“A few hiccups (a dirty room at first and a crab claw in my Caesar salad), but overall an excellent stay”

The Fullerton Hotel Singapore
Ranked #21 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
London
Reviewed 6 December 2011

Overall, we had an excellent stay, but with a few hiccups along the way!

On arriving, our room was dirty. The carpet was covered in hairs and bits of paper, so we complained and we were immediately moved to another, slightly bigger room. We were sent an apology note and chocolates from the manager and also the head of housekeeping came to our new room to apologise - no hard feelings at all about the dirty room as they responded incredibly quickly, were apologetic, and dealt with the whole thing very well. The rooms themselves are very comfortable. There is everything you would expect for the price you're paying - bathrobes, slippers, extensive mini bar, toiletries etc.

We then dined at the hotel. The food was a good standard, although midway through I found a sharp crab claw in my Caesar salad. It could have actually been very dangerous had I swallowed it. Again, the staff were very apologetic and gave us a significant discount on the food. The waiter could not apologise enough and I think they were very paniced about the fact that I could have quite easily choked to death, and they were going to "launch an investigation".

The next day I was very sick with gastroenteritis and we were due out of the hotel at 12. The hotel were amazing - they called us a doctor, and let us have the room right into the evening until our flight home, complimentary. We felt that this was good customer service and left a not so bitter taste from the previous day.

Our sleep quality was actually very poor as there was a marathon in Singapore starting at 5am so music started blasting from a few hundred metres away from 5am and didn't stop until midday. However, this isn't a reflection on the hotel and I'm sure they were aggravated by it too!

We also visited the pool, which has a great view. When staying at the Fullerton, you have complimentary access to the facilities of Fullerton Bay (just across the road but you need to take a taxi, which the hotel will organise and pay for). At Fullerton Bay, there are 2 rooftop jacuzzis overlooking Singapore - I would highly recommend using them as they are fantastic.

Overall - rooms are lovely, and the staff cannot do enough for you, which is the real selling point of this hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (784)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 6 December 2011

We were booked into a suite at the Fullerton for 6 days commencing 29th September 2011 and were only there for 18 hours when we found out that a family member was gravely ill at home. The staff were nothing short of fantastic, especially the Duty Manager at the desk. We were only charged for 2 days and were assisted with finding airline tickets at short notice. They also cancelled other bookings on our behalf that we had in Singapore and offered to provide transport to the airport. We will return as soon as possible and have no hesitation in recommending this Hotel, it was expensive but I well worth it.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 6 December 2011

Such a lovely hotel; friendly, helpful staff. Very comfortable room, excellent housekeeping staff, concierge and bell desk.

Jade Restaurant and the terrace cafe were excellent. We always ate outside regardless of the heat and humidity.

We were initially disappointed having arrived at 2am Singapore time and were placed on the top floor (8th floor) and discovered that the room stank of cigarette smoke and the air conditioning units for the entire building were above us and sounded like a truck trundling through our room all night. We were too tired to care but requested to be moved the next morning. We were allocated a lovely, quiet, smoke free 5th floor room facing the courtyard.

The only disappointment I had was the day spa. The treatment I had was one I usually order at every day spa I attend and the one offered at the Fullerton was a little clinical and not terribly relaxing. Unfortunately the shower in the room did not have any hot water so I had to wash the body scrub off under a cold shower.

Nevertheless we are planning to return in 2013 with our two daughters for a more complete tour of the delights Singapore has to offer.

Thank you very much.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the inner courtyard are lovely and quiet. Beware the 8th floor for cigarette smoke and...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Hong Kong
Reviewed 5 December 2011

I went to Singapore in Mid November and stayed two nights there, just to meet my husband who was taking a course there. When I was choosing the hotel, as usual I read the reviews in TripAdvisor. The highest ranking hotels are either expensive or hotels for executives. I wanted to choose one for relaxation. I also wanted one which was near Marina area. I was about to choose another one when my colleague told me she really wanted to stay in Fullerton next time to visit Singapore. I checked the price, not expensive when compared with the other hotels near Marina Bay.
When I arrived at Singapore, I just rode the MRT to Raffles Place. Oh, it was just about 2 to 3 minutes’ walk to the hotel. You will not miss it because it is such a gorgeous colonial style building, especially in the evening.
When we checked in, Miss Barbara did it quickly and promised us to have late check-out because my flight was at 4:30 p.m. Then she accompanied us to our room and showed us the switches and amenities there. The service was really personal.
You will surely love the room even though the room has no view (courtyard room). You can just see the atrium of the hotel building. However, it has got a very high ceiling to make the room look even bigger. The bathroom is well equipped. What I like most in the room is the tea provided. It is TWG tea, a very nice tea. I tried to find the shop, but it was closed on Sunday. If you have chance, go to the shop which is just at the same MRT station.
Don’t miss the breakfast which is served in Town Restaurant. I recommend you to sit outdoors by river. It is not really hot in the early morning. The buffet breakfast serves a wide range of food, from Indian to Japanese, Western to Chinese.
The location of the hotel enables us to go everywhere easily. As the traffic is always busy, the best way to go around is to take the MRT. Besides that, Lau Pa Sat is just about 10 minutes’ walk. The other night we went to China Town. When we looked at the map, we found the place we were was just about 15 minutes’ walk from Lau Pa Sat from where we strolled along the river bank by One Fullerton back to the hotel. It was not tiring at all after the sun set.
One drawback is that there is no supermarket nearby. The nearest one is one MRT stop away.
I highly recommend this hotel if you want to enjoy a holiday in a wonderful building which is unique in the city.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Singapore
Reviewed 4 December 2011

Despite reading some of the less than complimentary reviews for this 5 star hotel, I decided to spend a short weekend getaway & wife birthday celebration at Fullerton hotel. Bingo, it was one of the best hotel selection made by me so far. Either the critics were hard to please folks (no offense intended) or there was a significant improvement in managing this hotel.

Hotel service - I am impressed with the warm and sincere hospitality shown to my family and I during our stay. A complimentary upgrade to a bay facing room, chocolate birthday cake, balloons and birthday card addressed to my wife :). A big thank you to the duty manager
Justin Phua. We relied on the speedy room services for all our meals. I recommend the mouth watering beef burger which I had for two consecutive lunches. Love the TWG tea sachets - of course again a nice surprise.

Room, room view and amenities - typical 5 star hotel room and amenities ..... But the view of the day and night bay view from the hotel room was breath-taking. Love the ultra comfortable king size bed - rest inducing bed haha. Infinity pool a tad small but discreet (accessible by hotel guests only).

Location of hotel - away from the orchard crowds but still accessible to great makan (dining) areas and shopping belt.

Breakfast - typical hotel breakfast buffet. Honestly, nothing to shout about - a letdown somewhat.

In short, I am a Fullerton hotel convert and I look forward my next stay in this wonderful hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a bay facing room for a possible upgrade
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Toronto
Reviewed 2 December 2011

I stayed at the Fullerton over the weekend in November 2011. The location couldn't be better and since I had only a few days in town i wanted to be central. The hotel had a deal for teh weekend - 2 nights for the price of 1 which made it palatable. The hotel itself is beautiful, service great and the rooms fantastic. If you have the means then the Fullerton is a great choice.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 1 December 2011

I went to Singapore on a business trip and stayed here at the advice of my good friends. I found the location and food great but it was extremely expensive and the hotel itself was old. The service was far from 5 star and many of the people at the front desk were cold and not willing to help. But there were a few very helpful staff and the business center amenities were excellent.

Room Tip: Try rooms in the refurbished 6 and 9th floors
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business