Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
wenkai31
Woodlands, Singapore

A Brilliant Concept Let Down By Poor Lighting

3.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 24 Feb 2015
I chose Woke Home while researching about the different hostels in Singapore. It’s a neat little place and what drew me in was the fact that they are the first hostel in Singapore to adopt the capsule living concept (i.e. they’re Singapore’s first capsule hostel).

I originally settled with a 3D2N stay, but changed it to a 4D3N visit after being called upon to referee a soccer tournament for the weekend. The tournament was cancelled at the last minute and since there were no refunds for cancellation, I decided to run with it and did a bunch of stuff I’ll talk more about below.

It cost me $24 a night for a capsule. It includes breakfast as well.

Let’s start with the positives about this hostel. For one, the location of the hostel is absolutely prime. Located along South Bridge Road, this place connects to just about everywhere. There’s a bus stop just outside the hostel entrance, convenience stores located just beside it, a huge shopping mall not too far away, an MRT station slightly further up, two heritage-rich streets (Chinatown and Little India) nearby, and a plethora of bus stops that lead to endless destinations. If you’re serious about exploring Singapore, this is as good as a headquarter as it can get.

I myself prefer a warm, cosy place over a huge sprawling estate (altho I wouldn’t mind that tbh), so the size of the capsule is perfect. It’s not that big, but it’s not that small either (it would fit two teenagers comfortably).

For those who are security-conscious, I was surprised to see this place with a really decent security setup. The lockers are, as what we Singaporeans like to say, solid. People seem to be comfortable with leaving their expensive electronics around though, which is not a very common occurrence nor something you should do in Singapore. The 4th and 5th levels of the building, where the capsules are housed, can only be accessed by keycards that are given to occupants, which goes some way in providing a peace of mind.

The lounge area, which is located on the main floor (6th), is really homey and comfy. There’s a library, which impressed me with its wide offering of books in different languages (nice touch), a couch with a TV, some tables for people to do work and stuff, an Internet surfing area, and a pantry that offers free breakfast every morning and tea/coffee/hot water throughout the day.

The outdoor terrace was kinda homey actually. Could imagine daydreaming off here.

And the fact that there was a boxing dummy just puts an exclamation mark on the first impression barometer.

The staff were nice as well, offering me food whenever I’m in the lounge and generally made my stay enjoyable.

Now, the room-for-improvements.

The lights, or the lack thereof, is eyebrow-raising. It was essentially pitch-black (well you could still see stuff) when I took my showers at night. There were no lights over the shower cubicles, so the only source of light came from the one located in the sink area. The dormitories were poorly-lit as well, in the sense that while it was enough for you to see, it was still dark even when all four lights were turned on. You could get a idea of how dark the place was by the amount of noise in my pictures, even after noise reduction and other minor tweaks.

The dorms also have no windows, so like a casino, you wouldn’t know whether it’s nighttime or daytime without a clock. And the poor lighting, coupled with the relatively cold air-conditioning, gave the room a rather solemn mood.

Besides that, the capsule TV was broken due to a lighting strike, although other bloggers have been stating that the TVs were broken during their visits as well. That, was disappointing, but it was something I could make do without. The Wi-fi seemed to be working only in the lounge, exact sentiments once again shared by other reviewers.

The atmosphere wasn’t that great as travellers mostly kept to themselves, which I felt was a pity as I was looking forward to exchanging stories with them before the trip.

To be honest, other than the poor lighting which stuck out like a sore thumb, there’s nothing significantly bad with the hostel. The lounge area and all were wonderfully lit, which made the contrast between the levels as puzzling as it was worrying. The rays of sunshine and the warmth in the 8am-10am part of the day were great, and I could see a constellation in one of the most light-polluted area in Singapore at night. With a few minor tweaks here and there, this place would really make for an even more interesting experience. I had a joyous time here, but it was sad that the lighting had, ironically, dimmed my staycation spirits just a li’ll.
Trip type: Travelled solo
10.8 miles from Woke Home Capsule Hostel
    £112
2.3 miles from Woke Home Capsule Hostel
View more hotels in Singapore
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 12 January 2015 via mobile

First things first Nicole on reception is a credit to the place and has lots of info. The other reception staff are nice.
The capsule itself is great and can be quiet depending on the level of consideration of other people in. packing and unpacking are the noisiest.
Rooms are clean.
Bathroom is not so much - there is mould on the sinks. The toilets are too small and floor is always wet. The showers smell a little, the hooks are too high to out things on. However it is cheap on Singapore prices and was good for me.

1  Thank kicky_29
Reviewed 7 January 2015

A room was really clean and the receptionist was kind. So it was really comfortable and nice place.
However in living room. When we take the rest. The receptionist was listening music and watching TV program without headphone and earphone with very loud volume. So it was really noisy!:(
It's ok for me to play music but it was TOO LOUD...

Date of stay: October 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 December 2014 via mobile

We're staying for the first time in a capsule hotel. It's very comfortable and the staff is friendly and helpful. The location is superb. The downturn- it can be noisy in the room when people unpacking or packing. But it is a good value for the money.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank ghetis l
Reviewed 19 December 2014

This hostel is good if you're on a budget and the area is close to the clarke quay central mrt station. But it can get noisy in the room when other traveller arrives or packing their things to leave. Only 2 shower stalls in the floor. The receptionist is always hovering when you take your breakfast, immediately taking the foods back in the ref! 😠😐

Date of stay: November 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 December 2014

This is true hotel for Backpacker! First time I came here, I didnt really know about this hotel, but I saw from reviews that this hotel is very nice and its true! I stayed on this hotel with my friend that time where we are sharing rooms with the other girls. The bed is really like capsules but its really nice. First time I came to the room I thought that I maybe will not be able to sleep because the rooms are sharing and I probably will hear some noise, but while the sleeping time are coming, I definetely wrong. Even the rooms contains of many girs, but its really quite at the night and so privacy! The bathroom also very clean and the dining room is the best place to make friends to everyone from other countries. Also its loaction which near to the MRT Station is advantage. Very nice hotel!

Date of stay: January 2014