“Okay, the Lobby is very Good. The Bed is very Cozy!”

Carlton Hotel Singapore
Ranked #52 of 308 Hotels in Singapore
“Okay, the Lobby is very Good. The Bed is very Cozy!”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I stayed here for 5 days. One thing that I remembered was... The breakfast menu always stay the same... until I bored, and finally decide to find another breakfast outside the hotel...
The lobby and internet access are very good! The smile of the receptionist is also very charming. The bed is very comfortable. Like it a lot! Near to the subway train station (only 100 meter) to Bras Basah MRT Station. Overall, I enjoyed my stay in here...

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (783)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

When my friends and I enter the hotel, we were impressed by the design of the hotel lobby. But the image was destroy when we went check in at the front desk. We went up to 1 lady, she did not say anything, just turn her head to signal us to go to another person. No greeting, no smile from the front desk staffs. When we made some error on the booking, the staff did not go extra miles to help us solve the problem instead giving us a black face. They don't have patience in explaining, as my friends from oversea do not understand English well. With the amount we paid, I am very sure we can find a better hotel with better service. Will not recommended to my friends anymore.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Racheal T
London
Reviewed 7 May 2014

This is the worst hotel that I have personally stayed at in Singapore.

Rooms are dated and at best an average standard. In-room facilities are sub-standard. The TV for example picks up poor reception, and the iron was faulty, and damaged an expensive shirt. What is particularly dissapointing is the service, and in my experience, the complete failure to respect guests requests and value their time. I have had items go missing from my room during my stay, and simple requests; such as access to a travel adapter plug, failed to be met.

I will not be staying in this hotel again and I would not recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Try a room at another hotel.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Duxbury, Massachusetts
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Before our cruise, we stayed here. The lobby was beautifully adorned with the glass sculptures of Chihouley. Service was prompt and courteous. Location, walking distance from the harbor, across from a mall, next to the famous Raffles, was comfortable and pleasant. The hop on bus stopped by the hotel. Drinks and meals at the hotel were a bit pricey by our standards, but it is, after all, Singapore. We would love to stay at this hotel again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Lobby : The lobby is large and impressive with lots of marble. The reception staff were not the most welcoming of people, but equally were not rude.

Rooms : It is important to note that the hotel will have a huge revamp from June 2014 - Feb 2015 so their regular rooms (an entire wing), will be unavailable for this period. It is just as well as the rooms are really dated to say the least. Once they are upgraded, the hotel and their prices will match. I stayed in the newer wing in a club room. The room and its furnishings are lovely. The bathroom is modern with a gorgeous rain shower and a bathtub. The bedroom is large and really modern. There is a good sized desk to work at with a comfortable chair.

Surprisingly. there is only wifi in the public areas.....even if you want to pay!! They only have internet on a wire which is rather dated and not practical if you have a mobile phone or ipad that you wish to connect.

The breakfast room was always busy (that said there is always a table). There is a large variety to eat from cold continental breakfast all the way to a fry up.

The coffee shop (Tuxedo I believe it was called) serves great coffees and cakes.

Overall I think that the hotel is lucky due to its location. If the hotel was not going to have a huge upgrade I would say it is rather dated. They need to address the wifi issue.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Travel_Girl_Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

The location of the hotel is very nice. It takes 5mins for MRT. This is not a small hotel. I expected the service should be very good on customer-oriented as Raffles Hotel just next to Carlton Hotel. However, the Concierge staff attitude was very bad. When I asked for borrow the umbrella, the staff just show the acknowledge notice for my signature. There is no eye contact at all and never with smiling face. I will never come back again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Emilywai
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 5 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Carlton Hotel in a Premier Room on the 16th floor back in late October/early November 2013 for 6 nights. Our friends who were also staying at the hotel got a nice surprise at check-in when the rooms they had booked in the Main wing were upgraded to the Premier wing thankfully. Checking reviews of main wing rooms, it seems that they are definitely not up to scratch.

In the Premier wing on the other hand we had absolutely no complaints about our room except a small rust hole appeared in the bath on our second day... rather than changing rooms we opted to stay in the room and management decided to give us a late checkout for free on our last day which was very nice.
Our room was newly furnished with a Herman Miller chair, LCD tv, great bathroom, cushy towels and Nespresso machine (expect to pay for the pods though, or buy your own elsewhere!) Our bed was huge and along with the pillows, very comfortable.

The wifi is free down in the lobby area and main areas of the hotel, but expect to pay big dollars for wifi in your room. This is why the lobby area is ridiculously busy with guests lounging about at all times of day on their different devices.

The hotels location is extremely convenient, right between the Bras Basah and City Hall MRT stops which will take you anywhere around the city. Chinatown and the Esplanade areas are a walk away, Orchard Road shops are within walking distance as well (although a bit longer as that road is very very long). The Raffles hotel is right across the road, and the Raffles City Shopping centre is diagonally opposite (walk through here to get to City Hall MRT stop) and has a fantastic food court at the bottom with a great grocery store and a million food options.

We elected not to go with the expensive breakfast buffet each day but rather feasted on cheap kaya toast and kopi (coffee) each morning as the Singaporeans do.

Room Tip: Stay in the Premier wing only until the Main wing is upgraded!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends