“Just what Singapore needed. A quality hotel in the actual CBD” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of PARKROYAL on Pickering

PARKROYAL on Pickering
Ranked #18 of 309 Hotels in Singapore
Singapore
“Just what Singapore needed. A quality hotel in the actual CBD”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

I used to live in Singapore for eight years. I set up a branch office of our company here and chose China Square Central to do it.

I was always frustrated with having to fly overseas staff into Singapore and put them up in brand name hotels which were a 10 to 20 minute cab ride away from the office.

I wanted our staff to walk to the office. Why not? All our clients are also nearby the office (UBS, Barclays, Deutsche, RBS Morgan Stanley etc). Maybe staff would have a meeting at 8am and want to walk from the hotel to the client after having quick 7:15am breakfast at the hotel.

I did not want them having to worry about catching a cab for an early morning meeting.

What if it was raining in the monsoon season and they could not catch a cab.... (experience from living in SP taught me that)

Solved.

Parkroyal on Pickering was built. We waited for the construction to finish. We watched the hotel go up outside our office window in real-time. Our Singapore staff said....call them now...call them now - the hotel will be open in six months. Get a corporate account.

I did and we have never looked back.

5 mins walk to our office.

What our overseas staff have been saying.

- Love the Orchid Club rooms and restaurant.
- Breakfast is important as they are often in meetings during the lunch period
- 2 pieces of laundry per day is an excellent idea - and a great incentive for staying longer
- Internet is always reliable and fast
- Gym is the best ever "Great equipment...thank you for choosing Technogym"

There were a few start up issues, but you seem to be working on them. Its clear you are
improving each week.

I now have staff staying for long periods each week. Even our company owner and CEO
flew from New York and stayed at your hotel last week. He loved it.

The only issue we are finding is it is hard to book a room at short notice - under a week.

Other than that...keep it up !

A great hotel for the regular business traveler.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JetsetterinAsia
Hans-PARKROYAL, General Manager at PARKROYAL on Pickering, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Dear JetsetterinAsia, thank you for making PARKROYAL on Pickering your preferred choice of stay. I am pleased to know that you recognised the hotel's great location and that your colleagues from overseas were able to make full use of our Orchid Club privileges. Your positive feedback is certainly encouraging and we continue to seek for improvement towards excellence. Hans

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (453)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

Our club room wasn't cheap (over $400 a night), but you get what you pay for. Beautiful room, great service, fantastic canapés and cocktails in the evening are included, as well as an extensive and interesting buffet breakfast. They even bring you a cool drink while you are checking in. If you want to stay somewhere special in Singapore, this is well worth a try.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank bagfromthebay
Hans-PARKROYAL, General Manager at PARKROYAL on Pickering, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Dear bagfromthebay, thank you for your review. I'm very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay including the entire suite of Orchid Club privileges. We look forward to welcoming you back soon! Hans
Melbourne Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

I stayed here last week. There are a lot of reviews on this hotel, so I maybe repeating what others have said.
Firstly I would like to commend the staff here. The staff out the front were always welcoming and willing to give advice on transportation, sites, places to eat and shop. I was always greeted with a smile and a good morning, afternoon or night.
Breakfast at the buffet was overwhelming with attention to detail. (I am sure I put on an extra 5kg)
Unfortunately my stay was not long enough and only spent a short time in the pool area which is spectacular.
The design of the building is second to none. The room was always cleaned and refreshed when I arrived back in the afternoon. I didn't have an evening meal there but the Lime Room is something else. I would return here without question.
Thank you Parkroyal.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Superior room twin share, but if I had a choice I would have selected a Deluxe room...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Dianne1952
Dear Dianne1952, thank you for sharing your recent experience at our hotel. I am delighted to read that you appreciated the welcoming comfort and that the team took very good care of you and your family. I agree that the infinity pool on Level 5 is a must-try for all our guests and I hope you will have the chance to spend a longer time there the next time you visit us. Hans
Tha Hague
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

This is one of the most inspiring new hotels I have seen in a while... the building is amazing! Vertical gardens, horizontal arcades, discontinuities, and contorns all of which make you feel like you are in an alarmingly natural building... its like nature is growing around you... the rooms a beautiful (not huge) but this is Singapore. Hotel is very new and so service is great... the pool and public areas are all great and the CLUB is well worth it... great views and lovely service - albeit breakfast finishing too early and Laundry taking too long and costing too much...

Room Tip: GO for the top floors... ideally the CLUB rooms... 14th floor and above!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Martinius34
Dear Martinius34, thanks for the great review. With more than 15,000 square metres of lofty sky gardens, trees and lush greenery, PARKROYAL on Pickering is truly a hotel-in-a-garden. I’m pleased to hear that you had a chance to enjoy our infinity pool and Orchid Club Lounge, definitely two of the best places to relax and unwind. The team and I look forward to welcoming you again in the not too distant future. Hans
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

Stayed in the junior suite for two days. Room is quite big, love the room design, gives a warm and homely feel. The windows in the room huge and it lights up the room nicely during the day and at night it gives a pretty good view of the city. Nice bathroom where the toilet can be separated from the shower area via a sliding door. Only complain would be the tub is rather small.

