“Looks deceive”

Ranked #46 of 308 Hotels in Singapore
Uk
“Looks deceive”
Reviewed 16 June 2007

Stayed here 4th June 2007 for a few days. Hotel excellent, service is first class. Situation - in the thick of things, ideal for everything from shopping to subway. Hot and humid but enjoyable.

• Liked — Location & service
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank varaderoman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (791)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 15 June 2007

We've just returned from a five day stay at the Royal Plaza on Scotts. The hotel is located on Scott just off Orchard so it's very close to many conveniences like shopping, food, The Coffee Bean and Tealeaf/Starbuck's location war, and the MRT. Check in was quick and the curb staff was very attentive.
Our first impression of our room was that it was tiny so we were disappointed at that. It contained a king bed, a desk with a chair, a sitting chair, a bathroom with a shower, and a walk in closet with mini bar. The mini bar consisted of coffee/tea service and beverages (sodas and bottled water) which was replenished daily. The staff was happy to accomodate us with just water since we don't drink sodas (we left a note with the sodas and they were changed out the next day). The room had a mounted wide screen tv opposite the bed and the usual nice hotel things like iron/board, hairdryer, bathrobes/slippers, daily newspaper, laundry service, daily maid/turndown service.
The room was comfortable despite it's size and it was very clean. The nice details were the bed (which had a down comforter, mattress pad, and pillows) and the shower (which was roomy with a handheld and a big rainfall showerhead). It was nice to have the walk in to stow away our luggage and the car seat and the front hall was large enough to keep our stroller handy.
One of the disadvantages was that there wasn't a table other than the desk. We have a toddler so when we needed to eat in there was no place to really feed her. And the obvious with a small room was that there was no place for her to roam aside from the closet. Also, when you used the faucet in the bathroom, the drain was really loud and there was a mere 1/2 " clearance from the toilet and the bathroom door when it was opened so there's some maneuvering to be done to open/close the door depending on where you are in the room.
The hotel has a couple of restaurants but we chose to eat outside of the hotel for a couple of reasons. The prices were high and there were better options for us nearby (we are vegetarian). There is also a pool and gym that we never got around to seeing or using.
Overall our stay was pleasant. The staff couldn't be more attentive and the location was excellent. Although our room wasn't the best choice for our family, I imagine it would be great for a single person on business. We got a fair deal online so it made the whole experience fine.
Some pointers:
*the key card is needed to use the elevators.
*the key card is needed to keep everything on in the room: There is a holder by the door that powers the lights and tv.
*check out the shower knob before you turn it on. There is a midline for off and turning one way gives you the handheld and turning the opposite gives you the showerhead. You can't really feel when you've hit the midline and a few times, while trying to rinse off my child's feet, we walked out of the bathroom with our clothes soaking wet.
*there is a charge for local calls (although not much)
*internet is free
*the building is non smoking

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Small room
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
9 Thank mollygolightly7
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 11 June 2007

We stayed at the Royal Plaza On Scotts in May 2007.

We booked a room for 2 adults and 2 kids under 10 years of age through our travel agent.

The rooms were fantastic but they definitey were not suitable for 2 adults and 2 kids which was not the fault of the hotel as they advised us that the wholesaler should not have sold the room for 4 occupants. No views from the rooms but it was nice and quiet which was important for us.

The hotel upgraded us to a larger corner room at no charge and were very friendly and professional.

The check-in was quick and the concierge was fantastic. They were always waiting out the front of the beautiful lobby ready to get you a taxi or to greet you on your return.

Rooms were very modern with small but very nice bathrooms.

Free daily bar fridge and the breakfast was the best I have ever had anywhere. Abosultely everything available.

Excellent location right around the corner from Orchard Road and right near the MRT train station.

I really cant rave about the staff more. The hotel has been recently renovated and is spectacular at night with the lobby lit with hundreds of candles.

Look at their website for photos.

• Liked — Location, service.
  • Disliked — Not suitable for families
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with family
6 Thank zedmeister
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 10 June 2007

The hotel is in a prime location, right in the major business and shopping areas. The room is spacious with a huge working desk and a free mini bar. The bathroom is large with a big shower booth (no bathtub though). The service is good and the buffet breakfast is excellent, really a lot of choices and 1/3 of the dishes changes every day! But the hotel lacks good leisure amenities, the pool is tiny and the view sucks. After all, it is a top business hotel, not a resort hotel.

• Liked — Business facilities
  • Disliked — pool
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled on business
3 Thank JKWD
perth
Reviewed 10 June 2007

Stayed at this hotel for 5 nights, check in fast and efficient even at 3.30 am. We went to Singapore to shop during the Great Singapore sales. Hotel is walking distance to all the major shopping centres in Orchard Rd. Concierge was extremely helpful when we needed them. Free internet was a huge bonus, you need to ask for an adaptor for Aus laptops.

Did not eat in the hotel as buffet meals quite expensive. SO many cheap eating choices within walking distance. Would definitely stay here again for the location and value for money.

• Liked — Location and service
  • Disliked — Small rooms
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
Hong Kong
Reviewed 30 May 2007

My family ( 2 kids - 3 & 4 yrs old) and I spent a long weekend in Singapore staying at the Royal Plaza on Scotts and we were very pleased with the whole experience. Check-in was quick, rooms were lovely; it has just been renovated and felt very modern and clean. The rooms are not huge - but hopefully you are not spending your days indoors whilst in Singapore as there is so much to see and do there!
The pool is great - perhaps not entirely child-friendly but lovely none-the-less.
Best of all was the price - it was about half the price of most hotels in the area and it is in such a good location - moments to all the shops and restaurants on Orchard Road.
There is also a complimentary mini-bar - includes some standard drinks - which is a very nice touch!!
Only thing I would have liked is to have had a clock in the room - but apart from that - totally perfect hotel for a weekend away if you dont want to spend a fortune!!

• Liked — Value for money
  • Disliked — No clocks in the rooms!!
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank expatchick
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 28 May 2007

Hi

There have been some great reviews about the renovated Royal Plaza on Scotts. I asked my TA to book me there. She got a rate of AUD 640 for 3 nights with a late check out. BTW RPS charges by the hour for late check outs.

I joined IPrefer beforehand as it is their loyalty plan and the website says members receive an upgrade if possible. I was planning on staying again in October.

I arrived at 11.00pm and initially they told me that I had to pay for the late check. I showed them the booking details. Then I asked them for the upgrade for IPrefer. That was definitely not forthcoming but they gave me a S$20 voucher for lunch or dinner. You need to ask. However, the restaurant will be closed on Monday as it was their Grand Opening.

When I arrived in the room, it was tiny!!. Nothing like the pictures in reviews.

By this time it was midnight. I immediately got wireless connection which was great. I then curled up in bed to read my book. Turned the overhead ceiling bed light on and all the lights in room, including the spotlight opposite the bed over the mirror. There are no bedside lamps. There was no way to read without feeling like you were in an interrogation room. Called front desk. They told me to move to other side of the bed and turn that light on. It is impossible to turn that light on unless the master on the other side is on which turns every light in the room on again.
If you had a partner sleeping with you, he/she could not turn the light on to go to the bathroom. He would have to wake you to get you to turn the master on.

The hotel engineer came up and checked it. He said that was how all the rooms in the hotel were wired. Duty manager phoned and apologised. Agreed this was a OHS issue.

Turned lights off - the noise from trucks below and service kept me awake.

Complained the next morning and they moved me up a couple of floors to a regular room. Realised that the initial room abutted the service lift and was two/thirds size of reg. room. Therefore the wardrobe was at the back of the bathroom and pushed the bed right down to the window.

Still have lighting problem. Hotel provided me with a bed lamp which was perfect, but the wiring for the rooms need to be reconfigured.

When I checked in they offered me breakfast at S$20 per day (net net) if bought upfront, otherwise it would be S$37.00. I bought the 3 breakfasts which were OK. However, the restaurant is Halal and the last morning I brought my tube of vegemite (Vegetarian yeast extract) and a waiter told me I couldn't eat it as it was Halal. Next time I will eat outside.

I had a lot of appointments on the Monday and went across the street for dinner at the Far East Plaza. After doing a bit of shopping I was buggered. Arrived back at the hotel at 7.00pm to be told I couldn't enter as it was the Grand Opening. (Hotel) Guests arrived from the airport, joggers were waiting, A family had a baby who needed to be fed and changed, I needed to call my daughter before she went to bed in Australia. We all had to wait for half an hour while the festivities went on. Finally, the jogger rebelled and they were forced to let us into the hotel so we could get to our rooms. I think it would have been nice to have in someway included the hotel guests in the opening.

On the positive side, the minibar is nice, staff tried to resolve issues and the beds are nice. Just insist you are not give Rm 516 or equivalent. I don't think you should get the worst room in the house because you are checking at a late time.

I was always able to get a taxi.

I ate in the restaurant on the Tuesday night and the food/buffet was very good.

• Stayed May 2007, travelled on business