“Recommended”
Review of YMCA One Orchard

YMCA One Orchard
Reviewed 20 October 2010

I stayed at the YMCA with 3 mates for 3 nights for the F1 Grand Prix. We had a regular room with 3 beds plus a trundle which I got as I was last through the door. That said, I slept like a log all 3 nights - nothing wrong with that trundle.

The room was clean and cool. Housekeeping were great. Breakfast was great. Location was great. Really struggling to find anything to criticise.

For what we paid during F1 weekend, split 4 ways, the YMCA was a bargain and I'd highly recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Romford

Reviewed 10 October 2010

We recently stayed 5 nights at the YMCA. Our room was recently refurbished and perfect for us with 3 single beds. The breakfast was not as large as a buffet at a hotel but it was plenty for us. We didn't spend a lot of time there but it was a great base for exploring Singapore.
Cheers, Ju-li

• Stayed: September 2010
2  Thank Ju-liann22
Reviewed 8 October 2010

Nice newly renovated room, clean bathroom, quick check in n out, good breakfast - had the same one for 3 days though. Overall good value for money and excellent location, unfortunately housekeeping should need more supervision. I had my room cleaned at 16.30 hrs on the second day after the housekeeping saw me returning to my room, so i have to wait for 20 mins at the living area outside the lift . And worst was on the third day , when i returned to my room at 17.00hrs it was still undone, so i approached the Malay lady (housekeeper) on the hallway few doors away from my room and asked her to make up my room, SURPRISINGLY she answered me that her working time is up and just offered me soaps and towels instead, and grumbling that she had a 'full house' to clean ??, could you believe that? I went straight to the reception desk and told the receptionist what i heard from the housekeeper. They didn't looks surprised at all, just said ' we'll ask another housekeeper to do your room' , like it always happening in ymca, where someone must ask or complain to have a room make up..(never experiences this in other hotels around the world)
I wrote a letter of complain to the Hotel General Manager, and had NIL responses.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 October 2010

In Singapore the best way to travel around is by their Metro Rail. So any place close to a Metro is what you should go for. And this place, YMCA International House is right next to Dhoby Ghaut, which is not only a station, but also a junction. Which means you can take any metro line from here. With 50 singapore dollars per head we roamed ALL OVER Singapore for 6 days. How much cheaper can your transport get. The place itself is not too bad either. It could do with a little sprucing up of service. But overall our stay was good. It is impecably clean. And they provide you with all toileteries so no hassle of carrying all of that with you. I would go back there for sure!! Best budget option I would say!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank RayBT
Reviewed 29 September 2010

My wife and I have just returned home after staying 8 nights at the "YMCA International House" in Singapore. It was perfect for us. Its location, price and services.
We had a very spacious Junior suite which I recommend, as the standard rooms are a little small. As far as I can make out there are just 3 floors of accommodation in the 10 floor building, with just one junior suite on each floor. This recently renovated suite, #713, had 2 window seats in one corner with a nice relaxing chair to sit in to read or just look at the city view. A small but fresh and clean bathroom functioned well and 2 bottles of water were left for us as the suite was made up each day.
On the 4th floor there is a restaurant that serves a very good free breakfast each day. We ate a couple of lunches and dinners there too. It's not fancy, but good food and great prices.
There is a Christian school on the 2nd floor, a car-park on the 3rd, accommodation on the 6th, 7th and 8th, and a wonderful, decent sized swimming pool and shaded picnic area on the roof.
Despite reports of this place being a 10 minute walk from the nearby MRT station, I decided to take note of how long it actually took for us, in our 50's, to walk it. From the front steps of the Y to the MRT station steps, it took 2 mins & 50 seconds, but you'll need to "J" walk, as waiting for the lights at the crossings, takes a lot of time. We traveled to the Formula 1 circuit each day, taking the train to Nicoll Highway station,only about 4 stops from the Y and closest to gate 1 at the circuit. This took only 6 minutes and cost just S$2.10, of which you get a dollar refunded when you return your ticket.
Also there is a bus stop, right out the front of the building, and hailing a cab is quick and easy from there too.
Check in and out went smoothly and the front office staff were very polite and helpful throughout our stay.
With the Orchard Rd. shops one direction and the F1 GP circuit the other, it was the perfect location for us. Its also within a short stroll of many eateries and sights.
Would we stay here again?.....definately.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank TheMoruya2
Reviewed 13 September 2010

A OK for family & friends. Nice rooms, service, staffs, & location

Stayed: April 2010
Reviewed 1 September 2010

We booked directly from the website and the response was prompt and courteous. The room was also much better then expected. It was reasonably spacious, clean and was a comfy place to crash after a walkaround in S'pore. There was even a flat screen tv with cable channels and a cute toiletry kit to boot. Breakfast was adequate and came with a good view when eaten on the cafe balcony. Going anywhere was extremely convenient with the train and bus stops just a few minutes walk.

• Stayed: July 2010