your stay is more comfortable. Thank you for your patience as we upgrade our facade – we are just a few weeks away from completion and promise that it’ll be worth the wait!

Many of our guests enjoy the varied spread in Carousel – however, I am happy to share that more dining options are in the works for us and we are excited to be enhancing the experience of our guests and patrons! Do return to stay with us again soon to enjoy these new developments soon.

Please visit us again should your travels bring you back to Singapore and we look forward to welcoming you at Royal Plaza on Scotts.

Patrick Fiat

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (774)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

Stayed 3 nights in April.

Booked direct via the website. Reservation team was very helpful. Airline changed my flight resulting in me having to remove 1 night from the booking. Changed with no problem at all. Then the airline reverted back to the original flight resulting in me having to add 1 night to the booking again. Royal Plaza Reservation Team did this with no issues, and kept the original rate which I am very happy about.

Hotel is clean and comfortable. A short walk to the MRT and with the many shops of Orchard Road all around. A very central location.

Included buffet breakfast at Carousel had good variety and coffee/tea/plate clearing service from the staff. Free mini bar is nice touch.

One thing I found unusual is that the hotel does not reserve a small number of tables at Carousel (for dinner) for hotel guests. I wanted to book a special dinner on our 2nd night there as it was the wedding anniversary of 2 in our party, and was told the only availability was 8.30pm, which is late for a buffet, and was put on the "we will call you if there is a cancellation list". I returned later that night to follow up and very thankfully the Manager made special consideration and allowed me to book at 6.30pm. This saved the occasion and the dinner was very much enjoyed by all. Food quality excellent and the complimentary cake with candle was a nice touch.

There was construction on the facade of the hotel during our stay. This was noted in all reservation correspondence. This meant it was noisy in the lobby, but not in the rooms.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear meandmyreviews,

Thank you for taking time to write this detailed and thoughtful review. First of all, your recognition of the Reservation Team’s service is very encouraging and has affirmed the hotel’s commitment to excellent service. Rest assured your compliments will be passed on to the team - they will be delighted to learn that they shaped yet another positive experience.

I hope our opportune location at the heart of the Orchard Road shopping district made for a more convenient stay for your shopping and dining needs. I am also glad to hear you found the room to be clean and comfortable. The complimentary minibar and in-room Nespresso machine are aimed at bringing convenience and great value to our guests, so I am delighted to hear that you found it a nice touch.

I would like to express my sincere appreciation for your honest feedback. We have certainly taken note of your suggestion in regards to setting aside some tables for in-house hotel guests. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention, as your feedback is without doubt a resourceful insight to us. I regret that the reservation for your dinner did not come off to a great start due to our high volume of diners that night. Nevertheless, I am glad you managed to enjoy your dinner buffet at Carousel, and it was our pleasure to have you with us on such a special occasion.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Royal Plaza on Scotts soon.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

I stayed here on a stop over and wish I had stayed longer.. From the moment you are greeted by the doorman to walking into the lobby you just know you have found a nice hotel. The rooms are huge with fantastic views. Superb breakfast buffet with anything you could possibly ask for or want.. No need for lunch.
Located within walking distance to Ion shopping center and quay with restaurants just around the corner.
Will be back on my next visit in 2014.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the harbour... Try executive suite and get what you pay for.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Simon M,

Greetings from Royal Plaza on Scotts!

Thank you so much for your lovely review. My team and I are delighted that you were comfortable and well-taken care of during your recent stay. Your compliments and recommendations are also truly appreciated.

I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed our breakfast buffet at Carousel. I do hope you get a chance to try our dinner buffet too – the spread is even more impressive! It is good to know that our prime location in the Orchard Road district has served you well for your trip with plenty of shopping and dining options.

Thank you again for your compliments – we certainly look forward to having you with us again on your next visit to Singapore!

London U.K.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Entrance and parts of ground floor are under reconstruction. Reception was a tad automon
but room as we required and priced as agreed.Restaurant looked ok but pricey, but, in Singapore why eat where you stay?..Drink prices in the ground floor bar were prohibitive.
On the plus side the Commissionaires desk was very helpful

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Thekiwikid,

Greetings from Royal Plaza on Scotts!

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback with us. We regret to learn that your stay was not as rewarding an experience as it should have been. While there are many outstanding food options in Singapore, I hope that you will make an exception should you stay with us again. I am extremely pleased to share that Carousel has an impressive dinner spread that many of our patrons have voted as a “must-try”. The success of our buffet is much thanks to the votes of confidence given by many of our regular diners as well as our hardworking F&B service team and chefs.

We have taken note of your feedback on our drink pricing and will review it. Many of our guests enjoy the drinks given complimentary in our in-room minibar and Nespresso coffee machine – it makes for a more convenient and value-adding stay!

I am happy to hear our concierge team was helpful. Do let us know if there is anything else that we can improve on your next stay. We are always happy to hear from you and hope to have a chance to welcome you back to Royal Plaza soon.

Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights on our way to Vietnam. The room is quite small for the price that you pay for. They have construction going on at the front so the entrance is always busy. Service is a bit cold, i find. Complimentary mini bar was a nice touch but i figured it was to make up for the on going renovation.

Breakfast buffet was excellent, had a wide variety of food. I didn't order any room services so couldn't comment on that. And the staff at the restaurant was very warm, welcome and helpful especially with my two little kids.

I booked 2 rooms, one for my dad and he arrived before me. He didn't know the room was already paid for. I did email the hotel in advanced that if he arrived, just let him check in his room first. My dad wasn't sure if he selected the right room package, etc so in the end, he waited for more than an hour for me to arrive. No one advised him that the room had already been paid for. It could be a language problem between my dad and the clerk but I was a bit annoyed giving the fact that I already advised the hotel to let him go up to his room first.

After i checked in, i received a call to say that since i didn't leave my credit card details for bond (which I did with another hotel clerk), everything had to pay in cash, etc. I don't think the front staff communicated to each other very well. it wasn't a big deal but it didn't make it a nice experience overall. For a 5 star hotel, i expect a bit more than that.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Uyenneth
Dear cict2011,

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your detailed review with us.

Our complimentary minibar and in-room Nespresso machine are aimed at bringing convenience and great value to our guests should they be too busy to head out for a bite or a quick sip of coffee, and I am glad that you enjoyed these little gestures on our part. I am particularly concerned with the issue about cold service that you raised and regret if we gave you the impression that your stay was not important to us. Please allow me to assure you that this is not in our service standard and we will continue training our staff to deliver service excellence.

I am delighted to hear that your experience in Carousel was rewarding and that our F&B team had the chance to interact with your two little kids during your meal. I am pleased to share that we have just won the award for best buffet restaurant by AsiaOne People’s Choice Awards for the 5th consecutive year. This is due to the unwavering support by our guests and patrons – do continue to dine with us on your subsequent visits to Singapore!

I regret to learn that your check-in process was not as smooth as it should have been and understand the frustration on your part, especially since you had kindly taken care to inform our reservations team prior to your arrival. I agree that we were not at our best and the miscommunication could have been avoided. We will take measures to prevent this from happening again in future and strive to be more empathetic towards our guests.
We will strive to improve our internal communication and ensure that this does not compromise our guests’ stay experience in future. I sincerely hope you will give us another chance to take care of you to show you that we can do better. Please drop us a note the next time you are planning to visit Singapore – we hope to host you again!

Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

We spent three comfortable nights pre-cruise at the RP. The room with two beds was reasonably large, very clean with a nice bathroom. The complimentary mini-bar was a nice touch as was the included breakfast buffet that had a huge selection of Western, Asian, Indian and Halal dishes.
The hotel is nicely located close to the MTR, shopping and many restaurants.
The concierge was very helpful in arranging a couple of tours. The housekeeping staff was also friendly and helpful, delivering at our request a supply of several face washcloths.
The only downside was the limited dining options at the hotel confined to the Carousel Buffet. We are not large eaters or fond of buffets so this was disappointing especially considering that the price on Friday evening went from S$65 pp to S$75 pp. On Saturday a "special' themed buffet was offered and the price bumped to S$95 pp that we thought was really to take advantage of the busiest night of the week. Needless to say except for breakfast we dined elsewhere and enjoyed excellent meals at Jumbo (East Coast location) and in Chinatown.

Room Tip: If you book a deluxe room make sure you are placed on a floor in the upper half of the building.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear JohnfromAlliston,

Thank you for taking the time to write us such a detailed review.

We appreciate your generous compliments with regards to our rooms, our service and our excellent location. I am glad you enjoyed the complimentary minibar which we bring to our guests to eliminate inconvenience – many of our guests have mentioned that it is of great value.

Please be assured that your compliments will be shared with our colleagues from Concierge and Housekeeping. Your recognition of the team’s service is very encouraging and has affirmed the hotel’s commitment to excellent service.

I just wanted to share with you that the special themed buffet you mentioned in your review was likely to be our Mother’s Day Special which took place on a Sunday the second weekend of May. The promotional pricing for that special was actually $75 before taxes and service charge. For the Saturday that you mentioned, our pricing was actually fixed at standard weekend dinner pricing, which is only $78 before taxes and service charge.. I am particularly concerned that you understood our pricing to be $95 before taxes and service charge and regret if it influenced your decision against dining with us. I do hope you will give our buffet a try the next time you are in Singapore – I am happy to share that we have just won the Best Buffet Restaurant award at the AsiaOne People’s Choice Award for the 5th year running thanks to the support of our valued patrons and the hard work of our F&B team.

Once again, thank you for staying with us. I do hope you will write in to us with regards to the confusion about our dinner pricing to see if we can further clear things up for you and perhaps have a chance to have you dine with us soon.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

The staff were very pleasantly helpful. They were all smiles, wishes & work amazingly fast.
For Muslims, this hotel has halal food & a variety of spread for its buffet.
Located at shoppers paradise & so convenient to get around.
Will definitely stay here again & again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear zue-mael,

Thank you so much for your lovely review. It is assuring to learn that our hotel has assisted in providing you warm, speedy and attentive service.

I am glad to learn you enjoyed our spread at Carousel and, of course, our opportune location which grants our guests easy access to the iconic Orchard shopping haven.

Once again, thank you for staying with us. We look forward to welcoming you at the Royal Plaza on Scotts again and again as well. Perhaps we will be seeing you soon – the Great Singapore Sale is coming soon and will be going on for a while!