We recently returned from a 5 night stay in Singapore. Usually we stayed closer to the intersection of Orchard and Scotts Road, but decided to try another location this time, and as seasoned Singapore visitors, we are glad we made this decision. This Hotel is very comfortable and is in a great location as others have said.
The staff were pleasant and helpful, from checking-in at reception to checking-out. The checking in was rather protracted - due to a booking error on our part with two rooms booked (and the wrong combination of double and king beds requested for our extended family), but we got there in the end. We requested close proximity of the rooms if possible, and the Hotel obliged with a set of rooms with an adjoining door - we couldn't have asked for better, especially with our 18 month old able to flutter between Nan's room and mum and dad. :-)
We were in the std Premier Rooms. They are clean and well appointed. Nice LCD panel with external inputs all ready for you to plug your media device into and play through the panel. (PC VGA, S-Video and composite video inputs, and L/R audio inputs). Also a DVD player with USB input for DivX is in place ready to go as well.
The bathroom is well sized with a nice bath/shower combination. Good sized mirror which never seemed to steam up to an "unuseable" extent when in the shower - I wish other hotels could review the ventilation in this bathroom and match it in theirs!
We took the room and breakfast package, and in all honesty the buffet breakfast is fairly standard for Singapore in terms of choice (mixture of Asian and European hot and cold choices), but it ALWAYS seemed to be very fresh no matter what time you arrived to eat, even down to the freshly squeezed orange juice. Jerie and her team put on a nice spread every morning and it kept us going through the day. A little play area for the kids is in the corner of the restaurant and ALL the staff loved the kids that were there, our youngster being no exception.
We had room service two nights during our stay - due to arrival back late from tours and we couldn't be bothered to wander into the neighbouring cafes and restaurants - of which there are plenty. Good choice of room service up to 11pm, and after this there is still a reasonable selection of hot and cold food if you have the munchies at some crazy hour. And again, the food arrived hot, and it was full of flavour and very, very fresh. Room service is not cheap, but then you are paying for the convenience.
We have read a couple of reports of rudness of staff - we never experienced this, but perhaps after struggling to get our message across once or twice, we can understand that this may lead to an element of frustration between the various parties. I'm not going to suggest that other Trip Advisor contributors have not had a bad experience - only that we struggled a few times but got through it... without walking away feeling that anybody was being rude or impolite.
We didn't get to the pool or other hotel facilities, but they appear to be standard, down to the mini-bars, coffee and tea making facilities and safes etc in each room.
My only criticism is that for internet access, you have to include it in your booking at an additional S$25/day (or it will be included in your room rate if you are taking an Exec room package). It's not cheap and you'd be better looking at other unsecured WiFi hotspots in Singapore if you cannot purchase a data-pack from your local carrier before you visit Singapore (e.g. McDonalds cafes) . The locals almost have WiFi coverage everywhere and it is unsecured, but as I understand it, to be able to use it you have to have a valid and current SIngapore Carrier mobile number.
This minor internet access issue aside, this is a wonderful Hotel in a great location, and we'll be forgoing our previous regular "Royal" Scotts Rd hotel from now on to stay here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Conveniently located in the heart of Singapore's well-known shopping boulevard, Orchard Road, Holiday Inn(R) Singapore Orchard City Centre is just minutes away from the Central Business District, the Somerset and Dhoby Ghaut Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) stations as well as the Central Business District and medical centres including the Paragon Medical Singapore and Mount Elizabeth Medical Centre. Explore the city at ease with popular cultural districts such as Bugis, Chinatown and Little India, and attractions like the Singapore Flyer and Gardens by the Bay all located within close proximity, making us an ideal spot for staycation. Changi Airport is a short 25-minute drive away. The hotel boasts 324 well-appointed guestrooms, 11 state-of-the-art function rooms, a collection of two restaurants and a bar - Tandoor, featuring authentic North Indian cuisine, Window on the Park showcasing Asian and local delights, and Lobby Lounge & Bar which offers the perfect venue to unwind after a business meeting. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Southall Travel, Agoda, Odigeo, Ctrip TA, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Hotel.de, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Holiday Inn Singapore Orchard City Centre reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Singapore Orchard City Centre Hotel Singapore
- Holiday Inn Park View Singapore
- Singapore Holiday Inn