“Watch the bar bill” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #48 of 308 Hotels in Singapore
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Watch the bar bill”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

This is a great hotel, with everything you need, had 2 nights here prior to a cruise. It's well positioned in city centre near just about everything, 200 yds from City Hall metro station which is so cheap and east to use, squash in time at rush hour. Pool area is good on 3rd floor, entertainment in bar areas in the evenings but beware of bar prices, Singapore is very expensive but I've never paid so much for a beer, that's with the 20% resident discount. Not the place for a stag party. Breakfast good, buffet style but with plenty of attention from the waitresses. Can't comment on the restaurant as not used. The concierges are extremely helpful and knowledgeable . Had a superior room which was excellent, even had an iron.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GPCHExecutiveOffice, Front Office Manager at Grand Park City Hall, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear paul m, thank you for your review of our property. We are all so pleased you enjoyed the experience of staying with us. I am so happy to hear of the prompt and friendly service received by all the team members you came in contact with. I am also glad you enjoy our bar and its entertainment and, while I do agree with you about the price of alcohol in Singapore, I can assure you that we always try to keep our prices competitive for the enjoyment of all our guests.
We hope to welcome you back soon!
Matthieu - Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Kuala Selangor, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

We were greeted by very professional and friendly staff when we checked in. Special thanks to Bryan for upgrading the room for us.
The hotel atmosphere was cozy with very nice Christmas deco.
The hotel location was really good as most of the major attractions like Orchard Road,Marina Bay,
Sentosa island were close by.
We had a great time.
We will definitely want to come back again,

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Wei B, Thank you so much for providing us with such great comments; it certainly means a lot to have that recommendation from you and we appreciate it very much. I will be more than happy to pass on your positive comments to Bryan and the rest of the team members who all work very hard to ensure every guest has a memorable experience with us.
It was great to have you stay with us and hope to see you again in the future.
Perth Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

I was supposed to stay in another hotel (in Little India) for the duration of my Singapore break but due to the excess noise, I just had to move! So, I found a deal at the Grand Park City Hall in a deluxe room.

Hotel is beautiful, room was large, bed comfy & huge! Bathroom was decent sized & had an obstructed view of Fort Canning. Unfortunately, there were stains on the pillow & suites and quite a bit of mold on the grout in the bathrooms

It was full the first night I was there and unfortunately, I was placed in a room right near the elevators so people would hang around outside my door having loud conversations. So, i hardly got any sleep on this night as the noisy people coming & going at all hours, talking loudly kept waking me.

I asked for another room but was told it was full this night but would be able to move rooms for the next night.

The next day, a cruise ship full of the noisy drunk tourists stayed checked in, filling the floor I was on and promptly started with drunken parties in their rooms at 10.30pm. They were NOT young people either, they were over 50 and were running up & down the corridors, yelling, standing outside my room and just being idiots. I was right smack in the middle of it as they had adjoining rooms on each side of me so would use the door of my room as their meeting point.

So, grumpy & tired, I went downstairs to beg to be moved rooms at 11pm. Joey (nice young guy at check-in) found me a room, told me to pack my stuff and he'd send someone up to move my bags asap.

The nice older guy helping me move my bags was shocked at the noise coming from the rooms near me and said it was disrespectful and way too loud so he would report them. The hotel has a nice large lounge downstairs so we said they should be down there making noise as you dont carry on like this in your room, especially at this time of night.

We went into the elevator where we encountered a group of drunken Aussies who were on a rugby trip who (quote) "were ready to cause trouble & drink" which made me embarassed, made the staff member shake his head in disgust and prompted me to tell the gentleman helping me move my bags that "I dont drink and even at the age of 18, I would never be like that" and made us discuss you dont come to a nice hotel to be disrespectful & cause trouble.

We went all the way to the club room where I was given an upgrade to a gorgeous and (most importantly) quiet and utterly beautiful Peranakan Suite. I was so overwhelmed by being given this upgrade, I suddenly became wide awake. I was told "you will sleep in here. No-one would dare make noise up here!" and yes, that was very true.

I stayed in my room until it was time for checkout (as you would!!)

Staff is wonderful, hotel is lovely. A hot spot though for tourists who think they can be as rude to staff and other patrons as they want which is not right.

