“Average for a Hilton hotel”
Review of Hilton Singapore

Hilton Singapore
Ranked #65 of 308 Hotels in Singapore
UK
“Average for a Hilton hotel”
Reviewed 20 September 2008

We stayed at the hotel for 4 days and expericenced a stay expected from a 4 star hotel. The hotel's location on Orchard Road was perfect for the shops and the the metro.

The hotel is very functional with one of the benefits being a great buffet breakfast. We stayed in an excutive suite which gave access to pre-dinner drinks and breakfast. The rooms even in the executive suite are what you would expect of a standard room with good business facilities.

• Liked — The breakfast
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (372)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
LA, CA
Reviewed 10 September 2008

We used our Hilton Honor Points to get two free nights after our 9 days in Indonesia. We previously stayed at Royal Plaza on Scotts and we both liked Royal Plaza on Scotts a lot better. We ran into several issues while staying there for 2 nights. First, we requested a non-smoking room, but the room we got definitely smelled like a smoking room. Actually, the floor had a smoky smell to it (maybe they recently converted this floor to non-smoking). If you don’t like smoke smell, avoid the 13th floor. We called the front desk and they sent the housekeeping to spray the room, but it didn’t help. Your nose will get used to it and can’t detect any smoke after a while, but when you first walk into the room, you can smell the smoke. We should’ve request a room change, but we were too lazy to do so and plus the room was free, we don’t want to make such a big hassle. Second, the bathroom is very small (especially compared to the Royal Plaza on Scotts). If someone is standing by the sink, the door won’t close. You have to squeeze to close the bathroom door. My girlfriend is tiny (5 feet tall), and she even thinks the bathroom is small. You barely have room to move in this tiny bathroom. The shower/bathtub is small too. The room itself is nice with 4 star amenities (plasma TV, down comforter, bathrobe, slipper, etc), but it’s nothing special. The third complaint was my girlfriend some bed bug bites. She found 10 or so red dots on her legs after the first night there, and several others after the second night. We can’t accuse Hilton for this for sure because I didn’t have it, but to be safe, stay away from Hilton. You may ask why we didn’t switch room after so many mishaps, but I guess it’s because the room was complimentary and we don’t want to make a big deal out of it. The part that made me upset was when we went to check out and the receptionist asked about our stay. I mentioned all of the above and she didn’t even say sorry. She just handed me the bill for the use of the internet ($0.43Singapore Dollar/minute. I was very disappointed by the service received at this hotel. We’ll write to Hilton in a formal letter and let them know about the issue. I would’ve not stayed there if I have to pay for the room. Your money would be better spent somewhere else. I would not recommend staying at this hotel if you have to pay for the room. I would recommend staying at Royal Plaza on Scotts which is just down the street and not far from Orchard Road and all the shopping.

• Liked — Lobby area was nice
  • Disliked — Smoke smell in non-smoking room
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
dublin
Reviewed 29 August 2008

The Hilton is located in an older building, I would guess from the 1960s or 1970s. I would think which has been upgraded, but it lacks the size and grandeur you have come to expect in Asian hotels, and suffers because of this The rooms are good, definitely above average, not huge, but it's all there. The public areas though are rubbish for a hotel of this calibre and price and alleged star rating. Against this it is on Orchard Road and that in itself gets over the restaurant and bar problem because you are surrounded by options. However, the hotel is saved by this happy co-incidence when it should have better options for bars and restaurants than it does ,especially given that it is not all that cheap. I would definitely suggest that the Hilton go about acquiring some extra space and get this built in. Otherwise it will just be a stopover hotel and quite pricey for that purpose. Having said that, i stayed twice because it is convenient. So if you like getting out of the hotel to eat like me this is good, but this should be reflected in the price which it isn't. So this means that is average in my opinion. Would i stay again. I dont care

• Liked — It's location
  • Disliked — It's public areas and facilities
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank gringottsgoblin
Timbuktu, Mali
Reviewed 28 August 2008

I've been to the Singapore Hilton several times over the past year. The best part of the hotel is the location: If you are in Singapore for business, you can hardly go better for that price - situated right on Orchard Road, you are in walking distance to almost anywhere.

The problem with the Hilton was that it was getting a bit old and "used", but I just was there again, and apparently a major overhaul has progressed. I got a room that was so new that it smelled a bit too much of new paint, but now it is up to standard of what you expected from a hotel of this range - light wooden panelling, beige carpet, new glass desk, flat screen TV, new bathroom - all in the deluxe room.

The gym has gotten some new equipment and the pool is currently going through renovations (and will remain closed until sometime in September) - so keep that in mind when booking.

The service remains up to par and in the new state, I find it a great bet for a stay in Singapore.

Due note however, that they are currently tearing up the sidewalk in front of the hotel and you will have a very loud construction site, if your window is towards the street. Work starts at 9am and goes through 5pm - so don't sleep late. According to the hotel, they should be finished by October.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Ongoing contruction
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank travelboy2000
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 27 August 2008

I travel to Singapore about once a month and always stay at the Hilton. It is a great business hotel, the staff are superb and they always remember your name and give you that little bit extra special service. Whilst it may not be as flash as some of the other hotels in Singapore for practicality and price I do not think you can beat it. Great location for people on a stop over in Singapore.
The Club rooms on the front of the building are the best as you get a balcony - if you can use it with the humidity! The Club Floors are well worth the extra not just for the room but for the free breakfast, free evening drinks and use of the lounge.
The pool is currently being refurbed but your can use the Four Seasons Pool next door.

• Liked — Great Customer Service
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed 20 August 2008

When we were assigned to go over seas and I found out our training was to be in Singapore I was excited. I was even more excited to find out we were staying at the Hilton on the famous Orchard Road. Not only that, the company arranged for our daughters, 14 & 16, to have their own room, and we weere put on the business floor so we had access to the lounge. WOW!

Well things were not quite as swell as I had imagined. First off they let our reservation go. We had a late arrival and our company rep had not asked for a late check in. So no connecting rooms, and we were in a smoking room. Nicely enough the next day the moved us to a different floor with connecting rooms and non-smoking... but it was a bit of a process. The rooms (all 4 that we saw anyway) were musty and in great need of refurbishing. The business lounge was good and the location easy to get to and from. (most taxi drivers know where to go when you say Hilton)

Step out the doors of the Hilton and you are right on the busy street with all the shops and food and people galore. I am not a huge fan of big cities or posh shopping, so there was little to hold my attention directly on Orchard Rd... but the zoo is terrific! The Singapore Flyer was neat, but it is a much longer ride than it needs to be... esp. if you get stuck up there with loads of kids.

The hotel buffet breakfast was terrific. Lots of fresh fruits, fresh cooked foods and choices of local or western foods. My daughter was thrilled to have her first piece of dragon fruit frechly peeled and sliced just for her on our first morning there.

So while I know that I just must have had my hopes too high, I have to say that I was slightly dissapointed with having stayed at this Hilton. I have been at nicer and cleaner small chain hotels, so for Hilton standards thisone comes up a little short.

• Liked — Location is great
  • Disliked — needs a good airing out and remodel
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 7 August 2008

The recent renovation of all the rooms in this hotel makes it a very comfortable and pleasant place to stay. Service was excellent through the usual practice of Hilton jacking up the prices in all of its hotel restaurants applies here. Try to avoid any of the dining venues in a Hilton hotel. They are not good value.
Hotel has great location and excellent staff. Note if you are a Hilton Gold member they tend to run out of room upgrades.

• Stayed July 2008