“Lovely, great location and amazingly attentive”

Village Hotel Albert Court by Far East Hospitality
Ranked #77 of 316 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 23 August 2014

I was here for four nights and was soon impressed by the lovely scent that greets you, the gradeur of the entrance area, and more notably by the staff's personal touches and attention. The breakfast attendant would greet me by my first name, the bar staff insisted on offering a free hot toddy sans alcohol when I enquired about a lemon tea for my sore throat. I was also there on business and booked a meeting room and the staff went out of their way to make sure everything was set up well. The rooms are average size by American/Canadian standards but large by Singapore standards. They have all you need. The location is another bonus: a lovely stroll away on a pedestrian path a couple blocks to the famous Bugis MRT and market area and lots of stalls to choose from. It's also across the road from the Little India MRT and Little India itself. Some great food to choose from whether it's the Banana Leaf resto or the Tekka food centre. We booked nights with breakfast included and it is incredibly generous and lovely: choices of hot foods, typical continental and then things like omelets and traditional Malay and Indian choices. Highly recommend. No complaints!

Room Tip: The higher room floors have a great little common area where you can look down unto shuttered window...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
RameshKanesan, Manager at Village Hotel Albert Court by Far East Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2014

Dear emma1980_12,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. We are delighted that you had a positive stay and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

With kind regards,

There are newer reviews for Village Hotel Albert Court by Far East Hospitality

Reviewed 22 August 2014

Stayed at this hotel for two nights. We are originally booked in Bugis hotel, but after all the explanations of the receptionist we came to move to Albert Court hotel whice there (sister hotel) although we're a bit disappointed about moving hotels, me an my wife are very happy and feel good the room they provided us although a bit noisy on the front of the hotel. We kept the windows shut and used the air conditioning which was a little too cold at times but on the whole a really pleasant stay...
The breakfast are divine..fresh food and wonderful coffee. And the simple Club Lounge itself is deceiving because of Theresa (staff in the lounge bar) she's very accommodating, chatting to her makes me comfortable and she also taking care of us while we are the Bar. Cocktail is worth it because of her excellent service.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
RameshKanesan, Manager at Village Hotel Albert Court by Far East Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Dear Takeshi A,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your experience on Trip Advisor. We apologize for the inconvenience caused and appreciate your feedback. We will certainly share this with Theresa and our team. Our ability to improve our product and service offerings has been a hallmark for this hotel over the past years and we will continue to ensure our guests needs are met and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future and I would be pleased to personally facilitate your reservation.

Stay Village. And Discover.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

Pre-booked before leaving home. Stayed twice. First time not impressed. Mouldy smelling room offered on 3rd floor but no problem for staff who were so friendly and welcoming and offered a different room. Second time we were pleased first up when offered a room on the 8th floor. Rooms are basic but functional, hallways need carpet upgrade, bathrooms need grips for shower in bath, especially for us oldies. Breakfast OK but a tight fit when there are so many for a buffet breakfast. You get what you pay for, but thought this may be a little overpriced if they are trying via Far East Hospitality to promote Singapore. Must say staff really good. Great micro brewery in the Albert Court with Czech style food.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
RameshKanesan, Manager at Village Hotel Albert Court by Far East Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2014

Dear 639Kay,

thank you for choosing us again. We have refurbished all our rooms in the main tower and will be replacing the carpet in October. I am most thankful for your comments on our staff as service been a part of daily culture. I will look into the feedback and see if we can get some rooms with safety grips. I have shared your comments with the team and looking forward for your next visit.

With kind regards,

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Stayed here for one night recently when arriving in Singapore and was very pleased with the hotel. The rooms are of a high standard, very comfortable, and the service was excellent. The staff were happy to help with onward travel etc and the happy hour option is good value with unlimited drinks from the bar between 6 and 8 I think it was. If you are looking to avoid the big chain hotels in the centre and stay somewhere with a little more character this is a good choice.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
RameshKanesan, Manager at Village Hotel Albert Court by Far East Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear Martin R,

Thank you for your review of our Hotel here on Trip Advisor and we are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is always a pleasure to have guests spending time at the bar during cocktail hour, enjoying meting other guests and the ambience.
We would love to welcome you back to our hotel the next time you are travelling to Singapore. Please feel free to contact me directly so I can personally make your hotel arrangements.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

This was just a terrible experience from start to finish.
Tip: When there are guests lining up to check in, don't just leave it to one staff member when there are 3 of you behind the desk chatting.
Booked a club room for around $310... Arrive to be told "We have problems with our club rooms so there is a shortage". Downgraded to a Premier (which is the equivalent of something I could have booked for $150 somewhere - not amazing). Went to my room to find a little double bed (possibly a queen), but I did manage to get them to move me to a king at least - When downgrading someone wouldn't you try to at least give them something decent instead of the LOWEST possible room you had?
They did offer me all of the club benefits with the crappy room, but since most of the reasons for booking Club are INSIDE the room, all this want is that I had 2 beers and a couple of cold samosas at happy hour. Although Theresa at the bar was extremely nice and provided great service.
Check out the attached photo to see the filthy glasses left in the bathroom, and the shower on full hot/no cold only produced lukewarm water.
My booking also included a 2 hour lounge pass at Changi airport but at check out they didn't want to give me that either so I had to argue that for 5 minutes.
I'd just been speaking to some people at the airport saying how I love the Far East group of hotels in Singapore but this one is a massive fail.
The two stars are for Theresa at the bar, none for anything else. Can't run a place like this in Singapore when there are so many good options elsewhere.

Room Tip: Try another hotel
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank 2Adam2

Dear 2Adam2

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor. We value your comments.

I am personally disappointed to note that you did not appreciate the experience at Village Hotel Albert Court. Our apologies for not meeting your expectations.
I have noted on the service aspect of attention to details and will ensure we improve on the areas mentioned.
Thank you for the commendation for Theresa and I have shared your comments with her.
I would like to assure that we take your feedback seriously and will make every effort to make necessary improvements. We hope you will reconsider your decision for Village Hotel Albert Court in the future.

Yours Truly

Reviewed 20 August 2014

i was in singapore with my daughter and friend and his family from 13 th august to 18th august and the hotel was suggested to me by my friends who had stayed there earlier .
It was an amazing experience , the location, food and service were excellent .
I must make a mention that the staff were courteous and very helpful especially mr patrick at the reception who went out of the way to make our stay comfortable
thank you for a wonderful holiday experience

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank har00n1
RameshKanesan, Manager at Village Hotel Albert Court by Far East Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear har00n1,

Dear webb313,

Thank you for your review of our Hotel here on Trip Advisor. We are delighted to learn that you had a wonderful experience and the location was great. We appreciate you kind comments on the service from our team. Your compliments has been shared with the team. I will. We would love to see you again if your travel brings you back to our garden city.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights, the hotel has that old charm to it, the rooms where very good, Stayed in a premier room in the front of the hotel which had high ceilings and everything you needed The staff are extremely good and go out of their way to help. location is very good, very close to Bugis and Little India, Breakfast is good but can get crowded, Nice courtyard in front of the hotel if you want a drink. Would I stay again the answer is YES

Room Tip: Get a room facing the back of hotel
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank webb313

Dear webb313,

Thank you for your review of our Hotel here on Trip Advisor. We are glad to learn that you had a wonderful experience, especially the location and service from our team. Your compliments has been shared with the team. I will. We would love to see you again if your travel brings you back to our garden city.