“Walking Distance to Orchard Road ...” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of York Hotel

York Hotel
Ranked #114 of 308 Hotels in Singapore
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Walking Distance to Orchard Road ...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

I arrived earlier before 11am that there was no any room available. I was informed that I only able to check-in after 2pm. I requested for help as I needed a room urgently to use their WIFI for a conference call at 12pm (the WIFI service @ lobby only available for room guest only). I noted that Jackson Tang, the front desk staff tried his very best to help me, and I finally managed to check-in about 11.30am. Once I entered the room... it was so spacious with 2 queen bed - I found that he upgraded the room for me (i.e. as corporate and frequent customers) that allowing me to attend my meeting on-time. I appreciate and thanks to Jackson for his excellent service.

Once I entered the room, I found that the bathroom light was not working that I have to call the maintainance which took about an hour to fit it. During my stay... I noticed that the housekeeping service was pretty poor... the desk and side table was not properly cleaned, the floor was not vacuum properly, and the basic set of toiletries have not been replenished. And. I encountered many times on the room access cards problems that I have to go to the front desk many times to replace and reactivate the cards --either it can access to the lift but unable to open the room door, or can open the room door but unable to access the lift, and both were not working.. soba soba!

The hotel is located near the Singapore famous shopping malls and branded stuffs, with walking distrance to orchard road.

Actually, 2 of my peers also stayed at this hotel at the same time... Here... three of us had different experience during our few days stay thought we reserved the room at the same time (together) and paid for the same rate...

1. 2 of us have 2 queen-bed room and 1 of us have a small standard bed room.

2. I received 1.5L complementary bottle water, and the other one have 2 standard complementary 500ml bottle water & 1 basket of fruits, and the other colleague have nothing at all i.e. no complementary bottled water, not to mention the basket of fruits...

I have questioned them why there were different services rendered for us. They said would act and revert to us immediately...but it seemed no further explanation and no action was taken at all...

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank cscvc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

We stayed for 5 nights in a family room with 1 king bed and 2 singles. The room was huge with plenty of space for the kids to play. The hotel was about 500m from Orchard Road with plenty of shops and transport. The check in and check out processes were quick and easy. We had breakfast included, which had a good selection, though it didn't change much over the week. The restaurant was always freezing in the mornings.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Felicity D
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

Stayed for 2 nights here since our first choice Quincy was over booked. The hotel is good proximity to Mount Elizabeth hospital and Orchard road, so for Location this hotel would get full marks. However what let it down for me is as follows:

1. Check in - quick and easy but no smile and no information, staff did not seem welcoming at all
2. Temperature - the whole hotel is absolutely freezing, take a thick warm jumper if you are staying here
3. Restaraunt - Didnt eat here but didnt want to because it feels like a cafeteira in the middle of the lobby
4. Rooms - very big but old fashioned, bathroom had grimy tiles, room did not smell fresh.
5. When we called for more tea bags the room service guy came to the room, dumped the tea bags in my hand and left...not a single word was spoken.
6. When I called reception to say i couldnt connect to the internet no help was given, just told to keep trying.
7. They charge to call room to room! this is outrageous and they do not tell you this, just hit you with a bill at check out
8. Asked at the "information desk" where a particular restaurant was which was located close to the hotel. They sent us in the wrong direction instead of saying they were not sure.
8. Tried to book a taxi to the airport the night before and was told to get one at the lobby as they come every few minutes. After checking out I asked for a taxi and was told there was a queue. I stood and waited for 30 minutes and the queue had not moved. I went back inside and insisted on booking a taxi as I was late for the airport, i was told they charge higher but I said I didnt care, i needed to get to the airport. My taxi came after 5 minutes and I left, leaving all the other poor people still in the same queue.

Overall there are too many negatives for me to book this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Kay009
Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

Went there with my family and we booked the family room (1 king size bed and 2 single beds). The room was huge, clean and has a big window. The beds were comfortable. The bathroom and closet were also big. The check in and out were a breeze - a typical Singaporean efficiency. The cleaning staff were polite and courteous. We asked for extra mineral water, and we get extra 2 big bottles. The location was great. It is located in a quiet area, but only takes a short 5-minute walk to Orchard Road. The nearest shopping mall is Paragon, and has our favorite restaurants (Din Tai Fung and Soup Restaurant) and has a great supermarket and bakery. Mount Elizabeth hospital is also very nearby.
Amid the rising hotel rates in Singapore, we found York Hotel has the best value for money for a family stay. We will definitely stay there again in the future.

Room Tip: The hotel is quite small with only a few rooms per floor. The big family rooms are located at the co...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

Great location in close proximity to orchard road and mount Elizabeth medical center. Moderate size rooms. Great money value compared to nearby hotels. Room dining is not great but the lobby restaurant looks ok.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Peterhead, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

Our stay was fantastic. Food, room and staff were excellent. Could not have had a more pleasurable holiday. Easy access to shopping, buses and within easy walking distance of "must see" sights. Staff very knowledgeable and helpful about ways to get about and what to see. This was our second stay and will definitely not be our last. Family on way to stay there as we speak.

Room Tip: Ask for suite at the pool. Amazing. No noise even though pool at door.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Swansea IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

The York Hotel was located just a block from the Orchard Rd area in Singapore. The staff were helpful and efficient. The room was clean, large and comfortable. I enjoyed the stay and would recommend this hotel. Breakfast was included and I was surprised that you could order fried eggs and omelets made fresh.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business