this is a nice modern hotel in the heart of the orchard shopping district. hotels / malls / train stations all connect to each other in Singapore city via almost another city underground. these interconnecting pedestrian tunnels go under the road from mall to mall and connect hotels to malls to train stations. all are well lit and well used and well air-conditioned - which is a bonus in Singapore.
there are many malls to eat in. if you haven't been to Singapore before there are many eating options: you can eat in the many food halls in the shopping malls (make sure you look for the A rating)or if you prefer there are restaurants in the malls and train stations too. I am a bit of a worrier when it comes to food hygiene and couldn't get myself into the mind set to enjoy eating in the food halls. for example the food republics were so crowded and the food seemed to be on display all day without any refrigeration. I did prefer to eat in the restaurants.
if you are from Australia you may find that although there are a so many big shiny malls the shopping isn't that great. most of the shops are repeated over and over again and we have many of them in Australia. the cost of things seems to be a bit more expensive than we would pay at home (the Singapore $ being about on par with the nz$ when we went). shops like marks and spencer from the UK were way over priced. In my opinion M & S are shops where you buy the basics at reasonable prices. the prices when the products are shipped to Singapore and translated to Singapore $ are not reasonable any more $34 for a pair of boys shorts. Sephora is way over priced not the bargain it is in the USA.
Back to the hotel. this hotel does buffets - only buffets for every meal. so you cant get a meal unless you do room service if you don't want to pay for a buffet. the buffets are quite pricey as all buffets are ie $68 for dinner I think. Best to shop around the internet for a deal and get your room with the breakfast included. Then fend for yourself in a mall restaurant for dinner
as with all Singapore hotels that I found, you have to book 2 rooms if you are a family of four. we were lucky to get interconnecting rooms. the rooms are smallish but really modern and clean. the mini bar is free. It holds water bottles - you get so much water in the rooms that you don't need to buy it outside- soft drink cans and packets of biscuits.
if you are here with younger kids (ours were 7 and 8) the heat of Singapore means that you can only trot around and sight see till about mid afternoon before you have to give the kids a break. then you need a hotel with a good pool. this isn't that hotel. they have smallish deck with a quite small deep pool (1.5metres to 2.something metres) . ideal for the business traveller or adults with older kids, but too deep and too small for the kids. the previous week we stayed at the pan pacific - much better pool
if you are adults or older kids and wanting to shop this is the ideal position to be in. trains are fast, frequent and easy to negotiate, if you want to do hop on hop off bus tours these go from the suntec plaza (where the pan pacific is - separate review). easy to get the train there.
my final bit of advice would be : Singapore is a great place to stop for about 4 days (we stayed 7). If you can time your stay, try and do it during the week. on the weekend the city and train stations become really busy making the simple requirement of getting from a to b to get dinner an ordeal of crowd negotiation. if you want to do universal studios or the zoo etc the queues may well not be worth the trip during the weekend. it is hot and humid in Singapore pace yourself accordingly
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Royal Plaza on Scotts is a deluxe Singapore hotel offering free WIFI and high-speed wired Internet to cater to your business needs. The rooms are also equipped with free Nespresso gourmet coffee, minibars that are replenished daily and free local calls. Delight yourself with meals at award-wining buffet restaurant, Carousel or try out our delicious Artisan cupcakes by Gourmet Carousel. Enjoy exclusive access to 24 hour facilities such as the Internet Lounge and the gym. Our excellent location in Orchard Road means that we are steps away from iconic shopping malls such as ION Orchard, Paragon and Takashimaya and a 10-minutes' drive to the main business and financial institutions like Marina Bay, Shenton Way and Suntec towers. Upcoming events in Singapore: Food & Hotel Asia 2016, Great Singapore Sale and CommunicAsia 2016 ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Booking.com, Odigeo, Ctrip TA, Hotels.com and Southall Travel so you can book your Royal Plaza on Scotts reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Plaza On Scotts Hotel Singapore
- Royal Plaza On Scotts Singapore