The club lounge was wonderful as they provide club access guests with morning breakfast, afternoon tea and evening cocktails. Located on the 16th floor (highest) of the hotel it provides a 180 degree view of the city area. Once could catch a glimpse of the esplanade, Singapore Flyer and the floating platform from one corner of the lounge. Lounge staff were very friendly and attentive. Would recommend getting the club access if budget allows.

Lime is the only other F&B outlet in the hotel, it is also the place where you have your breakfast in the morning. Offer a quite a decent spread but nothing fantastic in fact a little boring was expecting a little more from them. Hotel is conveniently located in Chinatown and walking distance to boat quay and clarke quay where there are plenty of food outlet to choose from.

There is one thing to take note. When washing the tea press provided in the room please check if the glass pot is tightly secured to the plastic handle. Ours came off and shattered to pieces when my wife was washing which resulted in an additional SGD30 when we checked out.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank zwx86
Dear zwx86, I am very happy to read you enjoyed the overall experience and I have noted your comments on the breakfast spread at Lime. You will be glad to know that I am reviewing it with my culinary team as we speak. Thanks again for sharing your feedback with us. It is only through feedback like yours that we are able to constantly adapt and improve our services. Hans
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

I am currently staying at this property as I write this review so that my feedback is as fresh as it can be :-)

Good
- WOW. Seriously. I posted on facebook and instagram that this is the most beautifully designed hotel I have ever seen. Modesty aside, I have travelled quite a bit around the world and this hotel really blew me away. The modern design is amazing. The meticulous attention to design detail is really impressive.
- The rooms are smaller than usual hotel rooms of this class but is still of decent size. First time for me to stay in a hotel room which has automated day and night blinds.
- The open-air hallway leading to the hotel rooms with the vertical garden on the walls are eco friendly and at the same time beautifully designed. I would love to stay in a room in the open hallway the next time I stay here.
- Pool is awesome. The cocoon-like "hanging" couches are something very unique. They even served free fruits to guests. Bathroom at the pool with the steam bath were also very nice.
- the lobby, the hallway, and the lime restaurant are very nice. even seating area in the lobby are unique and quirky.
- Overall the design is really top notch. well thought of. high class and expensive looking.

Bad (in the spirit of being fair as no hotel is perfect)
- the pool is small for a hotel this size. i think the lounge area beside the pool is wasted area. they could have extended the pool all the way to that side. seating area and lounges at the pool are also not enough.
- the waiter/staff situated at the pool was a bit rude. although i felt it wasnt his intention but he came across as rude. the thing is prior to entering the pool area to register our names, he kept on telling us that the pool was crowded and there was no seating. i told him its ok and i even said i can put my stuff on the floor. he said are you sure? as if he wanted to tell us not to go in and come back another time. of course we still went. we couldnt help but think that if we were caucasian would he have treated us the same (as we were the only asians in the pool that time).
- there is no bidet in the hotel room bathroom. some of us asians are not used to toilet paper only hehe.

After everything I've said, this hotel is still getting the highest marks I've ever given in all my hotel reviews here. Highly recommended. I will definitely come back. For the price we paid, it is very much worth it.

*I can't feedback about the buffet breakfast as I have yet to try it (tomorrow we will) but Im sure it would be good :-)

Room Tip: You may want to try the rooms at the open-air hallway with the vertical gardens
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Shan_Abellaneda
Dear Shan_Abellaneda, thank you for sharing your great review with us on TripAdvisor! The physical architecture and design have indeed injected a "breath of fresh air" to the Singapore skyline and I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed the stay. We take great pride at the PARKROYAL on Pickering in delivering genuine, relaxed and personalised service. Obviously you did not receive that and for that, I sincerely apologise. I appreciate your patience and we look forward to welcoming you back soon. Hans
Norwich
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

This newly built hotel is an excellent base for families, couples or individual travellers. The extremely comfortable bedrooms cater for your every need. You even have an electrical plug in the room safe. Ideal for leaving cameras and iPads securely charging. Centrally situated but you still get a peaceful nights sleep in enormously sized comfy beds. The staff are wonderful and can't do enough for you. The only small issue is the sometimes noisy open plan dining facilities. However the ambience is great and the wide range of dishes and quality of food on offer more than makes up for this minor issue.

Room Tip: We were on the sixth floor and this was perfect. However, the hotel is so well designed that I am su...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank TWEastEngland
Dear TWEastEngland, thank you for sharing your positive experience with us. It’s always rewarding to hear from our happy guests and and we hope to remain your hotel of choice during your next visit. Hans