“Nice..”

Happy Snail Hostel
Almelo, The Netherlands
“Nice..”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2013

I stayed here for 3 days. The hostel is maybe a little bit small, but it's cozy. I met some great people there and the the breakfast it great. Especially the bread is divine after two months of Indonesia. But okay. The hostel is clean, the staff is very nice and if you need to know something. Just ask Mike. He knows (almost) everything. The Wi-fi is pretty fast. I almost felt at home :p. The hostel is a 10 - 15 min walk from the MRT. Maybe for some to far, but I don't care. I like to walk. Gives me the opportunity to see the area/city. With the MRT you'll be in 10 min in Little China or Little India, and 20 min in Orchard Road or the park.
The only negative comment about this hostel is that there are only 2 showers/toilets for to many people.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2013

I attended a course in Singapore General Hospital Block 6 so I did my research in many websites to find the closest hotel which would allow me to wake up late and still be in time for the sessions. The hostel is in the 147th building of public apartments section ( I guess because there are so many similar high rises building in the neighbourhood) I just walked across the street and the SGH is there!

The bus stop is in front of the 149th building ( named Block 149 bus stop) which is just 1 min walking distance from the hostel. You can catch a bus to everywhere easily. I was in Singapore before but never use buses, staying in the hostel with the guidance from the owners made it very convenient to travel by buses around singapore. The room is pretty small but luckily I had quite polite roommates during 5 days of my stay. China town and Orchard street is very near and takes only 1 bus. Wifi is fast and stable and free. They provide one laptop for guest. The bed sheet and pillow sheet and blanket are also costless.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2013

I arrive in Singapore for an internship and as I didn’t want to rent a room in an apartment online without visiting, I booked a bed in happy snail hostel for a few nights first. As I felt very good there, I’ve decided to extend my stay here. It’s a very nice place, very comfortable and friendly. It’s always very clean. There is free breakfast (bread, jam, fruits, tea, coffee) at any time, and there are some shops and places to eat nearby. There are 3 rooms with lockers; each bed has his own light and plug.
The hostel is owned by a very nice couple. (Mike and Christine). They are amazing: so great and enthusiastic! They are very helpful and have lots of knowledge (about the city but much more). If you meet a problem they always try to help you there best.
Compared to some others hostels in Singapore, it’s really cheap, and it’s in a good location. (Outram Park MRT is very near to Clarke Quay, Chinatown, Marina Bay…).
The wifi is fast and there is also a plasma TV, and for people who travel without laptop, iphone… there is a computer available.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a cozy homely hostel, you just found it !
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Veldhoven, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2013

The Happy Snail Hostel was one of the cheapest hostels we could find in Singapore, and yet it had everything we needed. It's clean, they offer a nice free breakfast and Mike is very friendly and knowledgeable about Singapore! I forgot my USB cable for my camera during my stay in Singapore, and they sent it to my house in the Netherlands free of charge, so that was really nice as well!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2013

I stayed her for 3 nights with 2 friends and we found it to be a great hostel. It has a real homely feel, free breakfast and goods shower! Easily accessible from airport, on good public transport routes, although china town and marina bay are walkable anyway.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Happy Snail just before Xmas 2012. The hostel is in an apartment building but good security. Location wise, it’s not as central as some other hostels but there are endless buses running from just outside and China town is 30 minute walk. The nearest metro is 15 min walk.

The hostel is more like a large flat and reminded me of being at university but without the mess. There are only 3 or 4 rooms in the hostel. We stayed in the 8 bed dorm which is smaller than some, but you get your own locker. There are two showers and two toilets which is still plenty.

Very good value, incredibly clean and good free wifi with a free computer to use as well. Huge plasma TV with comfy bean bags to chill out on.

24 hour kitchen with endless supply of tea, coffee, bread, peanut butter and nutella, and the local food hall next door sells great food at local prices.

This is very much a community hostel as it is small, so if you are a traveler that likes to keep themselves to themselves, you might prefer somewhere that's easier to disappear amongst the masses… You can’t go wrong staying here if you're after a more homely hostel, unusual for a city like Singapore.

The icing on the cake for this hostel is the owner – Mike! One of the most helpful, friendliest owners we have come across. He will bend over backwards to accommodate you and help you out, books tickets all sorts of tickets at a discount etc etc.

On the first night we were in seperate bunks but when people moved out, he made a new bed and asked if I’d like to switch. We also shipped some stuff back to the UK and he went out of his was to find boxes for us sourced packing tape and all of his advice was spot on.

We can’t recommend either The Happy Snail (or Mike!) enough… 6 stars!!!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Claremont, New Hampshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2013

I stayed at this hostel for two nights. It is probably one of Singapore’s least expensive accommodations options (i.e., approximately $18 USD/night). The hostel is located in an apartment building in a suburban area of the city, fairly close to a subway stop and various bus lines. A small mall with inexpensive, casual eating establishments (some offered seating; others offered take-out) and convenience stores was located steps away from the hostel. Despite the management’s explicit directions, I had difficulty finding the hostel, and late on the night of my arrival, found myself knocking on a neighbor’s door to ask where the hostel was located. The hostel’s kitchen and baths were shiny and new, and the hostel was spotlessly clean. A washer and dryer were available for guests’ use. Breakfast was adequate (e.g., cereal, fruit, nutrition bars, coffee, tea, and juice), and guests could use the kitchen and access food at any time. The owner/manager was friendly and eager to assist travelers with planning their stays. My dissatisfaction with the hostel was due to the crowded conditions. I stayed in a 6-bed dorm room, which was extremely cramped. There were two to three other dorm rooms in the hostel, each of which appeared to have four to six beds. The other issue was that there were only two single bathrooms to accommodate everyone. The common seating area, which offered computers for guest use, was also quite small. Overall, this hostel has some positive qualities, but in my opinion, warrants a less than average rating due to the overcrowded quarters.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo