“A buzz - it is a new hotel - good fun”

PARKROYAL on Pickering
Ranked #19 of 306 Hotels in Singapore
Perth, Australia
“A buzz - it is a new hotel - good fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2013

Stayed at the Pickering last night, so it is fresh for me. I wanted to stay here as it is a new hotel, only opened for a couple of weeks. So you have to cut a bit of slack. They will get their act together. Good for business travellers willing to give feedback at this stage – Try to be positive for the next couple of months. I think that some of the previous reviews might be a bit harsh.

Firstly, I gather that they are doing a soft start. The whole hotel is not fully opened as yet. From what I understood, only 4 of the floors are opened, with a high occupancy for adventurous people.

I come to Singapore reasonably often, so I thought that it would be good to stay close to Chinatown for a change. This area is a buzz, especially in the lead up to New Year. It is good fun to be this close to the hustle and bustle of Chinatown, and still close to the Quay.
To business, check in was thorough, friendly and quick. They were all still learning the systems, but were friendly and helpful. I use a separate card for the room deposit – they understood this with no grief. No real need to explain the concept of room deposit though – most travellers understand this. They were knowledgeable about dinner and breakfast.

The rooms are smaller than the Stamford, Fairmont, Carlton, Hyatt and Intercontinental for much the same price. Maybe it was the room that I was in, or maybe the deal that we have with these other hotels. To me the size was ok, but I am an old single business traveller. I stayed in 1018.
I liked the office desk layout, the new TV and the idea of TV plug-in layout for video/audio, usb. I liked the lighting controls. The bed was firm – to me it was great.

What was unusual – the bathroom arrangement is open plan onto the main area – sliding doors for privacy – ok for single occupancy – might be a bit strange for couples or new lovers. Privacy is a bit of an issue as my room was overlooked by other rooms – pity the poor people looking into my room – there are privacy curtains - use them. They are a bit slow to operate though. The toilet had no handle on the outside – I like to keep the toilet door closed – hard to open once closed. Lighting in toilet was a bit dark for an old fellow. Went for a swim – no hanging area for swimmers in the shower? Every hotel has a retractable clothes line. Not enough hanging area in the bathroom space.

The location of the tea making facilities was strange - pullout drawer- not sure how it will last. No plastic bag to bins - poor cleaners

Went to the pool and gym area – this is a blast. Went for a swim at 19:00 on a Sunday night in their infinity pool overlooking SIN towards Stamford and Marina Bay Sands. Pool was a bit cold - maybe the decking a bit slippery with rain and water on it so be careful. Gym is all new – the fellow I saw this morning reckons that it was small – it looked great to me- new gear and no one in it last night would be a buzz to me – no supervision.

Had dinner in the Lime Restaurant – service was a bit flaky as expected for week 3. They need to have a bit of meet and great at the 2 entrances – maybe it is a Sin thing. Lots of people wandering through was a bit strange! Bit hard to know who was a waiter – need tags or a better uniform. The sneakers on the staff were a bit of a strange thing for me in a 4 star hotel . This will be fixed in coming weeks – the food however was good. The beers came quickly, and the staff were attentive.

Slept well – bed was firm, but good. Wakeup call was on time. Buffet Breakfast in the Lime – I was a bit early for the 06:30 start – that was not a problem. The buffet is curious. It is not centralised – the flow was bit out – drinks there, cereals across the way, fruit back next to the juices, hot European next and further up the Chinese hot, and then at the other end of the restaurant was the bread and pasties – this was strange.

Checkout was reasonably quick – each of the cashiers should have had their screens open. They were able to get the costs for dinner and breakfast (5 minutes earlier) with no problems. They gave itemised receipts and were able to change money with little problem. They will get quicker. The concierge took my bags and organised a taxi with little problem. They will get better. Recommend that you try this new hotel – it is a buzz. I will come back!

Room Tip: Go with the flow at present. Be aware of the rooms overlooking your room - put the blinds down :-)
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank CRadmac

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (462)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Tokyo, Japan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2013

This hotel has a lot of potential. The design is unique and welcoming. The rooms are comfortable with great views of Hong Lim Park and open to the elements as soon as one opens one's door. The location is excellent within comfortable walking distance to Boat Quay, Clarke Quay, and Chinatown. A nice mall / MRT station is very near by.

At present, the service isn't up to standard. Check-in takes longer than it should. Cleaning staff did an excellent job, yet left a used coffee press out for two days. Laundry was delivered late. Calls to the service line took ages to be answered.

