“Cute & compact”
Review of Hotel 1929

Hotel 1929
Ranked #129 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 19 July 2013

My husband and I stayed here for just 2nights only mid June and really liked the hotel. I had originally booked a Superior Double (1 Queen Bed) room (approx. 16 sq mtrs) but after my husband read some of the Tripadvisor reviews decided we should upgrade to the Deluxe room instead (approx 20 sq mtrs). This we were grateful for. Although, it is hard to imagine the Superior being even smaller than this! I have noted a lot of comments re where to put your suitcase but I found that under our bed there was plenty of space to tuck them under and our cases were relatively large ones!. (So hope this helps.) I do have to say that the room was lovely, modern, fresh and quite cute. I did however gasp in horror initially as...no view / windows! (Ok, later I discovered there was a couple of little ones up at ceiling height to let in some light) but other than that, I could not have stayed for longer with no outside outlook and I am NOT a claustrophobic person. Our room was on the 4th floor and the lift though fairly small and slow, never took too long to go up and down. We found the staff very friendly and efficient and loved the complimentary cold drinks and mini biscuits in reception. Plenty of bottled water on offer too in the room. Yes, the toilet and shower is is a 'wet room' concept but I was actually quite impressed with the functionality of the concept. No issues there. True, visiting the toilet or showering you do feel a little exposed but there is privacy, just choose who you share your room with carefully! As breakfast was included in the rate, we had this both mornings. Yes, not the most exciting selection but we found it quite satisfactory, filling and no complaints. You get a cooked option as well as a continental selection on top of this. Location was great as pretty much half way between two metro stations and only a short walk to each. The street and hotel is lovely and quaint and adds to the charm of the stay, one of the main reasons I chose this property. I found the weather extremely humid so anywhere in the hotel either in or out of our room a bit unbearable. Thank goodness for the air con! All in all, a pleasant stay and I would definitely return - except ask for a room with an outlook / windows next time!

Room Tip: Would recommend paying for a deluxe room for that bit of extra space. Would ask if the room has an...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PrettyIsParamount
UnlistedCollection, Manager at Hotel 1929, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2013

Dear PrettyIsParamount,

Warm hellos from Hotel 1929!
Thank you for your splendid review.

We are pleased that you loved the hotel’s central location, and that you were impressed with the team’s unwavering friendly service.

Housed in a conservation building, we recognize that some of our rooms may be rather compact. As such, we configured the rooms with features like our elevated beds to best fit the needs of the modern traveller. All our rooms are furnished with windows; some of our rooms on the fourth floor are fitted with skylight windows. To experience the full view of bustling Keong Siak Road, we would suggest that you request for a room on the lower floors for your next stay.

Thank you once again, and we look forward to your return!

Reviewed 9 July 2013

Location is rather good, China town is interesting place in Singapore. And the building is also historical in colonial style. But rooms are extreamly small. I did not have place to put my suitcase. 95% of the room space took bed. The shower is right on the top of water closet, so it was had to take a shower as well. The furniture and windows are dated. The hotel itself is clean, and stuff is very friendly and helpful.
In the early morning I was woke up by bell in Induist church which is right in front of. The bell was ringing several hours, no chance to sleep. The good thing I have visited Induist church for the first time in my life and took participation in some rituals. I beliave that hotel is OK for some ocasions, but overpriced.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
UnlistedCollection, Manager at Hotel 1929, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2013

Dear ikolynin,

Greetings from the team at Hotel 1929!
Thank you for your valuable feedback.

Being in a conservation shophouse does have certain spatial constraints. As such, we recognize that some of our rooms can be rather compact. Perhaps the next time you are in town, we could have you try our sister hotel, New Majestic Hotel, instead. With bigger rooms and more facilities, we reckon that you might find it more to your liking.

On a brighter note, we are happy that you found the team to have been amiable and helpful throughout your stay.

We hope that when you are next in town, you will allow us another opportunity to impress you.

Reviewed 20 June 2013

We spend a weekend in Singapore for our 1st wedding anniversary, I picked this hotel because I like the look of the building. It's kind of a Shanghainese mixed European style kind of building (turns out a lot of places look like that in Singapore), and I like this name Hotel 1929 proven that it got its history.

The hotel is located at Keong Saik Street, 5mins walk to Outram Park station ( MRT / subway) and 10-15mins to China Town station (both are Purple line) . It's on the same line with Harbourfront station, which is the station for you to go to Sentosa.

There's a street restaurant "Da Pai Dong" only few steps away from the hotel. I recommend you to have breakfast there instead in the hotel (although they do have breakfast provided in the hotel). The breakfast at the hotel is disappointing, it got basic food such as cereal, fruits and bacon, beans, eggs, bread etc. but I would not recommend the breakfast there as there are other exciting food around the area.

Our room (Superior double) is located at 3rd floor, it got 1 elevator in the hotel (at least you don't have to walk up). The toilet is in the shower room (so the toilet gets wet when you shower) The bathroom is tiny, if you have a bigger body shape , I do not recommend you to book the Superior room, you won't have enough space to turn around in the shower. They use small electric water heater, so don't keep the hot water running or else you could only wash off the shampoo in cold water.

If you have large suitcase , I do not recommend Superior room as well , luckily we only had a small one (Cabin size) , otherwise we don't know where to put our stuff.

Staff there are extremely friendly , they are kind and helpful. The place is tidy and clean and stylish. Although I like the hotel but I will try other hotels next time.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
UnlistedCollection, Manager at Hotel 1929, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2013

Dear Kay6_travela,

Hellos from Hotel 1929!
Thank you for your kind feedback.

We are pleased to have had you stay with us, and are happy that you had an enjoyable stay. Being in a conservation shophouse does have its constraints; mainly that space in the rooms can be rather tight. Perhaps the next time you are in town, you may like to try our sister hotel, New Majestic Hotel, which is just on the next street. With bigger rooms and more facilities, we think that you may find the hotel more to your liking.

The team appreciates your compliments about their service commitment, and we are also glad that you enjoyed the hotel’s central location.

We hope to be of service to you again when you are back in Singapore!

Reviewed 18 June 2013

Stayed here for two nights in May. Beautifully restored building right in the middle of Chinatown.
Cool quirky room with fantastic roof terrace & outside shower/bath! Ideal base for sightseeing.

It was great to be able to sit out on our terrace & experience the sounds & smells of Chinatown both night & day!

Staff were friendly & helpful & the hotel was beautifully clean & very trendy! Real boutique hotel.

We really enjoyed staying here as it had so much character & of course history - lovely change from some of the shiny, modern sky scraper hotels.

Room Tip: Definitely go for the room with the roof terrace - amazing & good value for money!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KarenGary891
UnlistedCollection, Manager at Hotel 1929, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2013

Dear KarenGary891,

Greetings from the Hotel 1929 team!
Thank you for the fantastic review!

Housed in a conservation shophouse, the rooms do possess quite a bit of character. We are truly pleased to hear of your appreciation of the historic feel of our hotel, and that you had a blast staying in our Terrace Suite.

We look forward to welcoming you back with us again soon!

Reviewed 16 June 2013

I was attending a conference at Nanyang Technological University but I wanted to be in the city and stay a few extra days. This hotel came up with a good location and price, so I recommended it to couple of colleagues, who also stayed there. The location is perfect - close to two MRT stations (Chinatown and Outram Park) and walkable to Chinatown and Clarke Quay (also City Hall if you don't mind a longer walk). It's also right around the corner from the most popular gay bars and club. The staff are unfailingly friendly and helpful, the breakfast is very good and the rooms are well-appointed, if somewhat cramped (the only downside) - if you don't mind that, I highly recommend the place.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from Keong Saik Road - my colleague told me it gets a bit noisy at night sometim...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
UnlistedCollection, Manager at Hotel 1929, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2013

Dear Seumas66,

Warm greetings from Hotel 1929!
Thank you for your generous compliments.

We are pleased that you had a great time staying with us, and that we were able to provide for all your needs during your stay. It’s also good to hear that you enjoyed the hotel’s central location; Keong Saik is indeed brimming with life from the many exciting shops and restaurants in the neighbourhood.

Thank you for the recommendation, and we look forward to having you back with us soon!

Reviewed 5 June 2013 via mobile

I read the reviews and knew the rooms were small. But I never expected that they were going to be this small. All other reviews are absolutely correct about the rooms.

Overall, it's been a very pleasant experience. The rooms are quite clean, the breakfast has a decent spread and the service is great.

The location is excellent!! This is the best part of this hotel

You can't go wrong with this place for the price

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank DelfinAndOso
UnlistedCollection, Manager at Hotel 1929, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2013

Dear Travelling_Princess8,

Hellos from Hotel 1929!
Thank you for the positive review.

With space very much a constraint in a conservation building, we do admit that the rooms are rather petite. We are happy that you had an overall good experience staying with us, and we certainly hope to have you back when you are next in town.

Until next time, safe travels!

Reviewed 31 May 2013 via mobile

Can't really complain much for its tiny little set up but was a pleasant stay at this little boutique hotel transformed from an old building in Singapore. The traditional elements are the key to attract me from other typical 4 stars hotel priced at the same range. Walking distance to some old places adds a value for the stay. Not a bad choice at all if you want to try beyond regular.

• Stayed: October 2012
UnlistedCollection, Manager at Hotel 1929, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2013

Dear ahsang,

Warm greetings from Hotel 1929!
Thank you for your valuable feedback.

Hotel 1929 is most definitely not your conventional hotel; housed in a conservation shophouse, the rooms, whilst fitted with modern fixtures, are reminiscent of a historic Singapore. We are pleased to hear of your appreciation for our unique rooms and of the hotel’s central location.

We hope to have you back when you are next in town!