“Good Stay but heavy cigrette smoke issue in room”

Village Hotel Bugis by Far East Hospitality
Ranked #86 of 308 Hotels in Singapore
Mumbai
“Good Stay but heavy cigrette smoke issue in room”
Reviewed 8 March 2014

we had stayed for few days. We had booked for NON SMOKING room. But the offered room had heavy smoking issue which was allergic for us. The floor lobby was also had same issue .Then we had escalated the issue with Manager . After that they have given nice room. Finally the stay was good after changing the room.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with StayFarEast.com

Yan Leng K, General Manager at Village Hotel Bugis by Far East Hospitality, responded to this review, 9 March 2014
Dear Antony T,

Thank you for taking your valuable time to write this review to compliment Village Hotel Bugis and our staff. We are glad to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

While we prohibit guests from smoking on non-smoking floors, we sometimes still found guests smoking in such rooms. By the time we discover, there would already be smoke smell in their rooms and the corridor. This is unfortunate and we will always be alert to such situation. We sincerely apologised for the inconveniences caused.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Yan Leng

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (515)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Glenrothes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Forced to transfer to this hotel from sister hotel previously booked, but what a gem. Great hotel in a terrific location and wonderful staff who couldn't be more helpful and who went, unsolicited, above and beyond their call of duty when we had some difficulties with our privately arranged early morning airport transfer. Personal thanks to the gentleman (whose name I didn't pick up) on overnight reception duties on the night of Sunday 2 March for his attention and assistance re that transfer.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear William H,

While transferring our guests from one hotel to another of our sister hotel is not what we wish to do, we will always ensure this is done with great customer service to take care of your needs.

Lae, PNG
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Much much better than I thought it would be. The lobby is boutique and the room was very well appointed. We stayed for 3 nights in February and enjoyed every night. Staff were super friendly and always helpful. The Club room was well worth the extra money and the breakfast in the Club Lounge was excellent. An easy walk to Bugis Junction shopping and Sim Lim Square for electronics.. Plenty to do and see around the area. Could not hear the prayer call from the mosque next door unless you were outside which was good. Well worth the effort to book this hotel. We will definatley stay there again in the future without a doubt.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tincoll
Dear tincoll,

Our Club and Deluxe Rooms were renovated last year and they have received a lot of great reviews. We are glad you like our new design too.

Our location is well liked by many of our guests and reason why many frequent guests stay with us. Village Hotels is about the buzz and interesting things to see and do in our precinct. Our guests are spoilt for choice in terms of attractions, food and shopping. Other than this, our location is convenient for transport in getting to anywhere in Singapore as you have correctly pointed out.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Firstly the location of the hotel is very strategic and very convenient to Singapore's major events. Its also a walking distance to new Singapore Stadium and shopping areas. Having said that the staff are well trained and very courteous and always very accommodating.
Lastly but not the least I'm truly impress with the menu of the hotel which is for vegetarian and no veggie.
Great hospitality. I will come back to stay!

Room Tip: I think room facing the south seems to be my favorite
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Yan Leng K, General Manager at Village Hotel Bugis by Far East Hospitality, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Dear Sukhdev Singh D,

Hospitality is one of our hallmark at Village Hotels. Our staff are trained and inculcated with the personalised service culture to ensure all our guests are well looked after. This is to ensure we treat each customer as an individual to satisfy their needs.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I had written the review below while I was staying at Village Hotel. On checking out the following day, reception staff offered an unprompted apology for the issues raised, waived my late check-out charges (which I had already agreed to pay), and provided complimentary lounge access given my late night flight. This was a completely unexpected and definitely redeemed hotel staff in my eyes. Although disappointing that it took a TripAdvisor review to do it, I am encouraged that management does actually seem to be serious about customer satisfaction.

----
I am currently staying at this hotel while stopping over in Singapore for one night. My first impression was very positive--good location; extremely professional staff; and clean, comfortable, and spacious room. On entering the bathroom, however, I found that the toilet was covered in dust balls, hair, and an unidentified colorless liquid (hopefully water). I called the "24-hour Customer Service Hotline" (as per a little card by the phone) to advise that I had taken care of the problem on this occasion but that I wanted to let them know so that it does not recur in future. The gentleman who answered was pleasant enough and offered to send someone to my room to rectify situation (I politely declined this given I had already done so) but sounded unperturbed and offered no (token) apology.