None of these were so annoying as to make the visit unbearable. Truth be told a number of Singapore hotels are suffering from the same problem. It's a shame, however, for the design and the location make this an otherwise great place to stay.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank mjcSING
David-PARKROYAL, General Manager at PARKROYAL on Pickering, responded to this review, 20 April 2013
Dear mjcSING,

Thanks for your review and thanks for trying us out so soon after our opening. While I recognise we had some serious service challenges in the early days I am confident we have come a long way since. I look forward to welcoming you back to experience not just a beautiful property, but some great service as well on your next visit! Thansk again....David
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2013

Have just returned from a three night stay at this new property.

Check-in was prompt however I did request a room looking over the park and was assured that this was what I was given only to find that my room was pointing in the other direction.

The rooms.

Very spacious and well appointed. Light/power switches have inbuilt motion detection so light up before you have even made contact. Decor and styling I thought was very nice. It appeared we were the first to stay in this particular room so that felt nice also. An earlier review was critical of how hard the pillows and bed were. I could not disagree more. Both are fantastic (pillows actually cover the full width of the bed).... This was the 8th hotel I had stayed in on this trip and was easily the best nights sleep (which my daughter also agreed with)

The breakfast.

There was a wide range of food on offer with all of the typical buffet breakfast options present.
Obviously they are still fine tuning as they go but I found it odd that there was no granulated sugar on the tables (had to ask every morning for it) . If you want cold water you need to ask a waiter and get them to bring it to you in a jug as it is not available near the juice section. Also there were no labels on the three milk jugs so I could have either poured myself soy,lo-fat or normal milk if I had not have asked. Just small things which I am sure will be fixed.

On the day we were checking out we came back to the hotel with some lovely macaroon's from the TWG shop only to run into a Mr Hans Heijligers (Pac Pacific Area Vice President). He asked if we were aware they also make wonderful macaroons and took us to meet the pastry chef who prepared this wonderful big plate to take back to our room. Hans was very personable and made my daughter and I feel special at this property.

Our last day was also the day of a large function which had the President of Singapore and Prince and princess of the Netherlands attending. As you can imagine it was a very hectic time to find a taxi to the airport but Sean who works at front desk was just brilliant. He booked a taxi for us and then walked all of our gear across the road for us as the taxi could not enter due to the function. With diplomats from all over the world arriving in limousines it was nice to get have this special attention from Sean.

A wonderful new modern property which is only going to get better

Room Tip: High room looking over park.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Tyronn
Dear Tyronn,

Thank you so much for your lengthy review! I was very pleased to hear you and your daughter has a great night's sleep in our beds. I also find the beds extremely comfortable and I have worked in the hotel business for over 28 years. As I mentioned in an earlier reply, pillows are very subjective. Some people love them and some would prefer different ones, that's why we always have choices available now. I'm also happy you had an opportunity to meet Hans and be rewarded with some of our Chef's tasty macaroons! :) Yes, having a Royal State visit 9 days after our opening placed a little extra excitement and pressure on us but it was all good fun!!
Thanks again and I hope to welcome you back. The macaroons will be waiting....David
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2013

We stayed in this hotel just 2 weeks after it opened just to try it out.
Now, the bad stuff. The counter staff all seem a bit lost and struggle to communicate properly. When I arrived at 4pm, I was told that my room wasn't ready (I wonder if hotels should consider compensating guests who do not ask for a late check out but are forced to accept a later-than late check in). When I asked if there are higher room categories available because, you know, it's really late and I've got work to do, I was told by the counter staff that "I can only check into the room category that I booked for". Fine. I waited for another half an hour at the front lobby before a more confident staff approached me with the keys. However, this time, they forgot to activate my keys for Club lounge access (part of my package), which created another delay of 10 min while i stood waiting with my bags. Very bad first impression.
The design is refreshing and unique. Some of the city facing corridors that lead to rooms are open air, and have plants and water installations. Our room in particularly has an extensive planter installed outside the window, which gives the impression that we're staying in a ground floor resort. You can tell much thought is put into the eco-design of the place.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank pvtryan25
Dear pvtryan25,

Thank so much for your review. I realize you experienced several of our growing pains during your visit but sincerely thank you for trying us out just 2 weeks after our opening! I truly hope we get an opportuity to welcome you back. We are getting better every day and the landscaping is growing in beautifully! Thanks again.... David
New York City
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2013

I stayed at the ParkRoyal on Pickering approximately 3 weeks after it was opened. Service was hideous. I recognise that they still have teething issues, but this was not exactly their first weekend. Perhaps in six months time it will be elevated to an acceptable standard, but the hotel should be avoided for now (check back in say July for more updated reviews!).

The good:
- The location. Really convenient and close to public transportation.
- The architecture. It is a cool looking hotel.
- Ummmm....right. Now for the bad.

