“one of the best”

Ranked #26 of 306 Hotels in Singapore
hong kong
“one of the best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2009

We recieved a welcome upgrade which may have biased our view, we had 2 of the largest rooms.The staff were extremely friendly & efficient, breakfast is a buffet of good quality & we tried the seafood buffet which was both great value & great quality, both meals can be taken outside overlooking the river. The location is great for the local bar area & the central business district both on the doorstep, although those wanting to shop may favour an orchard road hotel. The only small negative comments I would have was perhaps the curtains could provide better 'black out' to prevent the early morning sun & the floodlights at night from the casino construction site across the bay(no noise was audible during our stay) plus the pool was a little small & cold(although quite empty during our visit)

• Stayed January 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (763)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2009

This is the 2nd time I have stayed at the Fullerton and it will be the last. When I checked in I reminded Reception that I had a 6pm check-out the next day, and please make sure that House-keeping don't keep knocking on my door trying to make up the room, like they did the last time I stayed. Anyway, of course they did it again anyway. Then, when no-one answered their knocks, they slipped a note under my door saying "your laundry is ready for pick-up"!!! I hadn't even submitted any laundry. (the note was supposed to say they wanted to make-up my room).
When I checked in, the room was freezing so I turned off the air-con. Six hours later, it was still freezing. Having lived in Singapore for the past several years, I did not have any pyjamas with me. I was freezing in bed, so rung up Reception and asked someone to come and fix the air-con. Two men came up and had to enter the ceiling to switch off the valve. This was completed AFTER midnight and by this time I was freezing and absolutely exhausted. I had to sleep with my dressing-gown wrapped around me, socks on my feet, as well as a sheet and doona over the top. (remember, this is Singapore, where even top-sheets are usually not needed)
Then, the message light kept blinking on the phone. I rang up to retrieve the message, but there was no message! The operator assured me they would fix the blinking light. This happened 7 times!! Eventually, they said someone would come up to the room........ they didn't turn up! Later, I had to call up and AGAIN ask for someone to come up and replace the phone. Many of the time I had to ring Reception and Concierge, no-one answered the phone. They also screwed up my breakfast order.
So, how did the hotel atone for this? An apology when I checked out....that's it. This is not good enough. I particularly chose the Fullerton, so I'd get a good night sleep before flying red-eye the next night. If you are reading this, Fullerton management, a simple apology upon check-out is not good enough. At the very least, some sort of compensation should be offered, even if it's just paying a small part of the bill. I am going to be angry about this for a long time to come.

• Liked — It's a great hotel but nothing works properly and the staff are pathetic
  • Stayed February 2009
2 Thank sglawrence2000
Bangkok
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2008

I stayed at the Fullerton from 28Sept08-1Oct08. This was after the Singapore Grand Prix event and my company reserved this hotel as it is walking distance to the office. The hotel lobby is huge and very luxurious. The single room was very spacious by Singapore standards (but to be honest I don't know the exact type of room since I didn't reserve or have to pay for it). Had a chance to try out the fitness room, which was also good. Ordered room service (the lamb, fired rice) and the food was delicious, in fact one of the best hotel foods I've ever had. Service was also fine - somehow the turnaround times at the front desk and concierge was fast despite the numerous hotel guests. All-in-all, very satisfied with the stay.

• Liked — Spacious room, cleanliness
  • Disliked — The building was an old post-office prior to renovation - could be scary for some people!
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Fullerton for two nights as a stopover on a trip back from Rome.

We stayed at the Fullerton last year with our two young children on a stopover on a trip back from the Maldives. The service was superb on all fronts and as a result we elected to stay again.

We arrived early in the morning after an overnight flight. This was naturally before check in so we were quite relaxed and understanding that our room might not be ready. Mind you on the last visit we arrived similarly early and they happily put us in a temporary room.

At the check in desk, it seemed that the lady handling our check in had a room ready and was going to put us in it and when she sought to, clear it or whatever they do, with her supervisor. Unfortunately the lady on the desk saw it as an “upsell” opportunity and highlighted that our room was unavailable, but a higher quality room was if we would like to book it. The extra cost was to be around S$500 compared to the room we had booked that was S$400 per night.

For a few hours this didn’t seem all that worthwhile and we declined. Sensing something a little odd with how this unfolded, I asked if the hotel was 100% full and I was told yes.

My wife and I then went and rested on the couches in the lobby. Very comfy they were and in 5-10 minutes my wife was out like a light. A further 10-15 minutes later, I guess this was noticed and a room was made available straight away.

So with a little delay we were in a room and after a short nap we headed out.

On return we were in our room, it was on the 7th floor with a balcony and view over the Boat Quay. The fit out of the rooms is superb and styling is very nice. Seems to me the styling of the rooms is a little more in keeping with the colonial/heritage nature of the hotel as compared to the lobby, which seems a bit out of kilter with the colonial/heritage nature of the hotel – a bit more modern when a heritage/colonial approach would have suited more.

The view from the room and the balcony was also good.

Breakfast was included in our rate and was very good as well.

We used the pool and gym, both excellent, and the pool with a great view of the Boat Quay.

We think the heritage nature of the building coupled with the location (particularly if in town for business which we were not) is what sets the hotel apart from many others. It also seemed to be pretty good value.

A really good hotel, just the one annoyance at check in.

Would we return. Yes. Might stay somewhere else for a change, but not because the hotel was a problem.

• Liked — Quality of rooms and location
  • Disliked — Check in
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2008

5 years ago I came here with my mother, and we stayed in a suite. We had an amazing visit, and I was convinced this was the best hotel in Singapore, and a welcome respite from generic hotels elsewhere in the city. I was thus excited to make a return visit during my most recent stay in the city. I was disheartened by how much has changed. Now, an important caveat was that I was just coming from the Ritz, which has fantastic service (see my review there), so my expectations were high. But they should be- the Fullerton costs just as much, and claims the same level of service

From the moment the taxi pulled up the service was lacking. No porters were waiting to take my things from the taxi, no one helped me with my bags until I was already inside. Indeed the entire visit the doormen ad porters were conspicuously absent or unhelpful. Very bad first impression.

The lobby is grand, but so overrun with shops and restaurants, you cannot find the check-in desk. My room was not ready, and the upgrade to a club room cost $130! The upgrade at the Ritz was $100, and the club there was much better.

My room was TINY- I mean ridiculous tiny. It had a balcony, which sounded nice to begin with, but once I was there was totally pointless. there was no where to sit, a pressurized door that snapped closed behind you and I could barely open, and a balcony railing (concrete and solid) that was so high it effectively blocked your view of the river from the room. I have NO idea why they don't put tables and chairs out there so you could at least enjoy it. As it is, I could only see the river standing up at the edge. Now the view of the river is one of the great things this hotel has to offer- you think they would take advantage of it.

The air conditioner was extraordinarily loud. When I asked for another room, i was told that that was normal, and that an upgrade (which was the only option) would cost money. It was only when I expressed a desire to check out early that suddenly a complimentary upgrade was available. Compare this to a similar experience with the Ritz where it was offered without me asking, and the staff was especially apologetic. The room I received was bigger, with a glorious river view, but the room itself was just average. Nothing special, what I would expect from a 4-star generic property.

A hotel like the Fullerton should take advantage of its unique building to provide unique facilities and service. I was less than impressed. Nothing stood out, all in all it was a generic 4-star hotel on the inside.

The room service food was extremely limited in choice and overly expensive for what it was. The bed was very hard and uncomfortable, although they were forthcoming with additional pillows when asked.

The housekeeping was good, although lacking in the personal touches of the Ritz. The internet was idiotically expensive- $30 SGD a night. Most hotels of this caliber in Asia have it for free. Club food was limited, especially considering the cost. They did have wireless though, which was nice, as most hotels in Singapore don't have it in guest rooms, only in common areas.

The front desk and concierge would often fail to even answer the phone, or would take up to 2 minutes of ringing to do so. Inexcusable.

Hands down the highlight was the view of the river, but I would be wary as the views on the other side stare straight into offices. Be sure to ask for a river view.

A hotel that started out well, but unfortunately now seems to be going through the motions. Sad.

• Liked — the pool is amazing- best in Singapore. The building is beautiful. Location great
  • Disliked — sub-standard service and average rooms
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank joycehamilla
Adelaide
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2008

I've stayed at the Fullerton a few times over the past year in different room types. There is no doubt the Fullerton is a grand hotel with all the grace and amenities you'd expect from a top notch 5 star international hotel. The staff are formal without being stuffy and everything appears to run very professionally. The hotel also has a superb location right on the Singapore river, in the middle of downtown, with the Boat Quay and Clark Quay strips literally minutes away by foot, and the Colonial District and the Esplanade complex also directly across the river via a small 19th century footbridge. On my most recent visit I tried one of the base grade courtyard rooms for the first time - keep in mind even these base grade rooms can come in at the better part of US$500 a night including breakfast. The room was furnished to the same standard as all the other rooms I've had there and have almost all of the same amenities - but no i-pod docking station for example. As the name suggests these rooms look into the hotel's huge internal glass roofed atrium. I was on the second to top floor of the hotel so very close to the roof and I found this let in plenty of natural light notwithstanding the internal view but I dont know how well this would work if you were on one of the floors nearer the ground floor. What I did notice was that this room grade is smaller than the others and I know you can get much larger rooms in other 5 star hotels in Singapore with an outside view for less. With 2 people and their luggage in the room there is still room to swing a cat - but only just. The other thing I noticed is that in the afternoons there is a pianist playing in the lobby which is great - except that the music is very audible in the room which wasn't great when you have jet lag and want to rest during the day. All up, still a real institution of a hotel but in my opinion the courtyard rooms do not offer good value for money.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank horhay
Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2008

I stayed two weeks at the Fullerton for business and give it overall high ranks. First, the location is excellent, in the central business district and a within a block of the subway system. Second, the service is excellent, with prompt responses to all needs. Staff is very friendly. I had a basic entry-level room facing the inside atrium. Its pretty quiet unless there is a reception in the atrium then it can get a bit noisy, but that was for only one of the nights, so really cannot complain. Only other drawback for the room is that you can't tell what kind of weather to prepare for (i.e. rain, sun etc.).

The only drawback with the room is that the hotel is starting to show its age with some of the fixtures. I noticed plug-ins/receptacles were starting to come loose and one of the telephone jacks was broken. These are minor issues and are the only real area of criticism. Rooms, common areas and facilities are all very clean.

In terms of amenities, room service and restaurants are all very good. The pool is really nice, with an impressive view day or night. Its a full 25 meters and is open at 6.00 AM until 11 PM. I went almost every day before sunrise and often had only one other person in the pool. The spa is also very nice, although quite expensive, but again the atmosphere and professionalism are top notch.

Overall a great location, (quiet area, but only 4 stops away from Orchard Road Station, so its good for business and shopping), great staff and good food. It is by no means cheap, but seems to provide pretty good value for the money.

• Liked — Location, historic structure, clean
  • Disliked — Starting to show age in some of the fixtures
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business