“Very Good Hotel and Excellent Loation”

Conrad Centennial Singapore
Ranked #21 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 31 July 2011

I read the disappointed reviewer's review and I can see why some things would bug that reviewer. What s/he had to say about the electrical outlets is spot on. Very very few and you have to sit down in a chair to dry your hair because your only option is by the TV and the plug is so low to the ground and cord so little that you can't stand and do it. So, that does bug a bit. I think because the property is older...that it has few outlets. I'm actually surprised during the re-model (looks like it was re-modelled about 8-10 years ago) that they didn't add more outlets. Maybe the infrastructure wiring wouldn't support it and was way too costly to change the infrastructure....i dunno.

The rooms are nice and spacious but besides the 46" Sony HD TV, it's not as modern as many of the other 5 star hotels I've stayed at in Asia. For instance, the curtains and shades are all manual. A bit rough as they've planted the work desk directly in front of the curtains. The carpet is high quality berber (with nice padding) but not the thick artfully designed carpets you see like they have in the walkways and lobby and like most 5 star Asian hotels have in the guest rooms. It's like a variation of tan and matches with completely tan chairs made of light wood. So, it becomes very bland very quickly -- too matchy matchy. Clearly a gay man did not decorate this joint. Haha! They need to hire a gay dude!! But if you compare it to Hiltons in the states, it's quite definitely 1 to 1.5 stars higher in service, quality, and decor. Plus the bed was SO comfortable as were the high thread count lilnens.

I got upgraded to an executive room and the lounge is uber posh. Probably tied with JW Marriott in Mumbai as the nicest executive lounge I've ever been in. Tasteful and plush carpets and art. I'm gonna give the award to JW Marriott due to its size (roughly 3,500 square feet and options for seating) but this one isn't far behind. There were fireworks last night and you could see them SO well from the 31st floor executive lounge. The wine there was of good quality and the food items were also quite nice for a nosh.

The lobby is very opulent and the service is friendly, kind, and sincere. I had housekeeping bring me an iron this morning and before she came in the front desk called me and said that the housekeeper was outside my room but could not knock as my "DND" light was on. Nice touch. I let her in promptly and apologized.

Haven't eaten the food. There is a substantially sized food stall in a mall across from the hotel (where you get on the hop on hop off buses) and the food there is terrific plus it's SO much cheaper. It's actually affordable. That's saying something in a country in which a Big Mac is approx. $7 USD and a Heineken beer at a bar is about $14 USD. OUCHERS!!

I'd stay at this property again, being a Hilton Gold member. The hotel is adjacent to the Mandarin and the Pan Pacific. The PP hotel, from the exterior, seems to be more posh than either this property or the Mandarin...they definitely have a nicer pool than the Hilton....but....don't know about the rooms until i actually can see into them!

My hope is that they'll modernize the decor in the next 5 years. Right now it's very 1998 Old Money decor. Get hip, Conrad! I've seen some of your other properties. You can do it here!

3  Thank ATLconsultant
Write a ReviewReviews (4,569)

Reviewed 30 July 2011

We stayed in the centennial suite at Conrad for 3 nights during our recent family vacation to Singapore. We found the hotel location very convenient, right next to Promenade MRT and the Suntec City mall with a host of shopping and good eating options nearby.

The suite had a separate sitting area with a large screen TV which allowed us some alone time after the kids were asleep. We had a partial view of the Marina and full view of the fountain. Hotel staff was OK. Great breakfast with highlight being the amazing ice cream they served, which our kids had with the waffles.

All in all a good stay.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Well, disappointing…I stayed in a double business room (single use non-refundable was over USD 300.00 per night, breakfast not included).
So… yes the reception looks expensive and stylish, but the room …well I could not escape the feeling of “back to the 80’”; the furniture and bathroom looked a bit dated. Plasma tv was refreshing the impression in a way, but the room did not look like a business room in a 5* star hotel. The hardest time I had – was with sockets. After I disconnected plasma I hardly managed to find 2 I guess. So if you have a notebook; ipod; 2 cell phones and a camera to charge and at the same time you want to boil some water for the tea and use a hairdryer it’s gonna be a bit complicated; and even more funny if you’re in two.
I mean, hello, it’s 2011, it’s Singapore where people are changing devices and gadgets like socks and you have 2 sockets in a business room. It’s certainly not a disaster but they are definitely loosing a few points here.
The breakfast: the buffet is about USD 30-35 (no comments); the food is ok; but there were a couples of times when I had to look through the whole stack of plates to find a really clean one as some of them were badly washed! I mean you could see the traces of food left! That’s the first time I come across such a thing in a hotel; and I used to stay in quite a wide range of them from guest houses in India to luxury hotels in Dubai.
The pool: the pool area is ok; but again there’s “but”. If you wanna have some sun in the morning (i.e. till 12:00) you will have to drag your sunbed into the corner close to the exit from the gym which is at a certain distance from the pool and cannot even be considered a pool area. The pool itself and pool terrace are overshadowed by the hotel building till 12:30-13:00 when it’s already too hot. Besides if you want to order a drink you will have to spend some time trying to find someone from the staff who could help you with that.
Some time ago we were staying at Madarin Oriental in Kuala Lumpur – we had a deluxe double with park view for around USD 200 per night and the whole impression (I mean everything - service; rooms; food; hotel amenities) was impeccable.
I know Singapore is more expensive than Malaysia, but still I don’t think Conrad lives up to declared standards and certainly not to prices charged.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
ConradSingapore_CCS, General Manager at Conrad Centennial Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2011

Dear Guest,

We truly appreciate your taking the time to give a comprehensive review on your stay experience.

Where we have fallen short of your expectations in certain aspects of product and service delivery, we do sincerely apologise for the inconveniences that have been caused.

We sincerely value and will take your feedback intently in the areas where we need to, and can make constructive changes. Because it is through listening to, and learning from our guests, that we can constantly seek to do things differently and do them better. It also serves as a reminder to ourselves, the importance to maintain consistently high standards.

Despite your disappointment on this occasion, we do indeed look forward to have an opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel at some point in the future.

Reviewed 29 July 2011

This hotel is really good, specially if you are Hilton Honors Gold or more.
The building is reasonably new and the rooms are beautiful.
The service at the Club floor is very attentive and the drinks and food served there is better than average in other hotels.
The only con I would put here is the insane level of the Air Conditioned. it's incredibly cold everywhere in the hotel, I asked them to block the air outlet in my room because even with the air off it was some cold air coming in the room and it was always COLD¡¡¡
Apart of that, I would recomend this hotel to anyone.

Reviewed 29 July 2011

All of the personnel were excellent and hepful, we only had one minor problem at the hotel itself which was quickly and thoroughly resolved and one day when the servicing of our room was sub standard, but again, quickly corrected.
The only poor service we had was from the central booking service and Hilton Honors from which we had mis-information and contradictory figures. It was a struggle to book and we' had to make long and expensive international phone calls from both Belgium, where we live and Australia, which was our first destination before things were sorted out.
One warning: there are two Hilton hotels in Singapore so make sure you say Conrad and /or Centennial if you use a taxi to get there.
Tour buses leave from a point just opposite the hotel, where there is also a huge shopping centre with a food court, so you can adventure out or stay near the hotel and find everything you need. Food at the hotel is excellent.
I recommend the Changi Museum which gives a good overall history of Singapore not just of the infamous prison.
For spectacular views, take the cable car or visit the Sky Park which is on top of a tall building you can't miss seeing on your way into the city from the airport.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Had a five night stay at the Conrad and enjoyed it lots. Staff are friendly and trying to help wherever they can. A question that did arise was how the daily newspaper allocation was done - one day there was on the other day not - no big issue though.

room was spacious and the bathroom wonderful. Unfortunately the doors of the rooms cannot be closed in any silent way and hence one might be woken up in the middle of the night by a door getting shut. Being in jetlag this was a bit annoying and hence there are only four stars on this rating.

Did enjoy the fitness centre multiple times and would have loved to take a dip in the pool which is not small.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Greetings from Conrad Centennial Singapore!

We truly appreciate your comments on this website as they enable us to constantly keep ourselves on track to ensure quality and consistency in meeting guests’ needs and expectations.

Thank you in particular for the feedback on the newspaper delivery. Allow us to clarify that it is indeed made available daily, upon guest’s request. At the same time, please accept our apologies with regard to the doors. Rest assured that we would certainly look into this matter for a suitable resolution.

Once again, thank you for your truly valuable comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 29 July 2011

It's the second time I stayed at the hotel, it is well located and service is good. The rooms were quiet for a good night's rest.

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Conrad Centennial Singapore!

Thank you for choosing to stay with us again. We truly appreciate your feedback on our services and are glad to know you had a restful night with us.

We hope to see you again very soon!