The bad (that may one day be fixed):
1) The service. I arrived after traveling 24 hours from London and was really run down with an - obvious - cough/cold. At 2pm, they told me my room was not yet ready (annoying, but fine) and that it would be ready in half an hours time. Instead of doing the "we're so sorry for the inconvenience, would you like a free drink?" or something, they told me to just sit and wait. I got lunch at the restaurant (more on that later) and returned after 45 minutes. Room? Oh, the room! No, not ready. Maybe half hour more. I suggested they check with housekeeping which became an exercise in slapstick comedy trying to chase them down, culminating with the front desk assistant herself running up to see if the room was ready. It ended two hours after I initially arrived, with the front desk manager giving me an upgraded room (my original room was still not clean) and at my insistance, my lunch for free. As an aside, I was not the only guest to be room-less for a long period at this hour.
2) Lunch. Service was similarly miserable at lunch; they seemingly didn't understand that I'd like the drink I ordered before my main course was ready. Tea took 15 minutes to brew. The duck salad was edible but little more than that.
3) We didn't get towels the first evening they cleaned our room. And toiletry replenishment was haphazard.
4) They don't seem to have a book of restaurant suggestions and opening times at concierge - it's just based on staff personal experience.

The bad (that seems unfixable):
1) The pillows are literally the hardest pillows I've ever experienced in my 32 years of life on this planet.
2) The comforter would be better suited for use in an unheated ice fishing shack in northern Minnesota than tropical Singapore. There is no "middle option" between not being covered at all at night, ie, light blanket, sheet, and profusely sweating.
3) The walls within the room are extremely thin. The door to the toilet hides the person using it, but, to be blunt, not the sound AT ALL. Would, er, not be good on a romantic weekend if you didn't know that person extremely well (as in, happily married)
4) The pool. Which is very cool looking, but it takes 25 minutes to get served. One would chalk this up to being a new hotel, but that is not the root of the problem. Instead of having a small bar area at the pool, all orders must be shuttled down from the 5th floor to the 1st floor restaurant.

There's alot of hotel options in this price range in Singapore. For the time being, use those options to avoid ParkRoyal on Pickering

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
10 Thank anonymous1226
Dear anonymous1226,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such an honest and detailed review of your visit. I am not going to respond to each of your points because I have to agree that we had some serious chellenges during our first few weeks. One of our biggest challenges was the fact the hotel was extremely popular (busy) very quickly after our opening. While we hoped to be ready from a service perspective, unfortunately we weren't able to cope with the volume. As for the pillows, we do have other options if you find them too firm. We find people have specific tastes when it comes to pilows and that is why we now offer different options. I truly hope we have an opportuity to welcome you back before July though. Thanks again....David
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2013

Parkroyal on Pickering is a new hotel located in Chinatown, about 5-8 minutes walk from the MRT station. There is an exit out of the station to Chinatown Point. You can just walk through the mall and you will find the hotel. There is a hawker centre just opposite the hotel providing affordable food choices.

Checked in by a lady called Hui Shan at the counter. She told me that the hotel is fully booked and I had to wait for a while. I did check the booking sites in the morning and there were lots of rooms available so I am not sure why there was none available. Perhaps some hotels do not allow early check in, but hotels like Ritz Carlton, Conrad, Fairmont do allow so this is something you have to take note of if you intend to check in early. She did not call us back and we went back to the counter half an hour later and was served by a gentleman who said there is a room available. He proceeded to check the room first and we were checked in.

As per the title of this review, I witnessed a lady crying in the lobby and a few staff took turns to pacify her. She was visibly upset with something and kept repeating she wanted to see David, who happens to be the General Manager. She demanded an apology from one of the front desk staff. I do not know what happened but she seemed angry with the staff.

We walked through this open air corridor which connects two buildings on the way to the room and i found it pretty cool. The room itself is reasonably clean. The carpet and the wooden furnishings are reasonably ok but the carpets do look cheap. Shower pressure is immensely weak and pathetic and you can expect to take up to 20 minutes for a bath. Ample amenities are provided. The tv channels are ample but not HD quality and there was no football channel to watch EPL which was disappointing for me. The sound proofing is adequate and it was pretty quiet throughout the stay. Rooms are quite small so don't expect a room that is very spacious.

This hotel has a nice open air lounge on the fifth floor where there are a few bird cages where people can lie inside and relax. Do not book this hotel solely based on this as you can be rest assured you wont get to get in it as there are only a few of them and people stay a few hours inside.

In summary, this is a reasonably good hotel but you might find better choices in this price range.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank InvestorTiger
Dear InvestorTiger,

Thank you for your honest and detailed review of our new hotel. I realize you were one of our early guests and sincerely hope you have an opportunity to experience us again. I am very confident our service levels have improved measurably since those early days. Water temperature and pressure have both improved as well. As far as your wait to check-in, we were in fact experiencing some real challenges getting all our our rooms ready in time during the first few weeks. You will be happy to note that we do allow early check-ins for all of our guests though, as long as the rooms are available. Thanks again....David
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2013

Given this is one of the first reviews of this brand new hotel, I will go into more detail than normal, and I will also grade things with the hotel only being two weeks old in mind.

