“Rooms were great. But frontline and reservation needs improvement.”

Conrad Centennial Singapore
Ranked #21 of 316 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 16 February 2009

I had booked a month in advance for a 1 night stay in a king bed business room at the Conrad on valentines’ day. However, 2 days before the 14th, a staff from Conrad called to inform me that they would be running on full house on 14 feb, and hence are offering an early check in at 10 am. As I had plans for the morning, I declined the offer and informed them that I would be checking in at the official check-in time of 2pm. The staff went on to inform me that, as they would be expecting a large crowd, it would be advisable for me to arrive after 3pm to avoid the crowd at check-in.

On the 14 feb, I arrived at 215 pm at the hotel lobby but only managed to get my turn to check-in at 240pm. I had a bad feeling when the front desk staff processing my check-in started making calls to the housekeeping department exclaiming the lack of rooms to issue to the guests checking in. True enough, she then informed me that the room category I had booked for was not available, and there were only twin beds left for the business rooms. She then proceeded to issue me a king non-executive room, which according her was the only room with a king bed left. When I enquired on why I could not get a room that I had reserved for, She simply answered that “rooms are issued on a first-come-first-served” basis. Imagine what rooms would be left if I had really came at 3pm? She went on further to explain that all the rooms in the different categories are exactly the same, differing only in the benefits that came with the room. Throughout the whole incident, she was persistent in getting me to accept the “downgrade” and her take-it or leave-it attitude showed that she was unwilling to go think of any other alternative.

Only after further enquiry, did she mention that my room would only be available at 7pm after a group of tourist on the business levels who has paid for late checkout till 6pm leaves. I am seriously puzzled on why the hotel actually allowed the prior group of guests to extend their checkout when they are expecting a full house?

That was not all. Minutes after entering the non-executive room that I was issued, I was rudely interrupted by a housekeeping staff who entered my room with her ‘staff key’, without even ringing the doorbell! Her explanation for intruding was, she was trying to check if the room is currently being occupied as the front desk is facing a shortage in available rooms. My partner and I were appalled at the way our privacy was not respected and also at the lack of communication between the front desk and housekeeping department.

Being our first stay with Conrad, I was seriously disappointed at the level of service we were provided with. I had read numerous good reviews regarding the hotel and was looking forward to my stay. I only managed to get the room category that I had booked for, at 7pm, after the senior duty manager personally attended to my request.

The rooms at the Conrad did live up to their reputation in terms of cleanliness and comfort. Small details such as the pillow menu were also thoughtful. The room service was also prompt and delicious.

My only piece of advice for those that are staying at Conrad during peak occasions. Be able to check in early, else be prepared to accept the lack of service.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AnYanXuan
There are newer reviews for Conrad Centennial Singapore

Reviewed 13 February 2009

the Marina Bay area is still a little isolated but the hotel is very high standard - i have stayed here several times and i wish they would sort out the key card readers in the elevators - they always seem to malfunction

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 February 2009

We stayed here for three nights on a stopover across the New Year en route to Australia. We benefited from an excellent rate for the hotel's star rating, but even when you take account of the good value, no other hotel on our one month trip compared with this one.

The hotel is one of many in Marina Bay and it was very convenient for city sightseeing. We asked for a high room and that is what we were given with the added benefit of a view of the Merlion fountain in the harbour and the New Year's Eve fireworks.

The room was splendid with a bathroom you could party in. There was a bath and separate walk in/walk around shower, enhanced by marble surrounds in tasteful tones. For once the grand foyer was matched by the bedroom accommodation. We used the hotel's outdoor pool which was excellent.

The service was faultless from the check in, through the concierge staff and room service to the restaurant. My wife's gluten free vegetarian diet was catered for particularly well. Where else would you get the GF pasta made to order?

On the day I dropped my camera SD card through a grating in the street outside the hotel, the maintenace staff rescued it for me as though this was just part of their day's work! With all this excellent service the staff remained at hand but discrete and without an 'over the top' manner that you sometimes get in similar hotels.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BiggerAl
Reviewed 17 January 2009

My husband was on business in Singapore and I went along for the ride. I have stayed in hotels all over the world and have never experienced service like this. Check in was fantastic. Ten minutes tops. We were then escorted by receptionist to our room and explained air con, tv etc. Concierge desk was amazing. Nothing was too much trouble and all advice given was spot on. Room service was excellent and very fast. Ice blocks delivered to room twice a day without having to ask. Shopping in surrounding areas is great. Would definately stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Kathy C
Reviewed 1 January 2009

Stayed there from 6 - 8 Dec 08, where there's a promotion offer.