If it wasnt for the ridiculous noise of other patrons, I would've happily given this hotel 5/5!

Afternote
The next day, there I saw the group of the Aussie Rugby group walking along the streets of Singapore with beers in their hands at 9.30am!!! I hope they got arrested for street drinking, the idiots!

Room Tip: Ask to stay as far away from the elevators as possible. And get a full view of Fort Canning
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jhoppy01
Dear jhoppy01. Thank you for your review of our property, I'm certainly disappointed to hear that your experience with us was dampened by the noise pollution you had encountered. I have highlighted the scenario to our Guest Services Managers and Security personnel to ensure this sort of situation does not happen again. I will pass on all your good words to the employees and the front desk staff will be happy to hear of the excellent service you received as they do go out of their way to make sure the guests are enjoying the time with us.
Thank you again for the review and I hope to see you again soon.
Elanora, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

Just a short 2 night stay at the Grand Park City Hall yet I found it one of the more comfortable hotels I've stayed in recently, with the bonus of being just a couple of hundred metres from the quiet oasis that is Fort Canning Park.

With a main entrance tucked away on a side street the GPCH has a relaxed lobby feel, a reasonable restaurant, a convenient cafe and the usual hotel bar. The rooms are well presented without being memorable; the bed was comfortable; the gym is a little tired; breakfast was the usual hotel buffet. Wifi was quick.

But outside the door the wonders of Singapore are just a stroll away with a food court and shopping centre within 100 metres and many others within 5 minutes.

Summary - great location, good hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
GPCHExecutiveOffice, Front Office Manager at Grand Park City Hall, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear bew996, Thank you for recommending our property to the Trip Advisor community, we are very pleased that your stay was enjoyable and that both our hotel location and the service povided by our associates were up to your liking. I fully agree with you when you say that our hotel has one of the best locations, being near Fort Canning Park, Raffles City Shopping mall and many other attractions.
We look forward to seeing you soon back at our property.
Herts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

Not exactly luxurious but does a good job. Rooms are fine, bed nice and bathroom decent. Fitness centre and pool a bit disappointing. Breakfast was nice but coffee from a machine. Live singers in the bar were good fun. Conference facilities good and all staff very friendly. Great location, close to everything. Overall definitely good for a conference.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear MikeH98, Thank you for taking the time to review the property and we are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. I have taken your feedback about the gym and the pool onboard and will look at ways to improve the guest experience in those areas.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Gosford, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

We stayed here in the last week of October nice hotel rooms quite a good size we stayed in the 10th floor not much of a view from our room the bath very deep and as the shower is over the bath it is quite hard to get in and out of. Other little niggle is we had breakfast on the upper floor and we constantly had to ask for an fridge to refilled or dishes refilled as they were always empty and never apparently checked unless you asked. Taxis are very cheap in Singapore so we didn't end up using public transport and you can change your money just about everywhere as there are plenty of money changers you get a better rate than at home before you leave and at the airport. Overall it is a nice hotel in a central location rooms were very clean and not as expensive as some of the other hotels

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Virginia C
Dear Virginia C, Thank you for your review of the recent stay with us at Grand Park City Hall. I am glad that you had an overall pleasant stay and I will pass on your comments to my housekeeping team who has very high cleaning standards which you commented on.
I am disappointed to see feedback about the service standards at the Club Lounge and I would like to apologise for not being able to provide the service that you certainly deserve. The team at the Crystal Club lounge has been briefed to be more attentive and I am sure we will be able to impress you on your next visit.
Lisbon, Portugal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

My first time in Singapore took the train to the hotel reach the hotel about 1015hrs. Great reception with smiles all over quick check in and out just wonderful. The concierge team I take off my hats off excellent what a service. This young guy Mr. Joel Sta Maria for the concierge desk simply an awesome person the right person to have on the desk having conversation with his smiles of joy and laughter all around I really enjoyed myself for a day stay with grand park city hall to all the stuff u all did it well. Will be coming with my family soon till then see u guys soon.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear 1978lisa, Thank you for such kind comments in your review, I am particularly pleased to hear of the wonderful customer service received from Joel and the entire Concierge team. I will pass on your comments to them and I am sure that it will give them the willingness to keep providing all our guests with the most genuine service possible.
We truly look forward to welcoming you back soon!