“Looks great. Service needs work.”

PARKROYAL on Pickering
Ranked #21 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Lambertville, New Jersey
“Looks great. Service needs work.”
Reviewed 22 December 2013

There’s a lot to like about this new hotel in Singapore. It’s got a terrific location on the edge of the CBD and Chinatown. Its commitment to being environmentally friendly (which includes use of foliage all throughout the hotel, even on the outside which is probably its most distinctive feature) is appealing. It’s a pretty hotel – public spaces are airy and rooms, while very very small, are efficiently designed. I would suggest that if space matters, you upgrade yourself to a higher category (as well, the cheapest – and by no means is this an inexpensive hotel -- rooms having tiny shower-only bathrooms). The in-house restaurant has gorgeous buffets and even does a terrific pizza. Overall, there’s a very contemporary, hip ambience about the place.

I’m glad I tried the ParkRoyal. But on my next visit to Singapore I’m probably going to go back to the Fairmont, my old standby, for one reason: Service. It was really inconsistent at the ParkHotel and it led to an irritation factor that I really did not need during a whirlwind business trip. There’s little urgency about anything when you call the front desk (a request for a room change on arrival took over two hours, and several requests for an ETA over a several hour period). In the restaurant for dinner one night, we were seated promptly, and we ordered. That went fine. But it took eons for the pasta dish (something simple, I don’t remember what) to arrive, and we never saw a server we could ask about it. I literally was thinking the kitchen had lost the order when it arrived. And then it took forever for a server to notice we were finished – and when we asked to order dessert we were told the kitchen was closed. If it hadn’t taken 1.5 hours to get through the entrée it wouldn’t have been closed!

Seriously stupid.

It’s important to note, however, that the hotel’s club lounge was beautifully operated – great staff there, lovely facilities (including private terraces). Very good value for money (breakfast and canapés, plus all-day beverages and evening cocktails).

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Hans-PARKROYAL, General Manager at PARKROYAL on Pickering, responded to this review, 26 December 2013
Dear Carolyn S, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I truly appreciate the honesty of your remarks and please be assured that I am personally investigating the incidents. The team at PARKROYAL on Pickering takes great pride in delivering genuine, relaxed and personalised service. Obviously you did not receive that and for that, I sincerely apologise. If there is anything further you would like to share with me, please contact me directly at hans.heijligers@pphg.com. Hans

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (492)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Booked 3 premier rooms stay for 3 nights for my family members. overall nice modern design hotel & room, spacious, centralised location & easy to travel around with convenient public transportation. highly recommendation

Room Tip: center room near elevator & high floor with nice city view
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank JJ N
Dear JJ N, thank you for recommending PARKROYAL on Pickering on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to know that you recognised the hotel's great location and I hope your family members enjoyed their stay. Your positive feedback is certainly encouraging and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon! Hans
Singapore
Reviewed 20 December 2013 via mobile

I tried to make a dining reservation for the festive period. An e-mail was sent to me what particulars was needed. I send in my particulars and payment details, and there was some hiccups. The staff only contacted me once but could not rectify the problem. After which, nobody bothered to call or solve the problem. Haiz. Since nobody bothered, I just e-mail back to cancel my reservation. Waste of my time.

Stayed December 2013
Hans-PARKROYAL, General Manager at PARKROYAL on Pickering, responded to this review, 28 December 2013
Dear SingaporeRookie, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are regretful to learn of your experience and would like to invite you to contact me directly at hans.heijligers@pphg.com to follow up on the matters concerned. This is definitely not acceptable and I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused. Hans
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Stayed here as a couple for the second time now and will keep coming back on every trip to Singapore.

Rooms- great sized rooms. Soft comfortable king sized beds. A touch of luxury in the rooms with touch buttons on all switches. A wide selection of tv channels if you decide to stay in the room and chillax for the afternoon.

Staff- polite and always more than willing to assist when needed. Smile on everyone's faces makes us feel welcome all the time we return to the hotel.

Amenities- chinatown mall is next building with basic shopping, chemist and local brekkie available. Central building is only 5-minute walk with more shops available. The bus and a train station is also a 2-min walk from the hotel. Pool and gym floor is also a nice area to chill out with friends to enjoy the sun set in the concrete jungle.

No brainer if you like a touch of luxury and comfortable night after your fun-packed day in Singapore city.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear FerozNikka, it's always nice to hear from our repeat guests. I am glad you enjoyed the welcoming comfort of our PARKROYAL people. Thank you for acknowledging our efforts and we look forward to your next visit. Hans
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 17 December 2013

We did a one night staycation in this new property in Dec 13. We got a good deal for a Club room with lounge access on the 16th floor.

The room we had was at a corner, with hardly any view, but was in full view of anyone walking in the corridor, hence, we had to bring down the night shades all the time.

The room is compact but very well designed. We admire hotels that take care of little details that can either please or annoy the guest. Little touches like bedside switches on both sides, light switches in convenient places (without one having to hunt high and low for it), USB charging for gadgets by the table, plugs in drawer of hair dryer etc

The bathroom area is cleverly designed such that when not in use, the partition wall to the bathroom can be slid open to reveal more space. When needed, it can be closed up to ensure privacy.

We spent most of our time in the Club lounge on the 16th floor. Most of the time, there were only 2-3 other guests there. With the high ceiling, ceiling to floor window, large space, comfortable sofas and attentive staff (we were every well taken care of by Hannah and Twinkle), it makes one just want to stay up there all the time!

The pool and spa is on the 5th floor. Surprisingly for a relatively large property, there was not many people at the pool area. Once u come out of the lift, on the left is the pool area, on the right, it's a relatively large area with the bird cage gazebos, and generous lounge sofas. Most of the time, we are about the only guests there.

This is a very comfortable hotel, and it is certainly worth it to pay a little extra for the club lounge access.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear OrangeWhale, thank you for the positive review and in particular for highlighting our team from the Orchid Club! Twinkle and Hannah were very excited to read your review. I’m also very happy to hear that you enjoyed the modern comforts and innovative touches in our guestrooms, and I look forward to welcoming you back for another refreshing experience soon. Hans.
Petaling Jaya, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
Reviewed 16 December 2013

there is complimentary coffee in the room and there some milk/creamer capsule which is a nice thing but most of the capsule look dirty not sure why and the 2nd capsule that i open are solid and there is like some visible spot stain at the bedding area

don't go for corporate rate it is much expensive and less than what you'll get from you book a room online !

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Tom_Chooi
Kathmandu, Nepal
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Being overwhelmed by the choice of hotels in Singapore we opted for Parkroyal on Pickering. It has a splendid architecture both from the outside and inside. It is very modern and cozy at the same time. I was astonished by its outside lounge area next to the pool. I liked the way it was possible to adjust lightning in the room. I was fond of the big windows giving lots of light. Small disadvantage was a bit chaotic service during breakfast especially when waves of people appeared, then the staff were a bit lost.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Hans-PARKROYAL, General Manager at PARKROYAL on Pickering, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Dear Radek R, thank you for sharing your great review with us! I am delighted to hear that you had a pleasant stay and particularly enjoyed the infinity pool on our dedicated wellness floor. My team and I certainly look forward to welcoming you back for another refreshing experience in the near future. Hans