“Rooms Average”

Ranked #50 of 306 Hotels in Singapore
Bromley
“Rooms Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

Great location, opposite the Raffles Hotel and Shopping Centre. Staff and service were excellent. However, a lot of the rooms are tired looking and could do with a makeover. Having said that, there is a nice bar area with live music and an excellent buffet for breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for a room higher up for peace and quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (772)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Funchal, Portugal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

I loved this hotel and i love Singapore. I do recommend Singapore as a vacation place. I will definitely come back to Singapore and i will definitely stay at Carlton hotel. Excellent Hotel and Staff. Very nice location. I ll be back

Kind Regards

Room Tip: Kindly ask to stay in the new wing of the hotel
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Rosemead, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

I would have given this hotel a poorer rating but due to their well-maintained facilities, an average rating would suffice.

First issue: I made my reservation online and communicated with the front desk through email informing them that I will be in Singapore on a business trip and will be checking in a little pass midnight. On my behalf and through miscommunication, the booking was made for the midnight after my arrival; therefore, there wasn't a room prepared for me when I arrived. I understood the problem and asked if there was anything they can do as I was pretty tired from my flight. The graveyard shift receptionist was confused and I could see she started to become nervous so she called the duty manager to handle my case. As soon as I saw him come out, he had the most unwelcoming expression I've ever seen which automatically dropped my mood.

Second issue: The duty manager explained that due to my reservation there was nothing they could do; I could only check in the next day. I tried explaining to him that through the email conversation, I made it specifically clear that I will check in at this date, at this time (a new day begins when past midnight) but he explained that all hotels consider anytime before 4AM is still the previous date. He informed me that if I wanted a room now, I would need to pay for the night. Since I had no other place to stay and the company was paying for this trip, I agreed.

Third issue: It's about 3AM now and he informs me that my room will be ready in 3 hours... I'm already agitated about the whole situation and this just drives me up the wall. I informed him that I didn't need the room to be completely serviced, I just wanted a shower and a comfy bed to knock out on. He replies that there's nothing they can do, I would have to wait in the lobby.

Even though this situation is partially my fault, I would expect the hotel to be bustling around trying to get me a room as quickly as they can, I don't think it looks appropriate to have a guy sleeping on the lobby couch with his luggage. Nope, everyone seemed to not really care that this was happening...

Never staying here again and never recommending this place.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Kevin T
chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

I have stayed here several times on business and I agree with most people that this is a good hotel for Singapore. The location is convenient with many dining options and MRT system just across the road.
The hotel staff are hit and miss in terms of friendliness and efficiency but overall are good.

Hotel food is good with the standard buffet breakfast options are available but I think you can do better/ cheaper grabbing a bite from the basement foodcourt at the mall across the street if you have the time.

ROOMS
One thing to watch out for here is that there are two towers associated with this property, one is premier and much newer, wireless internet, comfortable beds, updated bathrooms and the other is a worn out disaster, with musty smelling rooms, worn out carpets, rock hard beds but with free wired internet- (no good for your tablet or modern devices!!!!)
There is a price difference between the two so be aware ($SG70 per night when I stayed)

Room Tip: stay in premier tower rooms free wifi in lobby if you dont want to purchase
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank barnacle08
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

The Carlton Hotel is not cheap but then again, it's hard to find a "cheap" property in Singapore these days. What I found fabulous was the location - diagonally across the road to Raffles City Shopping Centre and the Raffles MRT (subway system). We arrived in the early hours of the morning and found ourselves at 0330 hours eating at the McDonalds just around the back of the hotel - most convenient being a 24 hour eatery. Lots of eating options close by and it's just so easy to get around in Singapore and so safe. Our room was very comfortable with a wonderful view overlooking the swimming pool of the Raffles Hotel. The room facilities were in good order and the bed was most comfortable and the water hot. The air conditioner unit had a "sleep mode" which made the unit even quieter at night which was a wonderful innovation. My only complaint would have to be with the tea and coffee making facilities. Instead of a conventional kettle to boil, you are supplied with a mini urn which does not reach boiling point before switching automatically to "warm". Most annoying because the water has to be boiling to make a decent cuppa. A minor grievance though. The outdoor pool area is lovely, particularly at night. Service at reception and concierge desks was faultless and I could thoroughly recommend staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: I'd ask for a higher floor to get a look at the Singapore lights at night.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Carol J
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

Hotel is very good value and just around the corner from Raffles. Rooms were well maintained and we had no problems. The pool was deserted and twice we opted to eat our evening meal at the poolside as it felt as though we were at our own private villa pool. Staff were very efficient and friendly. We were allowed to use our rooms on arrival early morning and wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel. We would stay here again when we return to Singapore.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights on our way to Barcelona, the staff are all very pleasant however after going to our room we noticed the air conditioner was not working. We mentioned it on our way out for something to eat & where told they would have someone look at it while we where out. When we returned it was still the same so I made a phone call to reception & they moved us immediately to a new room in the newer part of the hotel. It was no trouble & we stayed there again 5 weeks later on our return from Rome & they took very good care of us. The bar & staff where fantastic with cocktails, beer & nibbles. Would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the new part of the hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple