“Just above average HI property in a convenient location”

Holiday Inn Singapore Orchard City Centre
Ranked #28 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Cairo, Egypt
“Just above average HI property in a convenient location”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Compared to other Holiday Inn properties, I would say this one is very decent.
- The hotel is very modern and looks quite new.
- Location is very convenient with a 5-min walk to Orchard Road and another 5-min to the nearest metro station.
- Breakfast was very good with a lot of varieties.
- Informed them we were on our honeymoon and they made some room preparations (Small cake, fruits and a juice bottle) which was a very nice gesture.
- They have a decent pool and a Gym on roof.

Nevertheless I had the following issues:
- I didn't get the full IHG benefits (Upgrade, late checkout) although being a Platinum member.
- The room detergent used had a weird smell, we noticed that every time we came into the room.
- In room dining was not good compared to restaurant dinning.

I would stay there again considering it has a very good value/money compared to other hotels.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the park if you want something quite.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (627)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Noosa, Australia
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We (2 adults and 2 kids (11&13) stayed in this property for 4 nights in June, 2014. we requested and were given 2 interconnecting rooms - 1 with twin and the other with King. The rooms are of a good 4 star standard, with great beds and various pillows. Bathrooms are fine - even though I don't like showers in baths.

Buffet Breakfast was included and was as you would expect of a good standard tip: as we stayed on a Saturday night on their weekend package the low weekend rate - incl B/Fast also applied over the Monday and Tuesday nights (saving alot).

The Pool itself is great (approx 20M x 7m and laned) - however the surrounding need a fair bit of work, more 3 star than 4 star.

Staff are friendly.

This hotels is 100m to Orchid Road and alot of restaurants and bars, however we didn't come to Singapore to shop (expensive). It's a $6 cab ride to Clarke's Quay, $12 cab to Sentosa and $12 cab to Marina Bay (Gardens by the Bay - A Must visit - go at 4pm do the pods then have dinner and watch the light show at 7.45pm).

I am not sure what's the best location in Singapore as I am note sure you can answer this as Singapore's attractions are quite spreadout...for us it was good value and met our needs well.

Room Tip: Book direct with hotel via website as our Travel Agent in Australia (Perfect Wave) quoted us $1400 m...
2 Thank deansmallman911
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We stayed for 3 nights with my wife and 1 & 1/2 year old daughter (25June-28June). The rooms are of a decent size & kept well. We'd taken the a king size bed and it was very comfortable especially after those long walks on Orchard Road. We opted for the buffet breakfast so that we didn't have to go hunting for breakfast every morning with the little one in tow, not knowing what she'd decide to eat or not. The buffet in the hotel was decent. Since my daughter's a fussy eater and this was her first visit outside her country, she'd closed up more on what she frugally ate. One day she'd enjoy the omelette but the other day she'd refuse to eat a morsel! The lady in charge one of those days was helpful to pack her breakfast so that she could have it at her own time later, but the very next day another man in charge made it seem like a big problem when we requested for her breakfast to be packed!!! Anyways talked to the concerned people and they were prompt in sorting it out. The other thing I found odd was the fact that my in-laws staying on the 3rd floor had a bathroom with a tub and weighing scale in it. Whereas mine on the 5th floor had neither! Naturally the kid was upset about her baths. These things could have been pointed at the reception while they were allocating us the rooms. The plus point of the hotel is the location near some good eateries that you can try out just outside the hotel. Orchard road is 5 mins of walking distance.

1 Thank pranaymangrati
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Singapore Orchard City Centre, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear pranaymangrati,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your comments regarding our property during your recent stay. I am glad to hear that our location worked for your needs and that you enjoyed our food selection. On the other hand, I am sorry for any inconvenience the level of service you received may have caused you and your family. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to the area.

