“you get what you paid for”
Review of Chang Ziang Hotel

Chang Ziang Hotel
Ranked #188 of 316 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Small basic room to stay if you do not mind the location (red light district)

Good: mini bar and good wifi (router right outside the room, so I get good and strong signal), plenty of eateries around (but the same can be say for the other budget hotels in the area)

Bad: Small room, bathroom is too small and narrow. Rather gloomy looking room with chipped concrete floor slab. No daily room service for my 2 night's stay (maybe you need to told them specifically to clean room?)

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Chang Ziang Hotel

Reviewed 7 December 2013

By far the worst place we have stayed in all of SE Asia and also one of the most expensive. Granted Singapore is more expensive so we were not expecting five star for what we paid but this place was a dive. The room was comfortable enough but it was small and in dire need of a clean and a paint job. The night staff were also very unfriendly and did not make you feel welcome at all. Never saw one person smile, ever. On the plus side the air-con worked well, as did the wifi. The room always felt secure and we did not feel concerned leaving our belongings here. Also the street the hotel was on was interesting with plenty of local street food and bars. It got quite lively at night. I would never stay here again and would fork out the extra money for something nicer next time I am in Singapore but if you are on a tight budget and have no other options, this place will not kill you. Also quite convenient to the metro.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jaime R
Reviewed 4 December 2013

The hotel is clean, the bed conformable, there are windows (I specify because I read that not all hotels/rooms in Singapore have windows), conditioned air works well and so internet.
They also give you a lot of water bottles for free.
The only problem are the dimensions of the room: it was hard to find the right place for the luggage because there barely is the space to walk around the bed, I was alone so at the end I left it in a corner but if you are 2 with 2 luggages you can have some problem...
And the bathroom was incredibly small! When you sit on the toilet practically you have your face almost into the wall and the shower doesn't even have the curtain so when you take a shower the water goes everywhere.
But at the end I'd recommend this hotel, if the price was a bit lower would be perfect!
Ah, after the check-out you can leave your luggage at the reception if you wanna visit the city for a few hours instead going directly to the airport.

About the location: I read many people saying that it was in the red light district, well, I'm not so sure about that, you can see some bitc** girls around the hotel but my conception of red light district is very different from what I saw.
The hotel is surrounded by street restaurants and they close very late, the food is good and cheap. There also is a supermarket just around the corner, on the right.
Despite my room was on the street side I never heard any noise coming from the restaurants full of people during the night.

To get here you can get off at Aljunied metro stop and walk around 800 meters or get off at Kallang, get onto bus # 62 (or 63 I think), 2 stops and you have to walk only 200-250 meters.

PS: regarding public transport, don't buy the Tourist Card, unless you're gonna travel from one side to the other one of the city for the whole day you're wasting your money, simply get the EZ-Link Card, you can buy it directly in the metro station inside the airport.
Metro closes around midnight and from midnight till 6 am taxi fares are 50% more expensive, remember that.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Alessandro R
Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

Staff were friendly and quiet nice to us. The accommodation was very basic. Rooms were very small. Our bathroom was bigger than the other people that were travelling with us and had a bath tub.
The location was ok- 10 min walk to train station.
Lots of restaurants around. It is I'm the red light district so probably not best for family stays.

Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank Gee2312
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Our awful experience of the Chang Ziang Hotel began upon arrival late in the evening, where the woman on the desk had no record of our reservation. Whilst backpacking, we were unable to print off confirmation, and every other hotel had been expecting us. The woman on the desk was dismissive and seemed annoyed that we did not have a smartphone to show her our booking. She then turned away to serve someone else whilst her assistant casually scrolled through unopened booking.com emails to try and find ours. Eventually we had to log on to our own emails via their ipad to prove we had a reservation.

After this, the assistant told us he had upgraded us to a superior room. This was either a bad joke or an appalling reflection of the quality of the standard rooms.
Our room was tiny, dingy, old-fashioned and with the smallest bathroom imagineable. I am 6 foot 2, and from the bed I could touch every point in the room, the corners of the ceiling and floor. I was physically incapable of sitting on the toilet without turning sideways, so close was the opposite wall.

The quality of this hotel can be summed up by the fact that it can be rented by the hour. Have a think about what that means.

It was also quite a distance out of central Singapore, requiring a 10 minute walk to the station and then 20 minutes on the metro.

It wasn't even particularly cheap, and we very much regret booking this in a hurry and not checking more thoroughly for somewhere better to stay.

Room Tip: A tip to help travelers choose a good room? Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Stephen H
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Most budget hotels in Singapore have small rooms and this place is no exception. We just stayed there for three nights this week. The room we got on the 7th Floor facing the back was basically OK, if you don't mind tripping over each other to do simple things. The "view" was OK, too, for this kind of place (at least it has one).

The Good:

Convenient location
Helpful staff
Reasonable price
Good hot water system (but be careful NOT to bump the tap with your back turned to the shower - better to take the shower head off and use it in your hand)
Power outlets
Safety deposit box (two keys)
You can open the windows
Hundreds of eating places nearby and 24-hour supermarkets, 7-Elevens, etc

The Not-So-Good:

Our room wasn't cleaned even once in three days, but clean when we arrived
I couldn't get any connection on my laptop to their wifi
Geylang is a red-light district which might bother some people (I've never had any problem there - probably no good for families)

Facilities:

There aren't any apart from a phone, air-con, hot water jug, free "wifi", a TV (OK if you like ChannelNewsAsia or can speak Chinese/Malay)

Conclusion:

If you don't expect much, it'll do. I think that they have slightly larger rooms. Don't go there if you're claustrophobic.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JohnnyCool185
Reviewed 16 March 2013

It’s a budget hotel that provides all the basics. It’s definitely worth the low price you’re charged for your stay. The only drawback seems to be that the reception for the television in the room and the free wifi is too slow and keep disconnecting.
Comfortable stay, small room though. Hotel staff that are efficient and friendly. The room also provide water heater. 10minutes walk to Kallang and Aljunied mrt. Hotel is located nearby to a lot of chinese restaurants.
Just come out from the hotel main entrance and turn to your right around 350 meters there is a 24 hours supermarket Sheng Siong.

Room Tip: Get the highest floor (Level 8) if you interested in the night view over looking the city and Singap...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo