“Not quite so 'Grand'”

Grand Park City Hall
Ranked #68 of 319 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 5 October 2012

Can't quite put my finger on it but there is something missing to make this a five star hotel..... I've read all the glowing reviews but just cannot agree. I travel extensively on business in Asia and have stayed at many hotels that are genuine five star and draw my comparisons from that.

Hotel is on a busy side street which is a little off putting , but once inside the lobby is refreshingly airy and spacious.

Check in was slick and efficient

Room on 8th floor was small but functional and in need of some refurbishment. Air-conditioning was very weak and the room constantly had a musty smell.

A word of caution drink prices are very high , not just in the hotel but throughout the island, glass of wine and a glass of lime juice around SD$28.

Pool area whilst small is a nice place to relax,when we visited we were the only people their.

Staff are very courteous and most helpful, flagging down taxis , offering advice on good places to visit and the best ways to get their.

All in all its an ok place, maybe I am to used to the ultra slick hotels in Malaysia and Japan.

2  Thank AltyDave
GPCHExecutiveOffice, General Manager at Grand Park City Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

First and foremost, thank you for selecting Grand Park City Hall as your preferred choice of stay during your recent visit to Singapore.

I am disappointed to learn that we did not meet with your expectation thoroughly. I have taken immediate remedial action to ensure that the room is up to standard. I will also review our beverage prices and ensure that we are competitive.

Nevertheless, my team and I look forward to welcoming you back again whenever you are in Singapore.

Adrian Chung

Write a ReviewReviews (2,592)

Reviewed 4 October 2012

Very helpful. Staff go out of their way to help and always willing to recommend places to visit eat . All the places recommended were excellent .Tour pickups from the hotel too was very convenient .
The hospitality Room concept is something the Aussie hotels/motels can learn from the grand park city hall. You can check out- , go on a day tour , come back and use the hospitality room for 30 minutes to shower, changer and off you go. - very good service

Room Tip: Ask for the Crystal Club for free wi fi

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for selecting Grand Park City Hall as your preferred choice of stay during your recent visit to Singapore.

I am pleased to learn of your enjoyable stay and that we met your expectations with our facilities, especially the Hospitality Room, and services rendered by our staff members. I am encouraged by your compliments and I’m sure my staff will continue to strive for excellent service to our guests.

It is our pleasure to be able to serve you and certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Grand Park City Hall.

Reviewed 4 October 2012

My partner and I stayed here in September 2012. Although it is not slick and overly modern, it has charm and the ambience of the foyer/bar/restaurant area is rather lovely. A good place to sit at the end of a busy day's sightseeing...to just watch. We made use of the Crystal Club and it was well worth it. You then have the choice of breakfast in the club lounge or downstairs. An exceellent breahfast either way. Pre-dinner nibbles and drinks were often enough for "dinner" as we'd had a big breakfast and lunch. The restaurarnt too is very good. 20% off if you are a Club member. The room was comfortable and the shower good.

The staff is what makes this place, however. All were very helpful, front desk, club staff, doormen and concierge. Thanks particularly to Jeanie and Ivy who helped with some disability needs. No trouble. We would certainly stay here again. We were made to feel at home.

Room Tip: We had room 1054 - a few doors down from the Club lounge.
1  Thank Judy M

Dear Valued Guest,

I am pleased to learn that you had a pleasant stay and had also enjoyed the services and facilities of our Crystal Club. I am also encouraged by your kind words on the services provided by our staff members especially, Jeanie and Ivy, and will passed your compliments to them. I’m sure they will continue to strive for service excellence.

It is our pleasure to be able to serve you and certainly look forward to welcoming you back again to your ‘home’ in Singapore.

Reviewed 2 October 2012

We have stayed at this hotel in the past and decided to stay here again this year. We were a group of 10 and booked 5 superior rooms. The superior rooms are comfortable and clean. The bathroom is a little small, with the shower over the bathtub, but we didn't find this to be a problem. If you prefer a separate, walk-in shower then the deluxe room is for you.

The best thing about this hotel is the location. It is a few minutes walk to the City Hall MRT station and from here you can get to pretty much anywhere you want to go - Marina Bay Sands, Orchard Rd etc. At the station you can walk along the underground City Link Mall. This mall connects the station with Marina Square Shopping Centre and Suntec City Shopping Centre to name a few. The mall is lined with shops and cafes. It's a great way to walk to these places and avoid the heat or rain. From the hotel, Raffles City Shopping Centre is just around the corner, Funan Mall is across the road and it's about a 10 min walk to Clarke Quay.

The staff at the hotel really looked after us. A special thank you to Leonard Wong, Guest Services Manager who went out of his way for us during our stay, including booking a van for us to get our group to Sentosa and a mini bus to get us and all our luggage to the airport. On a number of occasions we had the buffet dinner at their Indulge at Park Restaurant after a long day out. The food was excellent.

We'll be staying here again on our next visit to Singapore. Terrific.

Room Tip: Bathrooms in superior rooms a little small, with shower over bathtub. If you want separate walk-in s...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank isasam_17
GPCHExecutiveOffice, General Manager at Grand Park City Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

I am pleased to learn that you had an enjoyable stay with your family in July. I am glad that you’d enjoyed the services rendered by our staff especially Leonard Wong, as well as the meals served in our restaurants. We are encouraged by your kind words and will continue to strive for excellent service to our guests.

It is our pleasure to be able to serve you and certainly look forward to welcoming you and your family back again.

Reviewed 29 September 2012

This hotel has a lot of good things going for it but on our recent stay we had a few issues;
1. Check in was very slow (20mins)
2. When we first arrived to our room there was no power - this was fixed very quickly, our room had a very musty smell we thought it would go away but it stayed, safe was not working this was replaced the next day
3. The shower leaked through the tiles and a large amount of water was left on the floor
4. Room was turned down 3 out of 6 nights ????
5. We did stay in the Club rooms and all staff in the Crystal Club were friendly and very helpful
We stayed at this hotel for the close proximity to the F1.
While there is better hotels in Singapore, I would stay at this hotel again as the staff are welcoming and it is in a good location.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Terro75

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. It certainly has been a hectic weekend of F1 for us and I am truly sorry to read your comments regarding your experience of the slow check-in service. With regards to the musty smell and shower leak, I have addressed this with my Chief Engineer who will take immediate corrective measures to address the faults.

Nevertheless, I am glad that you had enjoyed the services provided by our friendly staff. My colleagues and I look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 26 September 2012

What a perfect location. We booked this hotel for attending the Singapore Grand Prix, and also for a special birthday. The Hotel put us on a higher floor (7th) and we had a corner room. From our room we could see the Gate 4 entrance to the Grand Prix circuit - perfect! It was a short stroll to the City Hall MRT which gave walking access to Gate 3 and Gate 7.

In general the staff were excellent throughout the Hotel, although the breakfast staff on the weekend let the side down a little. They seemed to be young staff who were unsure of the system - we had to ask for coffee or tea, whereas the staff during week days were very efficient. The breakfast buffet was lovely, and there was lots of it! There was fresh fruit, your choice of breads, a salad bar, selection of cold meats, a chef cooking your choice of omlette, american pancakes, waffles, a lovely range of asian food and lots more - you could definitely have a great breakfast and skip lunch. We did not eat any other meals in the Hotel so cannot comment.

The bathroom in our room was perhaps a little "tired" (the grouting looked a little old) but on the whole it was clean, comfortable and very relaxing. The aircon in the room was actually very quiet and did not disturb our sleep at all.

The Hotel were kind enough to extend our stay in the room past the normal check out time as we had an evening flight - this was very much appreciated as we spent the morning at the Botanical Gardens and needed to get ready for our flight.

I would highly recommend this Hotel, and I would definitely stay here again on any trip to Singapore. It is a short walk (5 mins) to the City Hall MRT, a short stroll (10 mins) to Clarke Quay and Boat Quay, a short stroll (5 mins) to Chijmes, and you can walk in the subterranean CityLink to Raffles and many other hotels, Marina Square Mall etc.

This Hotel did not disappoint in any way during our special birthday stay.

Room Tip: A room on a higher floor is a good idea. We had room 730 which was a corner room. There was very l...
1  Thank BessT641
GPCHExecutiveOffice, General Manager at Grand Park City Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Please accept my apology for the inconsistent service rendered during breakfast. I have since addressed this issue to my food & beverage manager to take immediate remedial action and ensure that quality service is rendered consistently to guests at all times. I have also addressed with my Chief Engineer to immediately rectify the grouting.

Nevertheless, I am glad that you had enjoyed the services provided by our other staff members as well as the wonderful breakfast spread. I hope to have the pleasure of serving you again at the next Singapore Grand Prix and anytime when you are in Singapore.

Reviewed 17 September 2012

Having stayed in many hotels in Singapore previously, my favourite being out of action, I was concerned that this hotel would feel more down market and tired. I'm pleased to say it was very good and surpassed my expectations. The rooms were of a very good size and altough not oppulent, they were more than adequate and in keeping with the hotels 4star rating. Beds were comfortable, bathroom was clean and had plenty of room, and the front office/reception area felt good and worked very well. Food in the restaurant was of a very good standard, not only for breakfast but at the seafood buffet we had there also. The concierge and porters were very helpful, obliging with information and care of our luggage left under their watchful eye. The location makes it a very attractive propostion for travellers, close to many fine shopping opportunities and with the Hop on Hop off bus just a short stroll away, for those not wishing to or able to explore on foot. If you're looking for a good value 4 star hotel, well located and with all the services and facilities you'd expect of this standard in Singapore, the Grand Park City Hall won't disappoint.

Room Tip: The hotel layout tends to become a bit like a rabbits warren through no fault of the hotel, other th...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank drDro
GPCHExecutiveOffice, General Manager at Grand Park City Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

It is very pleasing to learn that you had enjoyed your stay with us. I am pleased that my staff members had rendered their best service in making your stay comfortable.

We look forward to welcoming you back again whenever you are in Singapore.