Whole stay cost 538SGD after taxes, which in my opinion, was not expensive considering the central location and proximity to major malls in the Marina area. The walk of 20 mins to the nearest rail station might not be to everyone's liking, though it's lined with moolah-splurging oppurtunities.

As this stay was communicated directly with the reservation desk, answers were prompt and friendly (thanks, Sharon Kaur!) even though my requests were numerous and lengthy. She was even apologetic for being on a day's holiday and unable to attend my emails.

Check-in was efficient; that Saturday existed a 10 customer-long queue. With two recept ladies at hand to manage the queue and constant apologies about the surge, I felt the situation was ably managed.

Check-in staff was detailed about my reservation, the package and even to the timing which I expected my 'goodie bag' to be delivered. There wasn't any escort to the lift, to be fair, I didn't see any guest served the privilege either. Access cards needed to be inserted before lifts were travel to the level of the guestrooms, safe, secure and abit slow if there's a big crowd in the same lift.

A Classic room holds the standard amenities, but of a higher quality. Bathroom comes with attached tub and signature Conrad Duckie. A selection of chocolates coupled with a welcome fruit platter are nice gestures. Room Service menu, minibar cost, well, the usual arm and leg.

The complimentary Christmas log was served up very promptly, too prompt by 1 day in fact. Was very pleased to be pointed out the log could be stuffed into the fridge when I ask him to bring it up the next day. No offense to citizens of a particular nation, but from his way of speech, seems to be from the PRC, and this incident didn't improve my impression of wait staff belonging to that particular sector. Well, for those who are interested . . . . the log couldn't fit into the fridge.

Buffet breakfast at Oscar's, served till 1030, not 11 as was indicated, and on Sunday, there was option to have it in the lounge. For couples, this seems a better option due to its ambience, positive isolation. The downside? Eggs-made-to-order will take a slightly long time for the lovely wait staffs to bring to you. Pls note this choice may not be available from Monday to Fridays. I thank the FnB people for arranging my breakfast at the poolside restaurant(reserved for Club guests, where there's a dresscode) when I turned up at Oscar's around 1040am. Again, the lady wait staffs kindly waived the dresscode for my gf and I, n we were impressed by their courtesy, except for a male wait staff, if I remember, goes by the name of Lionel. Being checked out from head to toe with a look of disdain doesn't spell 'hospitality' and 'service' being his forte. Buffet breakfast were the usual continental fare, with (in my humble opinion)tasty chinese-styled congee with many condiments, two dim sum dishes and 8 kinds of cereals(half of which proclaimed 'Organic'). Spreads for toasts came in little bottles and not the ubiquitous plastic containers, well done!

For those who like quick checkouts, Conrad does them pretty well. We were out in less than 10 minutes. I was promised HHonors and Krisflyer points will be credited, but till today the only thing was promised and delivered was the email feedback form, which was very prompt I must say. Will the management kindly priovide an update with the points thing, perhaps?

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wOoDpEkEr
Reviewed 14 December 2008

The Conrad in Singapore is an excellent choice for the business traveller, especially when choosing the executive rooms. The service provided is impeccable. The rooms are are beautifully designed, follwing an Asian scheme with a lot of bamboo. The bathrooms are very spacious and the room is very clean and in excellent technical condition. The valet service is prompt, uncomplicated and cleanliness is perfect. The breakfast on the executive floors takes place in a calm environment with a wide variety of international breakfast items. The view of Singapore is from the high floors of this hotel is absolutely outstanding. The location of the hotel is not fully ideal though, even though it is close to the convention center, it is a bit out of the city center and any activities in walking distance to the hotel are limited to "convention related activites" and other hotels. Still I would overall recommend this hotel for the business traveller going to Singapore.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled on business
1  Thank redwrangler8
Reviewed 8 December 2008

It costs a little more than some of the other hotels in the Marina area, but the difference is worth it.

Decor, amenities and little extra touches in the rooms are great. Beds are wonderfully huge and soft. Service is first rate, staff really seem to try and think ahead to help.

If you're looking for views, this is probably not the place, say compared to Swissotel, but overall, this shouldn't detract from the experience. So many things to see and do in Singapore that the length of time spent in the hotel room time may not be great !

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple