“A basic hotel”

Ranked #82 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Melbourne, Australia
“A basic hotel”
Reviewed 31 December 2013

The Elizabeth Hotel, just off from the main shopping drag of Orchard Road, will appeal to business travellers just wanting a room for the night or travellers on a budget. Having said that the bed and pillows were the most comfortable I have experienced when travelling. Staff and housekeeping were courteous. Our Deluxe Room was adequate but small given we had a roll away bed as well. Bathrooms are small but adequate. There was a smell in the room - perhaps it was a smoking room at one stage. We had to keep the air conditioning on just to get rid of it. Our mini-bar fridge wasn't working and we found out too late to save the food we placed in there. Stains on curtains and carpets. Breakfast was a huge disappointment. I felt queasy each time I had breakfast at the hotel but other members of the family were ok. We ended up having breakfast in cafes in the nearby Paragon Shopping Complex. Swimming pool area was lovely. It is about a 5-10 minute walk to Orchard Road and a little longer to MRT which is no big deal. There are two guest computers in the lobby. This was useful except when they were abused by people who would rather check their Facebook for hours at a time rather than seeing the sights.
Overall the hotel was adequate. One of the reasons we chose this hotel was for the fitness centre. The centre described on the confirmation email sounded just what we needed. We arrived to find that the hotel not only doesn't have a fitness centre but never had one! If you're looking for something special in Singapore this isn't the place for you. If you're just looking for somewhere to sleep then its perfect.

Room Tip: Go for Deluxe or above
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Mohd Faharudin M, Manager at The Elizabeth Hotel by Far East Hospitality, responded to this review, 1 January 2014
Dear Wombatstew

Thank you for sharing your positive sleep experience with us as the bed and pillows were the most comfortable you have experienced when traveling. The pool area is lovely which adds to your stay experience.

We have addressed with the Housekeeping team on the improvements needed with the room curtains and carpets.

As to the fitness centre, we will definitely review this in our next renovation exercise.

Wishing you and your family the best for the New Year.

Regards

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Kuching, Malaysia
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Stayed in one of the premier rooms during trip to Singapore. The room deco looks quite classy actually. The bathroom was clean and attractive. The beds and pillows were comfortable as well. Breakfast buffet was good but could do with more variety.

The hotel is very strategically located. Orchard road and the MRT is just a 10 minute walk away, but it involves walking up a hill to the hotel. There are many restaurants nearby where you can find food to eat.

Think the hotel is reasonably priced compared to the other hotels in the vicinity. Would stay here again due to its proximity to Orchard road.

Room Tip: Stay in the superior rooms, which have been recently renovated.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DavNG
Dear DavidNgCE

We are glad to know that you have enjoyed your stay in the Premier Room which is our newly renovated room and thank your for making us the choice hotel during your recent visit to Singapore.

The hotel pride itself for its great location and being reasonably priced given its vicinity to Orchard Road - Singapore's prime shopping district.

All of us at The Elizabeth Hotel look forward to welcome you back soon.

Warm Regards

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Bad housekeeping, towels are not changed everydays.
Bedsheets also not changed everyday.
Themos is very dirty
Breakfasts not many choices.
Bad experience.
Not value for money n will not stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with StayFarEast.com

Dear Esther L

Please accept my apologies for the lapse in service which resulted in not a positive stay experience.

We have addressed this with the Housekeeper and the staff concerned have been counseled.

The team at The Elizabeth Hotel value your patronage and while we failed to meet you expectation this time, we hope that you will grant us an opportunity to restore your confidence in our service.

Please do note hesitate to contact me at faharudin@fareast.com.sg should you decide to visit us again and I will be more than happy to upgrade you to our newly renovated Premier rooms.

Warmest Regards

Osaka, Japan
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Honestly, it was awful. First off, they charged me an extra $80 after I left the hotel for god knows what. They didn't charge me as I was checking out, they charged me the day after I left. I didn't take anything from their fridges or bars, and I paid for my phone bill up front and all room service up front. The room walls were cracked. The hallway smelled. It took me 3 days out of my 4 day stay to get someone to give me a power adapter after each time they said they would send it up, and all they gave was a plug converter. (I.e. Sing is 240watt. America is 120. You can't just use a plug converter or you'll blow up your stuff.)
Honestly, I would never stay here again and I don't want to even call them and find out what I was charged for because of how little I want to have contact with that hotel again.
reconsider spending a few more dollars to go to a hotel down the street.

Room Tip: Don't have a room facing outside the front of the hotel, it was noisy.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jinxbrand
Mohd Faharudin M, Manager at The Elizabeth Hotel by Far East Hospitality, responded to this review, 5 January 2014
Dear Jinxbrand

Please accept my sincerest apologies for the lapse in service . We have reviewed your comments with the Operations team in particular the Front Office and Housekeeping. The housekeeping team have been briefed with regards to the difference between the standard power adaptor and a step down power adaptor.

As to the late charge by the Front Office team, would appreciate if you could contact me at faharudin@fareast.com.sg and allow me to personally resolve this matter.

While we regret that we failed to meet your expectation, I would very much hope to receive a response and allow me to assist in rectifying your concern.

Thank you and look forward to your reply

Have a pleasant week

Best Regards

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 30 December 2013

For the past 3-4 months, the Elizabeth Hotel has been somewhat a "second home" for me, having resided here frequently for work trips, thus giving me the opportunity to experience many different rooms at different times of the year.

Rooms:

The older rooms (11th & 12th floor, I believe) certainly show their age and are in need of improvement. Stained carpets, damaged walls, dim lighting and a tired-looking washroom all contribute in revealing the age of the rooms. Additionally, the water pressure of the shower is too low for comfort. That being said, I do feel that the design of the room is underrated, as it felt more homely and well spaced as compared to the newer rooms.

The premier rooms, on the other hand, are substantially brighter and in better condition (as expected). In terms of cleanliness, the room was top notch. However, there were a few issues which I consistently faced in most of the different premier rooms I stayed in, as follows:

1. While the pillows and linen were of good quality and comfort, some of the pillows had a strong, lingering smell, likened to Chinese medicated oil. Not sure whether it is the cleaning agent used, but it would be good if the hotel could keep an eye on that.

2. For some unknown reason, ALL the rooms were exceptionally cold. Each and every single visit, I chose to switch off the air conditioner because it was far too cold. And even then the room remained chilly. I thought it could have been just me, but this issue has been confirmed by my colleagues as well. Perhaps it is caused by the central air-con system, so would appreciate if the hotel could look into that.

3. The shower faucet in the washrooms are not very sensitive to temperature changes. For example, if the water was too hot and you turned the faucet to the cooler end, it somehow takes quite a long while for the temperature of the water to change.

4. In a few rooms, the cupboard doors did not shut neatly, thus causing the inner lamp to remain switched on. I had to improvise just to get the doors to press on the internal switch which keeps the light off, but sometimes it did not work. While it is not a big problem, I believe some guests prefer sleeping with all the lights switched off, thus this may be an issue.

Location:

In my humble opinion, it was very good. Elizabeth is very accessible to the MRT (about 10-15 minutes walk), and is close to Orchard Road. Lots of food choices and malls for your pleasure. However, it does involve walking up and down a hill, which may prove difficult for the more senior, elderly folks (no disrespect). But if it rains, it would definitely be a problem getting around.

Restaurant:

Unfortunately, the breakfast provided left much to be desired. The overall quality of the food and ingredients were average at best, and the spread rarely changes everyday. I was slightly disappointed at the quality of the food as I had high expectations of Modesto's, although I am not entirely sure if Modesto's themselves prepare the breakfast.

Staff:

Again, mixed emotions. There was a stark contrast between the front desk and concierge staff (exceptional) as compared to the restaurant staff at the breakfast venue (somewhat disappointing). I will not mention names, but there were some waiters who were not so accommodating, unfortunately. I would like to especially commend a front desk staff named Ms. Grace Ho who was exceptional in service and smile.

Conclusion:

While my review may slant toward the negative, I had some memorable experiences with the Elizabeth Hotel and still view it as a decent hotel. However, there definitely remains much room for improvement, and I offer my opinions as constructive criticism. You may be able to find another place with a better rate, but if the Elizabeth meets your budget, its an acceptable choice. I give it a 6.5/10.

Room Tip: If the choice is yours, go for the Premier rooms.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank TL7
Dear TL7

Thank you for taking the time to share you stay experience with us and highlighting areas for improvements. We value your comments and rest assured that the Operations team are taking corrective measures pertaining to your reviews.

The hotel will be embarking on a progressive renovation exercise this year to update and refresh not only our guest room corridors but also the rooms on the 9th - 12th floor. Our guest lifts will also undergo upgrading and we hope that this will be completed in time for your next visit.

With regards to the lingering smell on some of the pillows, the Housekeeping team is working closely with the Laundry contractor in monitoring the linens once it is returned from laundry.

Likewise the Engineering team in focussing on a CARE program for the rooms to rectify both the room air con and the shower faucet.

We have shared your comments with the Restaurant Manager on the breakfast spread and the service level in Modestos. Since then the staff have been briefed during their daily operation meeting.

Once again, we thank you for your constructive criticism as only with this can we improve and exceed guest expectation.

Regards

Durban, South Africa
Reviewed 30 December 2013

My stay at the Elizabeth has always been most memorable.
The staff no doubt, made me feel comfortable and their service has been tops.
I will certainly recommend your hotel to any person looking for a little haven, tucked away.
I have stayed at your hotel on every visit to Singapore and will certainly continue to choose you on my next visit.

Ivy Jerrier

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Ivy J

It is a pleasure always to have you with us on your frequent visit to Singapore and for making us your choice hotel during each visit.

Thank you for recommending us and for your loyalty. We look forward to see you back soon in the little haven tucked away.

Wishing you the best for the New Year.

Have a pleasant week ahead.

Best Regards

Reviewed 25 December 2013 via mobile

I went to Singapore last week and stay at Elizabeth hotel. I like hotel location, very convenience and the room was very clean. Also, they have very good service. Feel very good to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Ebommby
Dear Ebommby

We are glad to know that you have enjoyed your stay at The Elizabeth Hotel and the team would like to thank you for making us the choice hotel during your recent visit.

It will be a privilege to welcome you back soon and would appreciate if you could email me at faharudin@fareast.com.sg should you plan to visit us again.

Warmest Regards