“Great hotel, but disappointing experience”

PARKROYAL on Pickering
Ranked #25 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 10 June 2013

We usually stay on Orchard Rd but on this trip decided to try something different. We had also recently joined the GHA Discovery loyalty programme which includes Anantara hotels (Anantara Bali is amazing) and Park Royal. We thus selected the Park Royal on Kitchener.

The location is great, next to China Town and near the Clarke Quay nightlife. The hotel design is spectacular and quite unique, and all the enviromentally friendly initiatives are fantastic.

Our 15th floor room was a bit small and the bathroom miniscule, but overall very clean and comfortable (although the pillows are unbelievably hard, wow!). We also had a great view across the city. We booked an Orchid Club package which includes access to the exclusive 16th floor lounge - the breakfast here is average with limited choices, but the afternoon tea and evening drinks and canapes are fantastic. The views from here are also lovely and the outdoor patios very peaceful. Together with the excellent service we received, the lounge is definitely a worthwhile benefit.

The rim flow swimming pool on the 5th floor is spectacular and an evening swim surrounded by the city lights, followed by a rest in one of the space age-style "pods" is highly recommended. The gym next to the pool is also well equipped and the service is excellent.

On arrival we expected priority check-in as part of the Club package, but instead had to queue for quite a while (minor gripe though). However, we then unfortunately had a disappointing experience on check-out - we had asked for a late check out (11pm) as our flight was only at 2am. We were told we could stay until 6pm for half the room rate and thereafter pay full price. I totally agreed that we needed to pay for the additional time but asked if we could move to a standard room/ package as we did not require all the Orchid Club benefits on the last day (and obviously wouldn't be there for breakfast). The staff member had a really bad attitude and said the hotel was full so basically take it or leave it (later I checked online and was easily able to book a standard room). We decided to "leave it" as we were not prepared to pay for Club services we didn't require and the attitude was really annoying. We thus checked out and got a day room at half the rate on Orchard Rd. However the inconvenience of having to pack and move hotels messed up our plans for our last day in Singapore, so really not impressed with Park Royal.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RosG101
David-PARKROYAL, General Manager at PARKROYAL on Pickering, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2013

Dear RosG101, thank you for sharing your recent experience at our hotel. While I’m happy to know that you enjoyed the room and our outdoor pool area on the 5th floor, I am disappointed to read about your negative experience.
I sincerely apologise on behalf of the front office staff, this should not happen and rest assured I will look into this matter personally. If there is anything further you would like to share with me please contact me directly at david.sullivan@parkroyalhotels.com. I hope to welcome you and your partner back to PARKROYAL on Pickering in the future for a more successful experience…David

Reviewed 10 June 2013

The hotel staff are very courteous and helpful as soon as I arrived at the lobby. The location of the hotel is so serene even it is located in the heart of the city. The foods at Lime are excellent and there's so much food to choose from. The infinity pool is great and the whole facilities are clean. My four (4) days stay is one of the best vacation that I have enjoyed and I've been looking forward for another visit/stay at Park Royal on Pickering.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank isitokey08
Reviewed 10 June 2013

We stayed at Parkroyal on Pickering for 3 nights.
The taxi driver told us that there are few Parkroyal in Singapore, make sure to let them know it's on Pickering.

We paid extra SG$20 per night to upgrade for the deluxe room.
We love the design of the room, so comfort.
The bath tub is nice, but we didn't use it as we saw hairs in it.

Our room rate included breakfast, we have our breakfast at the restrurant - Lime, but there were too crowd in the morning. Also the staffs will clear all the food at 10:30am sharp, make sure to get there earlier.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank chungkk

Dear Chungkk, thank you for taking the time to share your review. I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed the rooms and I apologise about the bathtub. I have shared your feedback with the relevant department for their review. I look forward to welcoming you back soon…David

Reviewed 9 June 2013

I stayed on the 15th floor and had a great view of the city. Chinatown is a few blocks away and comes alive at night. Clark Quay is a taxi ride for $7 and at night it is full of life and music and food. The hotel was elegant, eco friendly and the restaurant provided good food. Staff was helpful and the 16th floor bar is a treat. The pool is great for laps and the cabana's are tremendous to sit out and work on your laptop or tablet. As compared to USA hotels when you get off the elevator, you walk to your room in an open walkway but it is appointed with lots of greenery. Lighting in the room is state of the art and the sliding walls make for a innovative but comfortable room. The window shades are electric and really darken the outside. The only reason for any complaint was the breakfast lady was super hyper and picked up my food while I was getting more to eat and had cleaned up my place already. She apologized and got me lots of coffee

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

Dear Brewski00, thank you for sharing your great review with us on TripAdvisor. I’m glad to know you took advantage of our location to explore the neighbouring Chinatown and Clark Quay, two of my favourite places in Singapore. At PARKROYAL on Pickering, we have 15,000 square metres of lofty sky gardens and lush greenery, twice the total land area, making this truly a hotel-in-a-garden. Sounds like you enjoyed our birdcage cabanas on the 5th floor pool area. They are unique! I am delighted to hear that your stay was pleasant and look forward to welcoming you again in the not too distant future…David

Reviewed 8 June 2013

I have stayed three times in this hotel for a reasonable amount of time. It is a superb hotel. The staff are very helpful, the rooms are nice and comfortable and the breakfast is good (although if you spend a lot of time here it gets a bit boring after a while but that is a very minor gripe). It is only a few minutes from both Clark and Boat quay and right beside China Town. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel.

Other minor gripe:The gym only opens at 6am but there are always people in there before anyway. Not sure why its so as its a new hotel so I would have thought the noise is not an issues for those floors below.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

Dear Businesstravellerr8, thanks for making PARKROYAL on Pickering your preferred choice of stay. It’s encouraging to know you’ve been back to our hotel to stay for three times already. Thanks for the recommendation on TripAdvisor, I am delighted to learn that you thoroughly enjoyed every stay at our hotel and look forward to be of service to you again…David

Reviewed 7 June 2013

I booked this hotel with some reservations, given earlier reviews since it opened. Fortunately, all the problems mentioned in these reviews seem to have been resolved. The hotel is spectacular, the room was perfect, service was top-notch and very friendly, and the restaurant was everything a hotel of this caliber should be.

While the room rates are still reasonable, I can see them rising in time, as this hotel is ideally situated, two blocks from Chinatown, about four from Clark Quay, and maybe a half hour from Marina Bay. The subway is a two minute walk away.

The pool area (on the 4th floor, if I remember correctly) is quite comfortable, with a great view of the city, but there are two downsides: the sun hits the pool area only until about 1:00 p.m., and there is no bar. Drinks can be ordered, but the waiters have to go to the main floor to get them, so you have to be patient. You can only get bottled water at the pool. But a beautiful setting indeed.

Be prepared to pay. Drinks and food are very expensive ($33 SGD for breakfast!), but then this is SIngapore.

The one thing that I absolutely deplore is that there is a 10% service charge on everything, including the room rate, and this money does not go directly to your servers. I think this policy is absolutely wrong.

Overall, I would not hesitate to stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jeanlap

Dear Jeanlap, thank you for your comment. I’m glad you took advantage of our wonderful location and explored the neighbourhood. It is my pleasure to have you as our guest and I am pleased that our hotel did not disappoint. I look forward to welcoming you back soon for another memorable hotel experience. Thanks…David

Reviewed 5 June 2013

I had an amazing stay at ParkRoyal hotel. Very modern and relaxed atmosphere which mainly made me choose the hotel. Location was perfect: MRT station just a few meters away, Clarke Quay bars and restaurants 10min away by walk, in the Chinatown neighborhood. Staff: smiling, nice and very helpful. Food: breakfast was really good and nice cocktails at the Lime bar. Room: it offerred all amenities I expected, wifi, very comfy bed, view on the park and the city (from 8th floor), one thing: I had to run the hot water for a bit before it actually gets hot. Swimming pool was nice, personally I went early in the morning at sunrise...beautiful and no one is around.

If I every go back to Singapore, I definitely would stay at ParkRoyal again.

Room Tip: Premier Double room with view on the park and the city (8th floor and plus)