“Good stay with a few cons”

The Fullerton Hotel Singapore
Ranked #20 of 314 Hotels in Singapore
Melbourne, Australia
“Good stay with a few cons”
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I stayed at the Fullerton some time ago but decided to share my thoughts about it. We stayed 7 days there. First of all, they said we were "upgraded" to a better suite next to the pool. So guess what, some renovations were being done around the gym and the noise was unbelievable. So we got transferred to a room on some other level. Much better room! So don't believe in "upgrades". The room was great and the breakfast buffet was really really good. The location is obviously fantastic.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (791)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 15 November 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights in Nov 2013. It was our first visit to Singapore. We chose the Fullerton based on past reviews and its location. Our room was a one-bedroom suite that included club privileges (champagne breakfast, evening cocktails with canapés, and internet). The room was super large and quite nice, as was the bathroom and huge bathtub. To be picky, we would have preferred a second sink in the bathroom and a larger shower as it was only telephone booth size. There is so much extra space in the bathroom they could have easily made a better design, regardless, it was very nice. The king bed was very comfortable and we slept quite well.
We ate three times in the hotel, in the main floor Town restaurant (good), in the main floor restaurant Jade (fantastic) and on the top floor Lighthouse restaurant (very good with great views). The 30% off deal for hotel patrons is a nice offer. Above the Lighthouse restaurant is a roof top terrace bar which shouldn’t be missed, it’s a great place to sit and have a drink and has amazing views across Marina Bay.
The fitness centre is adequate but definitely small for a hotel this size. The pool was amazing, and it became a habit to end our afternoons there.
Location was absolutely great as there are many things within easy walking distance such as the Singapore Flyer, Marina Bay Sands Resort, Boat Quay, Raffles, and endless malls and restaurants. We even walked to Orchard Street which is a little further without any difficulties.
The staff were terrific all around. Taxi to/from the airport was fast and cheap, only around SGD 25 dollars. The hotel seemed to be popular with the business traveler and is definitely had a business feel to it. We normally prefer to stay at smaller, more boutique hotels, but this is a great location and a very nice hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Australia
Reviewed 15 November 2013

We arrived in Singapore after a long flight from Europe for that special stay at the Fullerton which to me was to be the highlight of the last long holiday of my life.

After checking in, we were approached my a staff member and told that the accomodiation was no longer available due to a plumbing issue. I requested and up grade or douwn grade. the answer was "no" and that we were to be transported to a sister hotel near by. We were seen to the front door and wisked away in minutes.
I was a heritage architect before retirement, and this hotel has a great attraction for me, and I can't relay strongly enough how disapointed I still am .

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank sophodogs
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

Located in heart of CBD which is great for my business purpose but it is a tad quiet during the weekends. I think their service is improving and they are good at taking constructive criticism and doing something about it.
Great breakfast spread though I don't get to have too much of it...
Pool is relatively small but quite cosy.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

We arrived at this hotel early evening and were told they could not accommodate us , despite our confirmed BA booking voucher, because of 'plumbing' problems. Instead they offered their junior property, the Fullerton bay nearby. After travelling for 16 hours, we insisted they honour their contract in the main building. Finally, they found us a sparsely decorated room facing inwards to the atrium, which meant curtains drawn the whole time! The conduct of the staff was cold and impersonal. Clearly, this was an over-booking issue.

This is a large business hotel, not geared to leisure travellers. It is well positioned with many facilities but it is basically a 'meeting place', with the lobby full of tables and the main bar like a station bar of old: full of short term transient business people.

We asked for a late checkout as our connecting flight was not until 9pm; the offered 1pm!

In summary, front of house poor; room allocated poor, hotel atmosphere cold and full of bustle; inflexible attitude; value extremely poor.

Not recommended for leisure travellers. By the way, one of junior staff said 'what plumbing problem?'

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nic H
Hallowell
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I rarely give my hotels a 5-star rating, as I think it must be reserved for a truly outstanding property. But the Fullerton Hotel in Singapore comes as close to perfect as I have ever experienced and so will get 5 stars from me.

Its location is ideal as we were able to walk almost everywhere we wanted to go. It is in the historic district and has walking access to museums as well as the Marina Bay Park. We had a room with a little balcony that overlooked the bay and had a ring-side seat of the laser light show projected over the bay each night from the mega-hotel, Marina Bay Sands, which was directly across from us.

The Fullerton is a beautifully restored historic building. The lobby is spacious and graciously-appointed with a winding staircase in the middle that leads down to a pond full of colorful fish. The middle of the building is a huge atrium with sky-lights providing natural light. The brass is polished, the marble gleaming and the chairs plush.

I cannot say enough about the service. Upon our arrival, we were assisted by doormen and bellmen, and after check-in a young man from the front desk escorted us to our room, showed us how everything worked (including the electric drapery pulls) and personally walked us over to the Straits Club where we enjoyed concierge privileges. When I had a problem with accessing WiFi on my I-Pad, the concierge took quite a bit of time to help me. He also answered all our touristy questions with patience and good humor. We felt well-cared for. The servers in the Straits Club always called us by name. Not overly-familiar first names, but as Mr. and Mrs. All the hotel personnel were polite and well-spoken. American hotels should take lessons there.

The restaurants ranged from casual to elegant and the food and service were superb. Whatever requests for modifications of menu items were gladly indulged. If you are planning a special celebration, The Lighthouse restaurant on the top floor has an interesting take on Italian food, attentive service and also provides a panoramic view of the City which is a-glow with lights at night. Book early as it is small and intimate.

Our room was not huge, but nicely appointed, spotlessly clean and very comfortable. There were welcoming gifts of a flowering plant and book about the history of the hotel. Complimentary little slippers were provided. The toiletries were top-notch. Bathroom was large and had granite counter tops.

Although you will find that Singapore is generally an expensive place to visit, the Fullerton Hotel is a very good value. I have paid far more in Boston for quite ordinary hotels. There are several properties in Singapore with Fullerton in their name, so make sure that this is the one you are booking.

And so, I hereby award The Fullerton 5 stars.

Room Tip: Choose a 6th Floor Bayside room to watch the laser show and the hub-bub of a busy and interesting ci...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I am visiting Singapore on business and this hotel is not my usual choice but because of close location to our client, we decided to stay. Upon arriving close to one in the morning from the airport, there were no doorman to help bring my luggages. I has to leave them outside to get help. My first room was very spacious but facing the lobby below and at 7 am, it felt like 7 pm. I requested a different room as I was going to stay for a week. They were very accommodating and give me a room facing outside of the building. Again very spacious but I have to step down vis short stairs to the bed room. Very unusual arrangement. But that was not the worst part of it. My next room neighbor was having all night party two nights in row screaming loudly and sounded like they were gambling in the room. Finally today, at 3 am I just could not stand it any longer. I called the front desk but it took them forever to come and ask my neighbor and their guests to end this so I had to do it myself. I travel very frequently in Asia and this never happened.

Also the bathroom is huge but Plumbing is very shoddy and I had water leak after I took my shower. Unfortunately I will never come back here to stay.

Room Tip: Select higher floor and not facing indoor atrium lobby.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business