I then left for a late dinner, and on returning at ~9:30PM, I was dismayed to hear disco music so loud that:
* I could make out every single word;
* It could be recorded on my mobile phone, replayed, and heard clearly; and
* The glass in the window was vibrating.
The cause was a birthday function by the pool on level 5, 11 floors below my room on level 16. I played the recording on my phone for a gentleman at reception and asked if there was anything that he could do. His reaction suggested either he did not care (in which case he should not be working in customer service) or that he had received this complaint so many times he was 'over it' (in which case he really should have already done something about it). His excuse was that the function would end at 10:00PM. I explained that if the music was that loud for me on level 16, the people on level 5 must be going deaf and that, regardless of the time and other people’s right to enjoy themselves, that level of volume was both unreasonable and unacceptable. He agreed to ask those in charge of the function to lower the volume. When I returned to my room, I received a phone call from another reception staff member who repeated that the function would end at 10:00PM. I repeated my explanation, and he repeated the offer to ask that the volume be lowered. As I sit writing this review at 10:29PM, the volume has only just dropped such that I can barely hear the continuing music. For the entire almost-hour-long period between my trip to reception and 10:29PM, there was no discernible reduction in volume, with the music occasionally actually getting louder.

Hotel management must understand that it caters to many guests and therefore needs to respect ALL paying guests (including those who might have arrived after a long day of travel and would like an early night and/or have an early start the next morning), not just those who wish to damage their hearing while creating a nuisance. It is a pity that an otherwise good hotel is so misguided about the level of noise disturbance it allows on its premises.

I hope that I will be able to sleep now that music sounds like it is fading out and that the reminder of my stay will be uneventful. Regardless, I am unlikely to return to this hotel given I cannot be confident of getting what I pay for (i.e., a reasonable place to sleep).

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Dear Filiae L,

We sincerely apologised for the inconveniences caused by the official opening of our poolside restaurant, The Landmark. We will ensure such incidents will not create disruptions to our guests in future.

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Really really love to stay here, why ?
- location, very close to the underground station " Bugis ". It's a direct line to the airport as well.
Near by the station is Bugis junction (the time I were there, it was a huge discount event :) - wow!!! and the other malls around there.
- Room, I think it were renovate coz it's such a nice decoration, I really feel comfortable, big bed. It had all I need.
- Greating, really impressed since step in to check -in/ out. Welcome fruit..love it

Thanks team. I will be back sure:)

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear Nongyao_Jaroenchai,

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 3 March 2014

This is a pretty average budget hotel. It is a decent place to sleep and shower in, and there is nothing much more to it.

The pros:

- It is in a rather good location. If the weather is good, it is possible to do a 20-30 minute walk to the city. Getting around by public transport is pretty easy as well, as there is an MRT station just a few minutes away.
- Service is alright. Most of the service staff will assist when requests are made. Do not expect extras though.
- The deluxe room that we stayed in appeared to be recently renovated. It was considerably clean.
- Spacious room, by Singapore and/or budget hotel standards.

The cons:

- It does feel very much like a no-frills budget hotel. Even though the room looked like it was recently renovated, it felt like the refurbishment was undertaken on a tight budget. Workmanship was poor, and things were beginning to fall apart.
- The rest of the hotel has probably not been renovated yet. Expect some things not to work well.
- Spotty wi-fi.
- There is no in-room dining.
- Very limited channels on TV.
- Thin walls with poor sound insulation.
- The hotel feels like it is very much designed to cater to tourists from India. There was a restaurant which serves Indian food for breakfast. Many of the service staff also looked and sounded like they were from India. Probably as a result, there were many Indian tourists when we were there. Expect the usual bad behaviour displayed by Indian tourists wherever they go in the world, for example, arrogance, shoving and jostling at lift lobbies and restaurants etc, screaming and shouting by kids and adults alike, unhygienic handling (literally HANDling) of food at the breakfast buffet lines, using the swimming pool as a footbath, demanding VIP/preferential treatment over other guests etc.

In general, it is reasonably well-located, and serves its purpose adequately as a no-frills place to sleep and shower in. Therefore, for tourists on a budget but would still like accommodations that come with en-suite bathrooms, it is worth considering. However, for people who are looking for something more, or who are unable to tolerate bad behaviour from other guests, you may wish to go somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Mel_Sg,

Thank you for taking your valuable time to provide us with valuable feedback.

We are glad that you have fond our location and service great as this also mirrors that of many of our frequent guests. While our location is great, we complement it with our positive service culture. A good hotel is nothing without a good service.

With regards to your feedback on our renovated room, we have renovated our Club and Deluxe Rooms about 1 year ago. We have received numerous positive feedback, but also acknowledged that not all our guests will like it. We take your feedback into consideration and will make improvements in our subsequent renovation.