Best Regards,

John O
Case Manager
IHGCare
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We stayed here for six nights with our six year old grandson. We had booked because it was one of the few hotels that had two double beds rooms however when we arrived we were told that this layout was not available but we could have a king bed room with a rollaway bed for no extra charge - would have been quite an argument from me if they had tried to charge extra! The rook was a bit tight with this extra bed but was comfortable and clean. Bathroom was good and normal Holiday Inn amenities were all provided. There was no hairdryer in the room when we arrived but this was quickly attended to by housekeeping. As a priority Rewards gold member we received free wifi access and this was a very good service. The pool on the room was excellent and according to our grandson was the best part about the hotel. Staff were very friendly. Only negative was a S$16 cost plus tax and service charge for a glass of wine. Location was excellent being only a couple of minutes walk to a number of restaurants, Orchard Road and Somerset MRT. Would stay here again next time we are in Singapore

Room Tip: 7th and 8th floor have better views and pool is on the 8th floor
1 Thank David S
Sydney
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I'm Australian and in my mid 20s. I travelled with my boyfriend and we were looking to enjoy the food, city sites including Gardens by the Bay and the Jurong bird park on our second trip to Singapore.

I chose the Holiday Inn Orchard City because I wanted a comfortable stay in a modern and clean facility, and a convenient location. I was very happy with my choice.

We had no problem getting a taxi from Changi airport (about SGD20), and the driver was familiar with the hotel. The trip in was about 20 minutes and we were greeted by the friendly doormen and front desk.

Check-in was simple and quick. My boyfriend and I exchanged worried looks as we heard loud music from the front desk coming from their lounge, and young children running around. But we were shortly given our room keys, and entered a clean, modern room tastefully decorated and making good use of space. It was a large rectangular room with the beds on one wall (we had a twin room), and desk, tv, and luggage area on the other. The bathroom was also modern and clean, and had generous complimentary bath products. There were lots of towels and a hair dryer in the hall cupboard, along with robes and slippers. There were also complimentary water bottles (notably, it is safe to drink tap water in Singapore).

The room was quiet enough, with the occasional sound of children running up the hallways. However it quietened down at night time, and with ear plugs (my boyfriend has always been a difficult sleeper) we slept well. There was also a selection of firm and soft pillows on the bed which I felt was very thoughtful.

While at the hotel, we made use of the pool and jacuzzi on the roof. We went everyday, and it was never too crowded. It was very nice to relax there in between our eating and site seeing, or to end the day as it didn't close till 11pm. The jacuzzi needs abit of attention though, it smelt like it needed more chlorine or cleaning, and some of the head rests were mouldy.

I enjoyed staying centrally and being able to step out from the retreat of my hotel, right into the action of Singapore with its food and shopping. I loved being able to just walk down the road and find heaps of eating options for breakfast and snacking, and its an easy 5min walk to a big train station. I didn't use the train as I found taxis very affordable, and nowhere I wanted to go was more than 20mins away by taxi (Jurong Bird Park was 20mins away, Gardens By the Bay was no more than 10mins).

I would recommend the Holiday Inn Orchard City to friends because of its great location, and its clean, modern rooms which offer a comfortable place to relax at the end of the day.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Annarion
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We received an upgrade to the sub-suite. It had a little extra room. We were also given a cot for my baby and a little baby goody bag which included shampoos, creams etc for the baby which was a nice touch. My daughter wakes up quite early so it was nice we were on the same floor as the pool! We were able to go out there and chill. She loved swimming in the baby pool too! Service was good. Rooms were good. Nothing to complain about really. My parents and sisters stayed in adjoining rooms on the lower floor.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Dana Point, California, United States
Reviewed 30 June 2014

On first look the hotel is a bit dated, but it's really fine, quiet, luxuriously furnished, a fine bed and bath facilities. Room service was prompt and the food excellent. Check-in was a bit chaotic, but this is because I drew the newest management trainee. Once the manager got involved she really went the extra mile to be sure I was comfortable and happy with my room. Speaking of which - Park View means a view of the park across six lanes of traffic, but the room is surprisingly quiet and peaceful. Convenient to the Orchard Road activity and shopping for after hours, and central for business purposes. Likely the best location for the price in Singapore. I'll be back.

Room Tip: Some rooms are freshly decorated, some a bit dated. Ask for the newer ones...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business