“some quirks but good value for money overall”

Hotel Bencoolen - Bencoolen Street
Ranked #167 of 319 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 16 June 2014

First rule of hotels - you get what you pay for. I was on a tighter budget for this stay in Singapore than previous trips. I chose the Bencoolen because it was close to the hotel I used to stay at, but it was half the price. I had asked for a high floor - knowing that there are ongoing roadworks outside the hotel to construct the new MRT station. Big mistake - I was put in a dreadful room with a window screwed slightly open (for some reason), thus allowing sound in. Room was also obviously lacking in any upgrading. I complained and was moved to a room on the other side of the building on lower floor - bath, not just shower, this time, room in much better condition.

From then on things went well - staff were extremely friendly, chatty, and keen to help - although sometimes overwhelmed by large parties of guests. Breakfast was pretty good. One odd thing - you can control the temperature and speed of the fan for the air-con but if you turn the a/c off, you have to ask reception to turn it back on, you can't do it yourself. Why on earth have that?

Spa area and (outdoors) gym basic but nice.

Room Tip: Don't have a room on road-side or higher floor.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Terry F

Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

Staff was friendly and helpful. Rooms are clean but very cold. AC cannot be controlled from the room even though there is a control. Bathroom is clean and good size. 2nd floor has a nice & clean outdoor swimming pool. Internet in the room and breakfast is included.

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Semolina12
Reviewed 7 May 2014

nice hotel absoloutly friendly staff. very nice spa area awsome pool. ok nearby a construction but thats not a permanent thing to claim. soap, toothburst, AC made some struggles but ok. price ok. clean, very very good location cheap for ERP (central singapore). room was small but thats normal in singapore

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 April 2014

I'm suppose to travel and visit Singapore for the 2nd time this April 2014. I stayed at Hotel Bencoolen before last 2012. I'm very delighted with their hospitality and planned to stay again. My flight was cancelled this April 2014. I have a reservation and called Hotel Bencoolen to cancel the same day. Hotel Bencoolen was very very empathetic, considerate and very very very kind enough not to charge anything. I was never charged in my credit card. I'm very stressed, frustrated with what happen to my cancelled flight. Hotel Bencoolen tried their very best to do something much more to their guests. Definitely, Hotel Bencoolen is my first choice. Superb customer relations!

Room Tip: Very near and accessible to everywhere!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank eau_chanel
Reviewed 24 April 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed at Hotel Bencoolen for 3 nights in March. In my opinion, the primary reason for staying at Hotel Bencoolen is the supreme location. It is literally 3-4 minutes away from the Bras Basah MRT and less than 10 minutes from the Dhoby Ghaut MRT, which is where 3 lines intersect. So, in terms of travel convenience, i don't think this hotel can be bettered.

The hotel itself is a small, homely affair with small, barebone rooms. The breafkast left a lot to be desired and the authorities are building an MRT station in front. However. The staff were all friendly and courteous, the rooms were clean and the water pressure in the bathroom excellent.

Hotel Bencoolen represents great value for money. For those who spend the entire day out and about like we did, you would find that the few hours you spend in the room is not at all taxing. Next time I go to singapore, if I were to have the same budget, I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room not facing the Bencoolen street. They are building an MRT station there until 2018...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank luckystriker007
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

The staff and people on reception couldn't do enough for you so helpful and friendly
Great location close to all metro station fabulous food court on the corner
Rooms were so nice only downside is the aircon got too cold so we turned it off and couldn't get it to turn on again
If u want to use the pool best to go early in the morning as from 2pm there is no sun

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I booked this hotel considering its location of the conference hall where I had to deliver a lecture. Of course initially I had to wait for nearly an hour before I moved to the room. Apart from this all the arrangements ,staff service, good breakfast having several veterinarian items . Since I used to go to the rooms small room does not matter for me. For evening stroll location helped me. I stayed here for five nights and found it comfortable for businesses trip.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business