“Old & new building of hotel - falsely advertised as new one....”

Carlton Hotel Singapore
Ranked #57 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 4 August 2012

Booked through Agoda thinking we would be staying in awesome looking glass building with good views. There are two buildings that make up Carlton Hotel - we were in the old part which had quite different rooms. Rooms are old & dated & smelt.
Booked for 2 adults & wrote a note on the booking saying three would be saying as booking page messed up. Got there & was told 1 adult was booked & only 1 adult had breakfast included & that it was $80 for a rollaway bed. Did not pay $80 & shared a single bed... :/
Overall is in central location, but definitely could do better for money.
Special mention to the concierges who were amazing, friendly, funny & always smiling. They made the stay a lot better!!

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Melissa S
Write a ReviewReviews (4,057)

Reviewed 4 August 2012

My partner and I finished our 2 week holiday off in Singapore. We stayed 3 nights in the 'newer wing'. Newer? Really? Found out that there is an old wing, a newer wing (which has to be 15 years old at least and really dated) and a premium wing. If you want 4 stars or more, don't stay in the newer wing. I'm disappointed with Hotels.com as I queried this before booking the hotel and they assured me that the newer wing was the new section - it's not. We had to ask to change rooms as the shower had hair in the drain (yes - very inviting!) and our tv didn't work. The staff are pretty lazy, no one goes over and above here. I think they think they are all on holidays and not working more than the bare minimum. I asked to change room which they did but moved us to a room that was just as dated, no hair thank goodness in the shower though, but the room smelt old and stuffy and the hotel was very dated. If you have to stay here, the lobby is lovely so for a second you will think you chose wisely but only stay in the Premiere wing. Otherwise 3 star at best.

Room Tip: Only stay in the premiere wing. Newer wing is old. It's criminal that they can claim the newer w...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nelly S
Reviewed 3 August 2012

After staying at the Carlton some 6 years ago it was definitely top of my list for hotels for our trip this time around. The location of this hotel is great as it is close to a MRT station, shopping malls and even an easy walk to Chinatown. We booked a Superior Room through a 3rd party website. The room was spacious and comfortable and had everything we needed except for wifi. We used the wifi in the lobby when we needed to and it decided to work for us. We had the buffet breakfast on our last day and I was a little disappointed with the quality of the food. There was a good variety of food but it wasn't as hot as it could be and not as delicious as I remembered.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Catinthehat13
Reviewed 2 August 2012

The Carlton is a good business hotel. Great work area and lighting. Desk has anything you might need as well for supplies. Whats great about it is the 7x24 gym. Small, but new from last year and great equipment. Plus you can go in early for those early morning flights. I decided to try the spa and it was expensive and I got was a package mask. I complained to the staff and did get a discount but I'll never use the services again. Nice quiet hotel rooms for those like me who are light sleepers. I'm not a fan of the breakfast buffet...lower quality nd not great variety. A bit pricey, but Singapore is!!

Room Tip: High and ask for non street facing.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Barb_from_boston
An EasyToBook.com traveler
Singapore
Reviewed 30 July 2012

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank An EasyToBook.com traveler
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Large hotel with nice lobby but very disappointing room. I booked through Agoda so I think I got a duff room - despreately in need of refurbishment, 3 star quality at best, boring room and tatty bathroom. Room was pretty large and had TV, safe, tea/coffee making, fridge, aircon, ironing board/iron, desk, no wifi (only LAN cable), wifi didnt work for me in hotel lobby. Breakfast was pretty good, lots of variety. Very busy hotel so they must be getting something right, maybe its the price which seemed a little lower than other large city center hotels, still expensive though. Oh, and lots of drilling going on somewhere in the hotel. I won't be back.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Smack on Bras Basah Road. Just across the road is Chijms, The Raffles and a mall with decent choice of designer brands and cafes. Also within short walk of the MRT! And 10 min or less cab ride to Clark Quay.

Was impressed with the service and the rooms. Staff was helpful and very courteous. Rooms: Nothing special or fancy, your standard 4-star amenities. but nonetheless comfortable. Loved the aroma of the bath gel! :-) thought the breakfast buffet was good. Not going overboard with a kazillion choices -- unlike other hotels which often results in a feeding frenzy.

However, was a bit confused about the wifi access. Apparently u have to plug in to access. But if you've only got a tablet, it's def a disadvantage. Didnt bother to ask in the end as i was only staying a night.

Nonetheless it was a fab stay. Will definitely return!

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends