“nice hotel if you have young kids pool is not very good tho” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Royal Plaza on Scotts

Royal Plaza on Scotts
Ranked #44 of 309 Hotels in Singapore
melbourne
“nice hotel if you have young kids pool is not very good tho”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

this is a nice modern hotel in the heart of the orchard shopping district. hotels / malls / train stations all connect to each other in Singapore city via almost another city underground. these interconnecting pedestrian tunnels go under the road from mall to mall and connect hotels to malls to train stations. all are well lit and well used and well air-conditioned - which is a bonus in Singapore.
there are many malls to eat in. if you haven't been to Singapore before there are many eating options: you can eat in the many food halls in the shopping malls (make sure you look for the A rating)or if you prefer there are restaurants in the malls and train stations too. I am a bit of a worrier when it comes to food hygiene and couldn't get myself into the mind set to enjoy eating in the food halls. for example the food republics were so crowded and the food seemed to be on display all day without any refrigeration. I did prefer to eat in the restaurants.

if you are from Australia you may find that although there are a so many big shiny malls the shopping isn't that great. most of the shops are repeated over and over again and we have many of them in Australia. the cost of things seems to be a bit more expensive than we would pay at home (the Singapore $ being about on par with the nz$ when we went). shops like marks and spencer from the UK were way over priced. In my opinion M & S are shops where you buy the basics at reasonable prices. the prices when the products are shipped to Singapore and translated to Singapore $ are not reasonable any more $34 for a pair of boys shorts. Sephora is way over priced not the bargain it is in the USA.

Back to the hotel. this hotel does buffets - only buffets for every meal. so you cant get a meal unless you do room service if you don't want to pay for a buffet. the buffets are quite pricey as all buffets are ie $68 for dinner I think. Best to shop around the internet for a deal and get your room with the breakfast included. Then fend for yourself in a mall restaurant for dinner

as with all Singapore hotels that I found, you have to book 2 rooms if you are a family of four. we were lucky to get interconnecting rooms. the rooms are smallish but really modern and clean. the mini bar is free. It holds water bottles - you get so much water in the rooms that you don't need to buy it outside- soft drink cans and packets of biscuits.

if you are here with younger kids (ours were 7 and 8) the heat of Singapore means that you can only trot around and sight see till about mid afternoon before you have to give the kids a break. then you need a hotel with a good pool. this isn't that hotel. they have smallish deck with a quite small deep pool (1.5metres to 2.something metres) . ideal for the business traveller or adults with older kids, but too deep and too small for the kids. the previous week we stayed at the pan pacific - much better pool

if you are adults or older kids and wanting to shop this is the ideal position to be in. trains are fast, frequent and easy to negotiate, if you want to do hop on hop off bus tours these go from the suntec plaza (where the pan pacific is - separate review). easy to get the train there.

my final bit of advice would be : Singapore is a great place to stop for about 4 days (we stayed 7). If you can time your stay, try and do it during the week. on the weekend the city and train stations become really busy making the simple requirement of getting from a to b to get dinner an ordeal of crowd negotiation. if you want to do universal studios or the zoo etc the queues may well not be worth the trip during the weekend. it is hot and humid in Singapore pace yourself accordingly

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank willea
RoyalPlazaSG, General Manager at Royal Plaza on Scotts, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear willea

Greetings from Royal Plaza on Scotts! Thank you for taking the time to leave us a such a comprehensive review.

I am glad our location in the heart of the Orchard shopping district served you well during your stay with us. I do regret that our pool was not the most ideal for your young children.

I am happy to share that we have just unveiled a brand new dining option at Level 1 of our hotel – A.T.O.S, that serves Asian tapas and drinks.

Thank you for the compliments for our modern and clean rooms, and I hope that the free mini-bar amenities added value and convenience to your stay.

Once again, thank you for staying with us. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Patrick Fiat

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (774)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Carlton, Tasmania, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights. The staff were friendly and very helpful. My sister left her mobile phone in a cab and they did everything they could to find it. Lesson learnt, if we ever go to Singapore again we will get receipts from the taxi drivers. they could have contacted the driver almost immediately instead of having to review the security footage. (It's amazing how you can't even agree on the colour of the cab you catch when on holiday). I booked this hotel myself direct from their website and before leaving Australia I had an email asking if I had any room preferences, for example a room with a view, a high floor or a lower one. I requested that the 2 rooms I booked were on the same floor and they actually gave us rooms not only on the same floor but right next to each other. It made our time there so much easier (just a bang on the door). Breakfast was great, a huge spread. The hotel (with some other hotels) provide a free shuttle to Sentosa Island which was handy. The location was great and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
      Location
1 Thank Rebecca S
Dear Rebecca S

Greetings from Royal Plaza on Scotts! Thank you for taking the time to leave us a lovely review.

I truly appreciate your kind words for our staff, and I am pleased to hear that the team did their best to assist in locating your sister’s mobile phone. I am also glad to hear that the email we sent prior to your arrival helped us accord you a room to your preference and made your stay that much easier.

Once again, thank you for staying with us. We look forward to taking care of you again on your next visit to Singapore!

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights and it was exactly what we needed.

Pleasant hotel, Central location (far end of orchard rd so away from hustle) and close to the metro station for ease of exploring the city.

The room itself was fine, they provided a cot for our daughter too.

We didn't eat dinner here, the breakfast was pretty good and the staff were great, if coming back to Singapore - we would stay here again.

Stayed July 2014
Dear NoseyExplorer

Greetings from Royal Plaza on Scotts! Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.

I’m glad to hear our hotel provided exactly what you needed during your 3 night stay in Singapore. Our guests love our central location, and I’m pleased to hear that it served you well too. It is certainly very easy to explore the city by the MRT, and our central location is near many popular tourist destinations!

Thank you for your compliments for our staff and breakfast. We look forward to welcoming you back soon on your next visit to Singapore!

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

My family and I had stayed at the hotel for 3 nights in July and we love it here. The staff are very friendly and kind to us. The rooms are very cozy and well furnished, especially that they provided us a baby cot for our daughter which help us the sleep through the night without struggling with her. They even made I fall in love with Nespresso by putting one in our room :).
We had dinner at the Lobby restaurant and it had became one of our favorite night in Singapore. They served several kind of dishes from Malaysian to Indian and western food, and especially the sea food.
We had a great time here and definitely will come back in our next trip.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Thu-Huy

Thank you for taking the time to write us a nice review. I am delighted to hear that you and your family had a nice stay with us during your stay in July. Thank you for your generous compliments for our friendly and kind staff.

I am delighted to hear that your favourite night in Singapore was when you dined at our buffet restaurant Carousel! I am pleased to share that it is thanks to the support of our diners and guests that we have won SPH’s AsiaOne People’s Choice Awards for best buffet restaurant once more this year, for the fifth consecutive year.

Once again, thank you for staying with us. Do come back soon to enjoy our Nespresso machine and cosy rooms!

Pflugerville, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

I am going to be a little tough because the Royal Plaza was recently remodeled and they have made changes to their policies as well.
First, the hotel. The remodel was very nice. It wasn't drastic, but cleaned up the lobby area quite a bit. However, as big as the lobby is, there isn't enough seating. This is the prime public area of the hotel, and if you don't want to sit in your room the only other alternatives are the business center or the pool deck. There is more than enough room to put a few seating areas out of the traffic flow.
I appreciate the Nespresso machine too. It makes a fine cup of coffee. But I need to get out of my room. There were no to-go cups to take the coffee away.
Second, is the restaurant. This is their prime food-service focus and the buffet has received accolades. But it should considering that breakfast is 28SGD. That is quite a bit of money and although convenient, and even comparable, I think it is too expensive. Breakfast used to come with your room, and that was great. Being able to get a cup of coffee or two and have a quick mouth-full of something before starting your day was great. No so great for 28SGD. And this is for food that isn't even hot! And tepid coffee as well. We complained food and were promptly issued a credit, but I would have preferred even just warm food. They leave the covers up on unheated chafing dishes and even food that is fresh-from-the-kitchen was room-temp.
We used our credit for a dinner buffet, which was quite an upgrade considering it was a 78SGD meal. However, being Ramadan, there was no alcohol served. And as much as I am for religious freedom, we were treated to a distorted and scratchy recording of what I think were Muslim prayers and lecturing that lasted for the better part of our meal. Patrons who were obviously Muslim were even ignoring it.That is going too far.
The food was wonderful. Every bite of anything I tasted was expertly made. But there was no way someone could eat enough to make 78SGD any sort of bargain, or even think it was other than a very, very expensive meal.
Again, I realize this is a hotel restaurant and the Hyatt, just across the street may have been even more expensive.
Given the alternatives in the price range and the absence of breakfast inclusion I think I will try somewhere else on my next trip.

Room Tip: The option for a "Club Level" room for an additional 90SGD is not price-effective. Save yo...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank pikeman666
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

Whilst this hotel has been around for a while, it still feels modern and up to date.

The entrance foyer is amazing! Grand and luxurious! The door staff are also extremely helpful and welcoming and it feels extremely personalised. Even when you come back after a long day out, the door staff ask how your day was or say hello.

We arrived before our rooms were ready and were given a little priority card. This was so when we returned when our rooms would be ready, we could immediately get assistance rather than wait in line. That is a nice touch.

The rooms are good. The free mini bar is genius. I have only stayed in one other hotel in the UK that did this. It is a minor thing but welcomed. It would be good though if the mini bar fridge had a temperature control as it didn't get very cold. Free wifi as well is great. One suggestion would be an ice machine on every floor or every 2nd floor. It is a pain to have to ring up room service when it would be quicker and easier to go get it yourself.

The bed is comfortable and so is the room. The room does feel a little worn out in some areas but nothing major. Whilst they are not the biggest around (we stayed in a deluxe room and glad for it), for stays under 7 days it is comfortable.

The location is very good. Having been a long time since I have been in Singapore, the very old Orchard station entrance was easier to get to, but it seems Singapore is in the midst of adding more underground connections in this area to make it easier to get around and faster.

Not far from the hotel and on the way to the Orchard Rd Station there is a great supermarket - Isetan. This is at the basement of their dept store but is a great supermarket, chemist and bakery to get anything you need. They have some great Japanese sushi meals as well on offer for those times you can't be bothered going too far to eat. Next door to the supermarket there is also a small food court worth visiting.

From there if you go through Orchard Station you get to the Ion and Wheelock shopping centres. Decent shopping centres and probably the cheapest around the area (apart from Lucky Plaza and Far East Plaza - which are more market style centres). There are a lot of options for food - plenty of little restaurants all over the centre and a very large food court with some great options. This entire underground network links as well up to Tangs and other stores so you can easily get around most of the main places at the Orchard Rd and Scotts Rd area from here.

The pool and Gym area for Royal Plaza is nothing out of this world, but is fine. I would highly recommend staying at this hotel. Their rates are extremely reasonable considering their level of service and location.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as high as possible. It is also a complete non-smoking hotel which is great!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Peter S
Dear Peter S,

Thank you for leaving us such a warm and detailed review!

It certainly brings a smile to my face to read such positive feedback. As our façade renovation is now complete, we hope that it has been worth the wait. How pleasant to hear first-hand from a guest that our entrance foyer is grand and luxurious. We hope it enhanced your overall experience during your stay.

Each of our guests is important to us, and our colleagues are happy to converse with our guests. After all, I am sure we both agree that a smile goes a long way. I am glad that you also found your room satisfactory. I have taken note on your feedback regarding the minibar’s temperature and will inform my Engineering team of this. Thank you very much for bringing it to our attention and for your suggestions as well.

I am glad that you found our rooms and bed comfortable. Perhaps we could recommend our Royal Club Premiere rooms for longer stays in the future or on your next visit? It also entails access to our exclusive Royal Club lounge. Our Royal Club team would also love to have the chance to take care of you.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our opportune location – indeed quite a bit has changed over the years – we hope it has made your stay more convenient in terms of getting around and that you enjoyed shopping in the vicinity.

Thank you for sharing about our neighbouring shopping malls in your review – we hope you enjoyed staying in Singapore! We appreciate your vote of recommendation and are already looking forward to your next visit.

Kind Regards,
Jakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

This was my first time stayed at this hotel. Immediately when reaching the hotel, I was welcomed by friendly team, starting from the gentleman at the door right through the receptionist. My room was upgraded, which was a pleasant surprise. The room was clean and comfortable. Good location as well. Would definitely consider staying in this hotel again on my next trip to Spore.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
      Location
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Nungke,

Thank you for your kind feedback.

Welcome to our hotel! We hope you enjoyed your first stay and that this will be the very first of many. I am delighted to hear that you found our staff friendly and that you enjoyed our room. We would love to have you with us again at Royal Plaza.

Kind regards,