All reviewskeong saik roadoutram parkhindu templesingle roomrooms are smallwet roomshop houseschinatown areacouple of nightsenjoyed my stayfantastic locationmrt stationhawkersmartphonemidnightminibaraustralia
Reviewed 6 May 2013

The hotel is located right in the middle of the busy and buzzing Keong Saik road, surrounded by trendy restaurants and bars. This makes the sleeping hard without ear plugs on a weekend! The rooms are small, yes ... But that's pretty standard in boutique hotels in former shop houses. The 1929 is great value for money, the rooms are clean and the staff friendly, breakfast pretty good and the wifi is free. It's perfect for a quick stop over. Much like the other two Unlisted Collection hotel, is a good find.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
UnlistedCollection, Manager at Hotel 1929, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2013

Dear TheDivingFoodie,

Warm greetings from Hotel 1929!
Thank you for your kind compliments.

It’s great to hear that you have stayed in all our Singapore hotels, and that you enjoyed yourself thoroughly in all of them.

With so many great restaurants and bars just a stone’s throw from the hotel, the streets can be bustling with life in the evenings. Should there be availability, we would be happy to offer and assist with a room move to a quieter room in the back of the hotel.

We hope to welcome you back when you next return to Singapore!
In the meantime, safe travels!

Reviewed 26 April 2013

The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful in a situation where a quick response was required. Although the rooms were a little small, they were clean and had everything that I required for an overnight stay and more importantly, the excellent, personalised service means that Hotel 1929 would be my first choice on my next trip to Singapore.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
UnlistedCollection, Manager at Hotel 1929, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2013

Dear Fiona_Stuart,

Warm greetings from Hotel 1929!
Thank you for the kind compliments.

We are extremely pleased to hear that we were able to provide for all your needs during your short stay in Singapore. We certainly look forward to having you with us again!

Reviewed 18 April 2013

This little hotel is well located, near to Chinatown with night clubs close enough by to access on foot but not so close as to impact on a good night's sleep.

The drawcard with this hotel is the funky retro theme of the place, that will probably appeal more to younger travelers than older ones.

The room was beautifullly presented as per the photos on the web, but as might be expected in Singapore, space was at a premium. The room I booked was a single as I was travelling alone. The glass bathroom was almost designed as centrepiece of the room and I would imagine (and hope) that bathrooms in twin and double rooms offer somewhat more privacy.

The original window slats are still on the windows, but touch with caution as they seem rather fragile.

The Hindu temple opposite woke me up fairly early with rather boisterous music but I understand that my visit overlapped with the Deepavali festival, so that's just how it goes. I doubt it would regularly be an issue.

The hotel staff were some of the friendliest and most helpful Singaporeans I have met, and I have several Singaporean friends!

I do think that the room rates are a little steep compared to some of the other options in the neighbourhood.

Overall, this is a well run establishment and offers something a little different and unique for a short stay.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank asia_short_tripper
UnlistedCollection, Manager at Hotel 1929, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2013

Dear asia_short_tripper,

Hellos from the Hotel 1929 team!
Thank you for your generous compliments.

Housed in a conservation building, space is indeed quite a constraint. We are glad that you had a great stay with us nonetheless, and that you enjoyed the quaintness of the hotel.

We hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 17 April 2013

Hotels in Singapore are expensive and although we knew the rooms at 1929 would be small we felt that the price reflected that. I must say our room was a little smaller than we imagined but it was only for 3 nights and with careful placing of our suitcases we coped. The bed was comfortable and the room very clean. The toilet in the shower also worked better than you might imagine too. As mentioned by other reviewers, the air-conditioning is very noisy but was definitely very efficient.
Check-in was really quick and all the staff were friendly and helpful.
Breakfast was provided and was fairly basic but did the job. The lady in charge was excellent and has a fantastic memory. She very kindly provided us with a breakfast box for our last day when we had to leave before the restaurant opened.
Loved the location of the hotel, plenty of restaurants to walk to and near the transport system.
The patio area is pleasantly furnished but noisy( from the a/c unit I think). Try the complimentary ice cream...I recommend the jack-fruit variety.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear ju-ju60,

Warm greetings from Hotel 1929!
Thank you for your wonderful feedback.

We are glad to hear that we were able to provide for all your needs during your time in Singapore.
We hope that we will be able to be of service to you again soon!

Until then, safe travels!

Reviewed 17 April 2013

Stayed here for two nights at a special rate they were offering while the hotel undergoes renovation.

The hotel is charming, and the staff courteous, always greeting me by name when I arrived back; and were gracious enough to allow me to shower ahead of my evening flight. Yes the room was small, but the space is used well, bedding is comfortable, and the wet room concept and sharing of shower/toilet, wasn't a problem. No problems with noisy a/c when I was there.

Location if good with two MRT stations within walking distance, as well as the attractions and restaurants of ChinaTown.

I can't comment on breakfast as it was not being offered during the renovation.

If you hate nondescript skyscraper hotels, and prefer to stay somewhere with character in Sinagpore at a reasonable price, then I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms on the steeet side may be prone to noise from the adjacent Hindu temple, but they have better views.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Cambus36
UnlistedCollection, Manager at Hotel 1929, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2013

Dear Cambus36,

Warm greetings from the team at Hotel 1929!
Thank you for your generous recommendation.

We are truly pleased to hear that you had a fantastic stay with us, and that the team were ever welcoming and were always on-hand to help you. We look forward to having you with us again!

Until then, take care and safe travels!