“Same high standards” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #60 of 309 Hotels in Singapore
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Same high standards”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2008

This was my second time staying at the Hilton in Singapore and it was equally as good as the first time. Rooms have been upgraded to have the LCD television sets now and there is nothing I can really say to fault the place. Complimentory toiletries even include mouthwash.

One thing to note is that the swimming pool is to be closed in the near future for renovation.

• Liked — Eveything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Tam Carr

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sydney Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2008

We recently stayed 1 night at this hotel as part of a SIA "Stopover Package". As one of the more expensive category hotels, I was left feeling overall very disappointed.

On a positive... we were appreciative of an early check in to our room, and found that the Reception staff were very professional.

Tired after a long flight...we opted to simply dine at the Brasserie downstairs for an early evening meal. I was disappointed to realise that the menu was identical to our in room dining menu..and the same price. We ordered 2 mains at a cost of approx $40 total for a snack from the menu.

We were offered a "Champagne appertif "before our meal. I naively requested a glass of champagne each. We were not advised of the price...and to my horror, the waiter showed us the bottle of $240 French champagne which he was pouring from.
We were totally misled into trying to consume the most expensive champagne (second only to Moet & Chandon). At no stage were we advised the cost of a glass of champagne...and never requested a bottle. We were never given any choice.(There were several other less expensive options available.) Several further attempts were made to get us to consume another glass each. We were totally conned!!

Incidentally...looking at the wine list...champagne is not even aviailable by the glass!!

Our 3 glasses of champagne cost us $105!!!...and our 2 meals together were only $40!

I discussed this issue with the Hotel Duty Manager. The issue was not resolved to my satisfaction, as only a small credit was offered for our trouble. He didn't seem to understand that we had no intention of paying $35 for a glass on champagne...with a $20 snack meal.

I would never stay at this hotel again due to this experience.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed May 2005, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Kristen066
Shanghai, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2008

Location of the hotel is great on the main shopping drag of Singapore. I was amazed at the top stores located in the lobby area of the hotel.

However the hotel is not at the top of its class in comparison. I would rate it a 3-4 star hotel. The hotel needs updating in most parts of its hotel.

The cafe which serves breakfast buffet, needs better quality of food. Don't go there 1/2 hour before the buffet ends. They don't refill the food as much. Breads and fruits are very quick to disappear.

The swimming pool was VERY disappointing. The pictures are not at all what it seems like. The pool is very deep, and rusted. Don't plan on using this facility. Also there is no jacuzzi or hot tub.

• Liked — Courteous service by the bellman.
  • Disliked — No bar, breakfast poor. Very disappointed in pool.
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank worldtravelers3
Greenwich, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2008

This Hilton needs some help. I was on the executive floor. My bathroom was sour smelling and the room had wet and filthy carpet. I stayed there (and would stay again) only for the Hilton points. There are much better properties in Singapore so if you don't care about the points then go some place else. It needs some major renovations starting with the carpet. The continental breakfast in the lounge is ok but no omelets. Most lounges in Asia always have omelets. Also, the nightly refreshments are for only 2 hours so you have to be quick. But the staff is very nice and very helpful.

Stayed April 2008
2 Thank tulsau
Co. Antrim, N. Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2008

Stayed 9 nights in March 2008. This was a good hotel in a super location. Staff were very good as was the buffet breakfast. Having 2 children I booked the hotel for the rooftop pool. The pool is like something from the 1970's. It is appalling with broken tiles and terribly dated decor. For children the pool is actually dangerous as the edges are very steep. There are also no pool services (drinks/food etc). If it wasn't for the pool five stars - but the pool needs completely renovated.

• Liked — The service
  • Disliked — Pool
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank ilockyer
Austin,TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2008

Went with several colleagues on a business trip, couldn't get the corporate rate, but got bumped to the executive floor which was nice. I was offered a S$40 food/beverage voucher (worth about 2 drinks in the lounge) and a selection from 6 gifts worth about $20 each, which was nice.

The room was small, but comfortable. Fruit and water were waiting and the bed was firm enough that I got a good nights sleep.

One night on returning to my room, I got a message saying to please contact the executive floor. When I did, they told me that there was an error in my booking and that my stay was actually an extra S$125 per night. I was too tired to deal with it and waited until the next day. I went to the executive desk and we argued for several minutes before they finally agreed that if there was an error in my rate it should have been identified when I checked in, as opposed to telling me 3/4 of the way through my stay that it would be an extra S$500 / night. They begrudgingly agreed to the rate.

Similar problems happened to my colleagues on check-in as well. I like Hilton, but stuff like this is not good. I'm waiting to see if I get a survey from this stay...

• Stayed February 2008
4 Thank hnewburn
Shah Alam, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2008

I had a pleasant overnight stay during the Chinese New Year Holidays from 8-9 February 2008.

The facilities accorded at the Executive Lounge were great (our rooms were on the 19th floor), with free access to internet and laptop. However, the food could have been better, as there were only light snacks provided, and no sandwiches. The kids loved the ice cream though.

As the hotel was located along the Orchard Road, and close to Tangs, Paragon Mall, etc. , it was a great location for shoppers.

And, to cap it all off, we had great sunny weather.

• Liked — The whole Hilton experience.
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family