I was meant to stay for two nights but after a severe flight delay, arrived the following morning. Check-in staff were helpful, and my room was ready straight away. I booked a superior twin, which although only 28 sqm belies its size thanks to high ceilings and clever design.

My room on level 7 (on the side of the building) faced west, with views towards Clarke Quay and the park. The main downside of this aspect is being able to see in to the office building that's on the same property, but is as yet unoccupied. If you can, maybe ask for a room with an atrium view. Once all the greenery that has been planted grows, these rooms would be my pick at the superior level (I was lucky enough to be shown one of them by hotel staff).

The entry to the rooms takes you past an outdoor corridor, a feature that is more Bali than Singapore but very nice. Back inside, it's a quick swipe into you room, where there is a timber entry area (nice and cooling on those tired feet!) with a full-length mirror.

The first thing you notice is that the bathroom is completely open in the superior rooms. But look closer and it can be closed off for privacy - a very clever design feature that makes the room seem larger when it's open, which when travelling alone is pretty much all the time.

There is wood, wood, and more wood everywhere. Light tones of blonde wood, greens and whites give the room an additional feeling if spaciousness. The floor-to-ceiling windows are magnificent and are covered by two layers of blinds, including excellent block outs.

Of course there is much to be said for staying in a brand new hotel - the beds have no lumps, the towels are still fluffy and there are hardly any marks on the walls. A flatscreen TV, plenty of wardrobe space and digitally controlled aircon add to the comforts of the room.

My only criticism about the bedding is that we're in SIngapore, it's 30 degrees and there are thick doonas on the beds. I may inquire about a sheet/blanket set-up for my next stay in two weeks' time.

Location: The hotel lobby contains the greatest hits of the design of this hotel - odes to the Chinatown locale, greenery of Hong Lim Park across the road, and its proximity to the Singapore CBD. In terms of location, the hotel is wonderful, unless you are an Orchard Road worshipper - the MRT trip to Orchard involves a long transfer at Dhoby Ghaut, For everyone else, this hotel has it all in terms of location - walk to Chinatown, walk to Clarke Quay, and short MRT or taxi rides everywhere else.

Dining: I only had a quick breakfast in the Lime restaurant on my arrival, but what I tasted was good, if a little unimaginative. The open kitchen concept means interaction between chef and guest, but it would be nice to see them breaking out a little, especially in the western hot dishes. Still, I had breakfast included in my rate so I am not complaining. I would however hesitate to pay for it if I was on a room only rate.

Facilities: Level 5 is home to the infinity pool and gym and those amazing birdcage cabanas everyone has seen photos of. They are pretty spectacular and not always in use. The gym has good equipment and the day spa is due to open in March. The one thing about the pool area is that it has been designed in a way (accidentally or on purpose) to catch a stiff breeze, so while you don't bake while sitting there, it can get pretty blowy, so hold on to your hat!

Although it lacks the height of say Marina Bay Sands or the Stamford, the Parkroyal (16 floors) has stunning views of the city, especially from level 16, which is only open to Club room guests and VIPs. The Club has a lovely home kitchen feel, with breakfast, high tea and cocktails daily. I only went there for a business meeting so can't comment really more on the quality of food for high tea or breakfast. Hopefully on another stay I will be granted access and can post another review.

In all, this is a great new hotel for people who like modern hotels without too much edginess. Even fans of old-world hotels shouldn't find the Parkroyal too offensive. There are heaps of environmental features, including a living plant wall in reception, but the "greenness" off the hotel isn't too in your face despite its top energy rating.

It will be interesting to see how the greenery matures over coming visits as so much of the hotel is built around the "hotel within a garden" concept. If it's maintained to the highest level it could make for a stunning, unique hotel on the Singapore skyline. I would definitely stay again and recommend the hotel to those seeking a change from the concrete skyscrapers that dominate the skyline.

(* Disclaimer: I will be writing a professional review of this hotel for the newspaper where I work, but I have paid for all my own travel on this trip.)

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the hotel's interior will be the pick once the trees have had time to grow. Yo...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Melissa S
Dear jetfueljunkie,

WOW, that was one of the most thoughtful and detailed reviews I have ever read! Thank you so much for taking the time to educate everyone on our new hotel. You described the hotel better than I do and it wasn't until the end of your review that I realized you are a professional jounalist... Even more impressive that you took the time to write such a detailed overview.

Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back. You'll be happy to know the landscaping has almost completely grown in....David