“Good value for money”

Ranked #186 of 308 Hotels in Singapore
Cebu City, Philippines
“Good value for money”
Reviewed 28 March 2014

This is the cheapest hotel I can find in Singapore. We were 3 so we rented the bunk room which has a double deck and private bathroom in the room. Location is in Geylang which is in the red light district. This is ok for us since no one bothered us when we walk the streets. There are a lot of cheap eateries at the Geylang area which is what we enjoyed the most.

The hotel room is clean and small but you can still move around a bit. They give free toiletries and bottled waters. The only downside I can sight is that there is no cable and there were bed bugs, we asked our bedsheets to be changed the next day and that solved the problem.

Room Tip: Bunk rooms can fit 3 people without you needing to pay for an extra bed.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank lirpa0424

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 10 March 2014

If you travel on a low budget and you can compromise on location, then I believe Chang Ziang Hotel is a great value for money alternative to the many expensive hotels in Singapore. There are downsides that you should be willing to compromise on: located in a red light district, some rooms rented out by the hour and small bathrooms. But that's it. Rooms are decent and clean. You are walking distance from public transport, taxis and food stalls. Hotel staff were very helpful and kind. Ask for a high floor room. I will come back here because most of the Singapore hotels are quite expensive and I spend most of my day in town.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor for a quiet night of sleep. If bathroom size is important to you then ask for a...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Small basic room to stay if you do not mind the location (red light district)

Good: mini bar and good wifi (router right outside the room, so I get good and strong signal), plenty of eateries around (but the same can be say for the other budget hotels in the area)

Bad: Small room, bathroom is too small and narrow. Rather gloomy looking room with chipped concrete floor slab. No daily room service for my 2 night's stay (maybe you need to told them specifically to clean room?)

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Leigh, New Zealand
Reviewed 7 December 2013

By far the worst place we have stayed in all of SE Asia and also one of the most expensive. Granted Singapore is more expensive so we were not expecting five star for what we paid but this place was a dive. The room was comfortable enough but it was small and in dire need of a clean and a paint job. The night staff were also very unfriendly and did not make you feel welcome at all. Never saw one person smile, ever. On the plus side the air-con worked well, as did the wifi. The room always felt secure and we did not feel concerned leaving our belongings here. Also the street the hotel was on was interesting with plenty of local street food and bars. It got quite lively at night. I would never stay here again and would fork out the extra money for something nicer next time I am in Singapore but if you are on a tight budget and have no other options, this place will not kill you. Also quite convenient to the metro.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jaime R

Travellers are raving about these Singapore hotels

Milan, Italy
Reviewed 4 December 2013

The hotel is clean, the bed conformable, there are windows (I specify because I read that not all hotels/rooms in Singapore have windows), conditioned air works well and so internet.
They also give you a lot of water bottles for free.
The only problem are the dimensions of the room: it was hard to find the right place for the luggage because there barely is the space to walk around the bed, I was alone so at the end I left it in a corner but if you are 2 with 2 luggages you can have some problem...
And the bathroom was incredibly small! When you sit on the toilet practically you have your face almost into the wall and the shower doesn't even have the curtain so when you take a shower the water goes everywhere.
But at the end I'd recommend this hotel, if the price was a bit lower would be perfect!
Ah, after the check-out you can leave your luggage at the reception if you wanna visit the city for a few hours instead going directly to the airport.

About the location: I read many people saying that it was in the red light district, well, I'm not so sure about that, you can see some bitc** girls around the hotel but my conception of red light district is very different from what I saw.
The hotel is surrounded by street restaurants and they close very late, the food is good and cheap. There also is a supermarket just around the corner, on the right.
Despite my room was on the street side I never heard any noise coming from the restaurants full of people during the night.

To get here you can get off at Aljunied metro stop and walk around 800 meters or get off at Kallang, get onto bus # 62 (or 63 I think), 2 stops and you have to walk only 200-250 meters.

PS: regarding public transport, don't buy the Tourist Card, unless you're gonna travel from one side to the other one of the city for the whole day you're wasting your money, simply get the EZ-Link Card, you can buy it directly in the metro station inside the airport.
Metro closes around midnight and from midnight till 6 am taxi fares are 50% more expensive, remember that.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Alessandro R
Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

Staff were friendly and quiet nice to us. The accommodation was very basic. Rooms were very small. Our bathroom was bigger than the other people that were travelling with us and had a bath tub.
The location was ok- 10 min walk to train station.
Lots of restaurants around. It is I'm the red light district so probably not best for family stays.

Stayed December 2013
2 Thank Gee2312
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Our awful experience of the Chang Ziang Hotel began upon arrival late in the evening, where the woman on the desk had no record of our reservation. Whilst backpacking, we were unable to print off confirmation, and every other hotel had been expecting us. The woman on the desk was dismissive and seemed annoyed that we did not have a smartphone to show her our booking. She then turned away to serve someone else whilst her assistant casually scrolled through unopened booking.com emails to try and find ours. Eventually we had to log on to our own emails via their ipad to prove we had a reservation.

After this, the assistant told us he had upgraded us to a superior room. This was either a bad joke or an appalling reflection of the quality of the standard rooms.
Our room was tiny, dingy, old-fashioned and with the smallest bathroom imagineable. I am 6 foot 2, and from the bed I could touch every point in the room, the corners of the ceiling and floor. I was physically incapable of sitting on the toilet without turning sideways, so close was the opposite wall.

The quality of this hotel can be summed up by the fact that it can be rented by the hour. Have a think about what that means.

It was also quite a distance out of central Singapore, requiring a 10 minute walk to the station and then 20 minutes on the metro.

It wasn't even particularly cheap, and we very much regret booking this in a hurry and not checking more thoroughly for somewhere better to stay.

Room Tip: A tip to help travelers choose a good room? Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple