“Great Hotel”

Ranked #46 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
perth
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed 10 June 2007

Stayed at this hotel for 5 nights, check in fast and efficient even at 3.30 am. We went to Singapore to shop during the Great Singapore sales. Hotel is walking distance to all the major shopping centres in Orchard Rd. Concierge was extremely helpful when we needed them. Free internet was a huge bonus, you need to ask for an adaptor for Aus laptops.

Did not eat in the hotel as buffet meals quite expensive. SO many cheap eating choices within walking distance. Would definitely stay here again for the location and value for money.

• Liked — Location and service
  • Disliked — Small rooms
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (800)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Hong Kong
Reviewed 30 May 2007

My family ( 2 kids - 3 & 4 yrs old) and I spent a long weekend in Singapore staying at the Royal Plaza on Scotts and we were very pleased with the whole experience. Check-in was quick, rooms were lovely; it has just been renovated and felt very modern and clean. The rooms are not huge - but hopefully you are not spending your days indoors whilst in Singapore as there is so much to see and do there!
The pool is great - perhaps not entirely child-friendly but lovely none-the-less.
Best of all was the price - it was about half the price of most hotels in the area and it is in such a good location - moments to all the shops and restaurants on Orchard Road.
There is also a complimentary mini-bar - includes some standard drinks - which is a very nice touch!!
Only thing I would have liked is to have had a clock in the room - but apart from that - totally perfect hotel for a weekend away if you dont want to spend a fortune!!

• Liked — Value for money
  • Disliked — No clocks in the rooms!!
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank expatchick
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 28 May 2007

Hi

There have been some great reviews about the renovated Royal Plaza on Scotts. I asked my TA to book me there. She got a rate of AUD 640 for 3 nights with a late check out. BTW RPS charges by the hour for late check outs.

I joined IPrefer beforehand as it is their loyalty plan and the website says members receive an upgrade if possible. I was planning on staying again in October.

I arrived at 11.00pm and initially they told me that I had to pay for the late check. I showed them the booking details. Then I asked them for the upgrade for IPrefer. That was definitely not forthcoming but they gave me a S$20 voucher for lunch or dinner. You need to ask. However, the restaurant will be closed on Monday as it was their Grand Opening.

When I arrived in the room, it was tiny!!. Nothing like the pictures in reviews.

By this time it was midnight. I immediately got wireless connection which was great. I then curled up in bed to read my book. Turned the overhead ceiling bed light on and all the lights in room, including the spotlight opposite the bed over the mirror. There are no bedside lamps. There was no way to read without feeling like you were in an interrogation room. Called front desk. They told me to move to other side of the bed and turn that light on. It is impossible to turn that light on unless the master on the other side is on which turns every light in the room on again.
If you had a partner sleeping with you, he/she could not turn the light on to go to the bathroom. He would have to wake you to get you to turn the master on.

The hotel engineer came up and checked it. He said that was how all the rooms in the hotel were wired. Duty manager phoned and apologised. Agreed this was a OHS issue.

Turned lights off - the noise from trucks below and service kept me awake.

Complained the next morning and they moved me up a couple of floors to a regular room. Realised that the initial room abutted the service lift and was two/thirds size of reg. room. Therefore the wardrobe was at the back of the bathroom and pushed the bed right down to the window.

Still have lighting problem. Hotel provided me with a bed lamp which was perfect, but the wiring for the rooms need to be reconfigured.

When I checked in they offered me breakfast at S$20 per day (net net) if bought upfront, otherwise it would be S$37.00. I bought the 3 breakfasts which were OK. However, the restaurant is Halal and the last morning I brought my tube of vegemite (Vegetarian yeast extract) and a waiter told me I couldn't eat it as it was Halal. Next time I will eat outside.

I had a lot of appointments on the Monday and went across the street for dinner at the Far East Plaza. After doing a bit of shopping I was buggered. Arrived back at the hotel at 7.00pm to be told I couldn't enter as it was the Grand Opening. (Hotel) Guests arrived from the airport, joggers were waiting, A family had a baby who needed to be fed and changed, I needed to call my daughter before she went to bed in Australia. We all had to wait for half an hour while the festivities went on. Finally, the jogger rebelled and they were forced to let us into the hotel so we could get to our rooms. I think it would have been nice to have in someway included the hotel guests in the opening.

On the positive side, the minibar is nice, staff tried to resolve issues and the beds are nice. Just insist you are not give Rm 516 or equivalent. I don't think you should get the worst room in the house because you are checking at a late time.

I was always able to get a taxi.

I ate in the restaurant on the Tuesday night and the food/buffet was very good.

• Stayed May 2007, travelled on business
7 Thank JulesAnne
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 21 May 2007

I stayed at Royal Plaza on Scotts last May 2007 and got really a good deal on [--](thanks for your advice, guys!) for it. This hotel is considered between 4 to 5 star and the price of SG$210 for one night for a deluxe room was well worth it. It included complementary buffet breakfast for two, complementary minibar (minibar was a bit of a disappointment as it just included some basic drinks) and free broadband or wi-fi. The hotel was recently renovated (wasn't sure if my room was renovated but it certainly looked new). Service was excellent. I had requested for early check-in thru asiabesthotel but the website couldn't confirm. I arrived around 11am and they gave me a room right away without my even asking. Then when I got to my room, the wi-fi/broadband wasn't working so I had to call for help. Their IT guy game up right away and configured my laptop. On the day when we were checking out, we requested for late check-out and they allowed us to stay till 2pm (should have been 12pm). All in all, the hotel has the usual modern facilities (32" plasma tv, rain-head shower -- you tweak it up when you want to use the rainhead and you move it down when you want to use the regular showerhead) but the most important thing going for the hotel is its service. The staff's accommodation of little requests like early/late check-in, changing of some drinks in mini-bar from beer to cola, etc. sure made me feel at home and important. The only disadvantage I can see is that for those who are into heavy shopping, a little walking is required. I usually used the underpass to get from Scotts to Orchard where most of the big stores are (e.g. Takashimaya). One big plus is that I wanted to join the night safari and since I was alone, it would have been too expensive for me to take a cab to go there. Saw on the web [--] that there was a bus that picks up passengers right beside the hotel (at DFS Galleria) for only SG$4.00 per way so that was a big help. Would enjoy staying here again especially if the price is reasonable.

Stayed May 2007
4 Thank Pepperoo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 19 May 2007

Room type: Delux room.
Room rate at the time: USD152 nett include buffet breakfast.
Booked through: [--] (they might not have this rate anymore, or maybe slightly more).

We had a four-night stay at Royal Plaza on Scott. Excellent services - including housekeeping, concierge, business center, gym and not forgetting the breakfast included in our hotel room rate. Great location for shopping (most shopping centers close at 9pm or so), the closest MRT station is Orchard Station. Handy to get to around. You can find lovely food everywhere and around the clock.

You might wish to have a double bed rather than twin beds to give yourselves more room. The room size is 32m2 so it is a bit small to accommodate 2 twin beds. Room comes with trendy LCD TV and most of all they have the largest shower head I've ever seen! Check it out yourselves.

Claudia Lim.

• Stayed May 2007, travelled with family
4 Thank Redglue
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 16 May 2007

While I was in Singapore for only 1 night on a quick business trip, I was pleasently delighted by the hotel the company chose!

I checked in quite late in the evening, and checked out very early in the morning, but the night shift staff were excellent and had smiles all round. I was pleasently surprised by some hamburger shaped macaroons in the room waiting for me, and the complimentary mini bar. However, there were only 2 beers, 2 bottles of water and some orange juice in there!

Trendy room with velvet couch, big LCD TV, rain water shower (great fun for someone who lives on water restrictions), comfortable beds, and spotlessly clean - very happy with the room.

I was in an executive room so had complimentary breakfast in the lounge upstairs which was very difficult to find - no signs on the top floor to point to the room. Great breakfast - better than the average hotel breakfast buffet.

Non smoking was a plus too!

I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed March 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank cosmicsultana
Quickborn, Germany
Reviewed 13 May 2007

The Royal Plaza on Scotts (Road) stands in a series of hotel close to the Orchard Road. The five star hotel offers weekend specials including breakfast. Coming to a five star hotel, our expectations where high and could only partly fulfilled. Where the room where only a good four star standard, the breakfast and serve where fantastic.

• Liked — The location, the good breakfast
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple