“WONDERFUL OASIS IN THE HEART OF SINGAPORE”

PARKROYAL on Pickering
Ranked #23 of 319 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We have just returned home after spending 6 days at the lovely ParkRoyal on Pickering. We had just finished a 20 day cruise before booking in at the ParkRoyal and when we arrived at 10am we were immediately shown to our superior king bed room which was on a corner of one of the towers on the 13th floor. The room was sunny and airy and the bathroom was divided into three with a separate shower, separate toilet and with the hand basin in the centre. The views from both the bedroom and the bathroom were incredible.

The bed was fantastic and we slept really well especially as the blinds lockout all the light at night. The room was also very quiet considering we were in the heart of Singapore.

We had booked a Club Lounge room and we did enjoy spending time up in the Lounge. The food was fantastic and the drinks were plentiful. The staff up in the Lounge were exceptional and were so kind as to present us with a cake and candle and two glasses of champagne when it was our 50th wedding anniversary. They could not do enough for us and each of the girls went out of their way to make our stay so delightful. We have used many club lounges over the years and the ParkRoyal lounge would have to be one of the best we have ever used.

The pool area is beautiful and we spent time reading and relaxing around the pool. The MRT was so close, we used the Chinatown Station but Clark Quay MRT is nearly as close in the other direction. From the MRT we could get to anywhere in Singapore. The ParkRoyal is also only a block or so from the Clark Quay bars and restaurants and 2 blocks from the heart of Chinatown.

We loved the little extras such as the 2 pieces of free laundry each day, the free internet and the morning paper.

The only fault we could find was that the wardrobe in our bedroom was only a single and it was just very hard to fit our clothes into such a small wardrobe. We realize that this hotel is mainly for business people or for those on short stays but to have such a small wardrobe in a new 5 star hotel seemed a bit mean.

Room Tip: A corner room has great views.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Aussiegal15
Gino-PARKROYAL, General Manager at PARKROYAL on Pickering, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Dear Aussiegal15, congratulations on your 50th wedding anniversary. We are honoured to be a part of your celebration! Thank you for recommending PARKROYAL on Pickering onTripadvisor and it will be my pleasure to welcome you back again for another memorable hotel experience soon. Gino

Reviewed 14 April 2014

After a long flight from the UK we arrived early in the morning at the hotel. The staff found us a lovely room which was ready to occupy and check in was smooth and efficient. Our room on the 9th floor was reached via lift and external walkway offering great views of the city. The room itself was spacious and modern with sliding doors to the bathroom/shower which could be pushed back if required.

We were using the Singapore Airlines Stopover package and stayed in the hotel for two nights. The first night we ate in the hotel using half price meal vouchers, the meal was chosen from a limited a la carte menu and service was quick and efficient even though the restaurant was busy.

There was a pool on the fifth floor which we did not use although we used the changing / shower facilities before departing for the Airport on the next leg of our journey.

This modern hotel is conveniently situated for sightseeing and transport links are excellent. The MRT Station (Chinatown) was a five minute walk away and Clarke Quay MRT not much further.

The hotel is fabulous and we loved our stay - we would not hesitate to use again or recommend to others. The staff are extremely pleasant and helpful and this makes a difference when you are a long way from home.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JeanRoger1

Dear JeanRoger1, thanks for the glowing review. Great to hear that you enjoyed your stay and thanks again for making PARKROYAL on Pickering your preferred choice of stay. I look forward to your next visit and perhaps you might be able to set aside more time to enjoy the infinity pool and facilities at our dedicated wellness floor. Gino

Reviewed 14 April 2014

I've stayed at this hotel twice while on business in Singapore. The first time was great - what a gem. I loved everything about this hotel: rooms, breakfast, service, etc. So it made sense to book here again when I needed to take another trip to Singapore for business.

However, I just recently stayed a second time in March and had a different experience. As most US flights get into Singapore late (my flight arrived at 1 AM) I booked a room for the previous day so that I could check right-in and get some sleep before my meetings. When I arrived, they told me that they did not have my room type available. Instead of offering an upgrade, she made some changes and told me the room had a king bed. I went up to the room and the room type was a twin -- two twin beds to be frank. I went down to the lobby, she shuffled through some papers and assigned me to a second room with a "king" bed. After bringing my luggage back down and up to another floor, I quickly realized that the room type was again a twin bed. Had I not spent 20+ hours traveling to Singapore and was a bit smaller in size - I might not have cared. However, I marched back down to the front desk, as polite as I could be for now 2 AM, and asked for a king bed room. She told this time that they only had a handicap room but that it indeed had a king bed. Again, luggage up and down once more, to a handicap room. Surprise, a twin room yet again. This time I called down to the front desk and expressed my discontent. I waited in the room for 20 minutes before someone came to move me and my bags to the room type I reserved. Finally, I had a king bed. The front desk told me for my troubles that they would be providing breakfast for the day three stay. I agreed this was the least they could do for the trouble they caused me in the middle of the night!

Come time to check-out and the three day breakfast charges were on my bill. The manager argued over the charges with me and told me he would follow-up by email. The next day he emailed me to tell me that the charges for breakfast would be applied to my card. After sending an email notifying them that I would not be paying the breakfast charges as this is not the expectation that was set, I've yet to hear back.

A few things I learned: if you pay an extra night to ensure a room type, the hotel should confirm the room type is available. If you pay for a King room and it's not available; the next best should be offered. If a hotel receptionist offers you breakfast; get this in writing so that the hotel management does not fight with you.

Overall, while the stay was still pleasant, I'll most likely not stay here again. I visit Singapore at least once-twice a year so this is business that Park Royal will be losing due to a lack of customer service.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear travelingteacher14, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us, I regret to learn about your recent experience at our hotel and please be assured that I will certainly look into your comments and take corrective actions to address the service shortfalls. I value your patronage and hope to welcome you back in the future for a more successful experience. If there is anything further you would like to share with me, please contact me directly at gino.tan@parkroyalhotels.com Thank you again. Gino

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Every business hotel should be like this. After four time zones in 10 days you just need everything to flow easily and so it did. From check in to room, a quick dip in the pool to wash away the dreary feeling of a 12 hour flight. Then back to the room and how special, the views, the open plan, the desk, the free shoe shine, the glass walled bathroom rooms. And most of all, the pillows and the king bed. Lights and electric shutout blinds all easy to navigate. Outside, the hanging gardens, the open walkways to rooms. Downstairs, bubbling brooks, plant walls, clever bars and lounges and an amazing restaurant with a layout to ensure even solo travellers feel at home. Open kitchens create a show. This hotel is barely a year old and claims significant Eco credentials. No wonder the staff are all smiling.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Gino-PARKROYAL, General Manager at PARKROYAL on Pickering, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Dear J0hnnyG13, thanks for the wonderful review. I really enjoyed reading how you summarized your experience at our hotel. Great to hear that you enjoyed your stay and thanks again for making PARKROYAL on Pickering your preferred choice of stay. Gino

Reviewed 13 April 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 5 days on our return trip from Europe. The hotel is absolutely gorgeous with amazing architecture and the eco friendly green environs. Staff were great at check in, prompt and efficient. We booked an Orchid Club room and the Lounge located on the top level of the hotel was brilliant. The hostesses in the lounge were delightful and Jay made us especially welcome. The breakfast, afternoon tea and evening cocktail time food selections were very generous, and we felt like we were coming home whenever we entered the club lounge. The infinity pool and pool "pods" on the 5th floor allowed for privacy and a great place to relax after sightseeing or shopping. The room was gererous in size, very modern, plenty of storage, mirrors and shelf space, and blackout blinds which are incredibly effective. The hotel is very well situated for accessing the MRT - only 5 mins walk to Clark Quay MRT or a few minutes more to Chinatown MRT. You are only 2 blocks from the very centre of Chinatown and there is a shopping complex next door to the hotel with lots of eating options if you don't wish to eat in the hotel. We loved our stay here and wouldn't hesitate to stay again when next we are in Singapore.

Room Tip: Would highly recommend an Orchid Club room which are on the higher floors, for the views and also fo...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Christine J, thank you for sharing your positive experience with us. I am glad you appreciated our hotel's architecture, the eco-features and convenience of our locale. The Orchid Club associates were excited to hear that they have left such a lasting impression on you and it’s even more rewarding to know that you will be back to stay with us again in the future. Gino

Reviewed 13 April 2014

For me the service was super... including smaller things like time to respond to simple request like room service. Even the concierge desk was very helpful. Every bit of the hotel was great experience from orchid club at 16 th floor to the swimming pool.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear SoniManish, thank you so much for the excellent review. It is always a joy to hear from our happy guests and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon. Gino

Reviewed 13 April 2014

I was here for 7 nights and this is an amazing hotel to be in. They are situated in the Heart of the city and all the places are very nearby right from the amazing Merlion to Clarke Quay to Chinatown all within walkable distance.
I was provided an early check IN without any delay and the Rooms were just amazing.
They also provided complimentary Laundry and Access to their Lounge. I enjoyed the Breakfast and the evening socials at the lounge. The Hotel Staff is one of the best available in the industry. I want to call out the name of person "Jay" who really took care of the people at the Lounge. All of them were really courteous and on the arrival on day 1 after telling my name, they never forgot it. They knew what i wanted as soon as i sat on the breakfast table or for the evening social. This was customer service at the best...Stay there and have lots of fun. Its a place full of greenery

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business