“Nothing to write home about”

PARKROYAL on Pickering
Ranked #25 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 23 March 2014

It sounds quite grand but was a little disappointing. And as all hotels in Singapore - very expensive. Check in was slow and I took the very crowded lift to my floor. The room was quite well appointed and I liked the open air corridor to access it but why so dark? I ended up putting all the lights on that I could find so that I could move about the room.

The breakfast buffet was adequate but not great. You use the same restaurant for the meal in the evening - again buffet style although with a la carte optional. There was certainly more than enough to eat but none of it particularly great.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Graham B
Gino-PARKROYAL, General Manager at PARKROYAL on Pickering, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Dear Graham B, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. I was happy to read that you enjoyed the guestroom and open corridors but disappointed to hear about your experience with the crowded lift and check-in process I have shared your feedback with the team for their review and it is only through feedback like yours that we are able to constantly adapt and improve our services. Thank you for your patience and we look forward to be of service to you again. Gino

Reviewed 23 March 2014

An ultra modern new hotel in Singapore. Rooms are all very modern with all the mod-cons - sensor touch controls, lots of modern wood fittings (remains to be seen how it will wear after the knocks from luggage etc). Location is great for Chinatown and Clarke Quay. MTR is close by to get to Orchard Rd and Marina Bay ( if you want something more central to these areas try hotels near Raffles City). Service from staff is "adequate".
We only had breakfast on one of the mornings of our 4 day stay - some buffet dishes were cold so be wary. It still amazes us that hotels in Singapore charge exhorbetent prices for things like a cup of coffee, and ParkRoyal is no different - $9 !! Go outside for coffee! And maybe meals, depending on your expectations.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Gino-PARKROYAL, General Manager at PARKROYAL on Pickering, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear JohnCarruthers, thank you for sharing your experience with us and I look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back soon. Gino.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Watched this hotel grow literally from the ground where i passed by daily to my office in One George! This building is a marvel from my office window and so are the people running the show. From the attentive doorman to the friendly check in staff, most recently Halisa who went out of the way to offer me a drink with her delightful smile, i was melted!! She got Steven (from Korea) to assist me with the bags even though they were just carry ons! Wow! Steven brought me up in no time and showed me the room. Breakfast options were plenty and housekeeping took care of my room well over the weekend. The operator without hesitation provided me a late check out to 1pm.

• Stayed: March 2014

Dear FridayGuy77, thank you for making PARKROYAL on Pickering your preferred choice and I am most pleased to learn of your commendation towards our team for the quality of service. Your positive feedback is certainly encouraging and we continue to seek for improvement towards excellence. It will be my pleasure to welcome you back for another memorable hotel experience in the near future. Gino

Reviewed 22 March 2014

We stayed for two nights in this spectacular hotel and loved every minute of it. Staff was very friendly and helped wherever they could. The architecture is simply stunning, our deluxe room was on the 11th floor with a wonderful view over the city, nice layout, comfortable beds, large bath. The swimming pool is nice as well with the well equipped fitness room right next to it.
The "clean and green" philosophy is implemented on all the aspects of the facility: Plants everywhere, recyclable glass water bottle in the room, many natural materials used for construction and decoration. We didn't book the breakfast, as there are many options nearby.
Also many dining and shopping places are in close proximity. We will definitely come back!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear CuriousNik, thank you for the glowing review. I’m delighted to read that the hotel has left a very positive impression. It is even more rewarding to know that you will be back to stay with us again and I will certainly look forward to your next visit. Gino

Reviewed 22 March 2014

Stayed at the Park Royal on Pickering between Christmas & New Year. Have visited Singapore on a few occasions for both work & pleasure, and this has been my preferred hotel by far.
Hotel is ideally located between China Town & Clarke Quay, both within easy walking distance.

The Club Rooms are well worth the money, giving you access to Orchard Lounge on the top floor which included free cocktails between 1800 and 2000 each day. Breakfast was also good in the Club Lounge, less selection than the dining downstairs, but not no where near as busy. There is also an outside roof terrace with views over Singapore.

The infinity pool has a very modern look, with futuristic looking pods to shelter from the sun in.

This is a new hotel, with a very modern look - well worth a visit.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Buchanma, thank you for making PARKROYAL on Pickering your preferred hotel in Singapore. It's great that you had the opportunity to enjoy the Orchid Club and it will be our pleasure to welcome you back for another memorable stay in the not-too-distant future. Gino

Reviewed 22 March 2014

I loved this hotel! We arrived after a month travelling and camping in Africa and I really wanted a few days of luxury. Well we sure did get it!!! After arriving at 6 am the hotel kindly checked us in so we could get some sleep. Once we awoke and took in our surrounds we found the hotel has been so beautifully and cleverly designed and extremely well built. From the gorgeous gardens outside every room and in the lobby, to the infinity pool overlooking the skyline, the hotel was just a delight to be in.
We stayed in a standard room and had a HUGE King size bed, made from two double beds. Pillows were slightly overfilled feather pillows so a little high, otherwise bed was great.
Food was delicious and service excellent. I ordered Nasi Goreng from the in-room dining menu, not expecting much. When it arrived I was so excited to find huge prawns and squid, plus two satay sticks and krupuk (crackers). YUM! Breakfast was an incredible array and variety. From English to Asian, pastries, salads and cheeses. I didn't get to try everything. That would take more than the three nights we stayed!

My only complaints are
1) The concierge sold us 'second hand' tickets (dated from a few months ago) to Singapore Zoo, River Safari and Night Safari at a 'discount' rate that was MORE than at the gate (we checked the price when we arrived to find we paid $12 extra). Also the River Safari was not operating on that day and we could not get our tickets refunded! Don't buy from the concierge, get them yourself.
2) I treated myself in the spa to a Wellness package that included body scrub, facial and massage. Scrub was good, though little attention was paid to my poor worn out feet that were in much need of attention. I chose Balinese massage and the lady generally followed the routine, but seemed wonder off here and there, stop the massage and then start again, so the massage seemed disjointed. One rule of Balinese massage is NEVER lose contact with the client's skin during the massage. Also some elements were missing that make Balinese massage unique, such as hand rolling, finger pulling, pressure points and massage to scalp and face. Instead I think I got extra agonising torture to my back. :-(

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 March 2014

This hotel was going to receive an absolutely glowing report - and it still will for the most part. The check out experience did let it down, but more of that later.

The hotel itself is simply stunning. Its architecture is one-of-a-kind and the atmosphere created by the architectural details and greenery is incredibly serene. It does mean that every photography class in Singapore seems to pass through its door on a regular basis and sometimes you did have to fight your way past the cameras in the lobby to get to the lifts, but it is worth seeing.

The hotel is also incredibly well located in the centre of Singapore and its easy to get around to the CBD and all of the sights.

I stayed in a deluxe room that opened out onto an open corridor. Initially it was a little disturbing to exit the room and find yourself outside, but I soon became used to it. The room was not actually that large, but there was a very clever use of space with the furniture layout, built-ins and the very high ceiling and enormous windows made it feel light and airy.

The bathroom was simply lovely. The separate shower and bath, the lovely design and the high quality toiletries made this a beautiful place to spend time. I particularly liked the bath with was very deep,long and comfortable. If I could only have seen the TV from the bath I may never have left it.

I upgraded to include access to the Orchid Lounge Access which was well worth the extra. The breakfast, tea and dinner options were fantastic. The staff were absolutely lovely and took the time to learn you name and remember your drink of choice. It also has stunning views over Singapore and I loved spending the early evenings watching the sunset over Singapore.

There is one thing to be aware of. The windows are not tinted and you can see into them very clearly. Fortunately I did read the small card on the desk explaining this - but judging by the view I got one morning at breakfast I suspect not everyone reads these cards and perhaps it might be a good idea for the check-in staff to point this out!

The only downside to this hotel was the mix-up over the bill - with a serious overcharge made which hadn't been on the bill that I was asked to review. It took me more than two days of calling and emailing to get through to the right person to get this rectified - it has now been done - but I recommend you don't try a quick check-out so that you can make sure everything is ok before you leave the building.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear Brit-abroad-in-Asia, thank you for sharing your feedback with us. While it sounds like overall you enjoyed your visit, I sincerely apologise for the billing hiccup. Thank you for your patience and I look forward to welcoming you back again for a more successful experience soon. Gino