“An Amazing expirience”

PARKROYAL on Pickering
Ranked #19 of 306 Hotels in Singapore
“An Amazing expirience”
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay, with spacious room, modern designs nature friendly environment. And the staff rendered excellent service.

We strongly recommend this hotel to everyone who wants to relax and have the city life at the same time .. we will definately come back ..

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Tine I
Gino-PARKROYAL, General Manager at PARKROYAL on Pickering, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Tine I, thank you for taking the time to share you positive experience with us. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and even happier to learn that you will be back to visit us again. Gino

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (462)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne
Reviewed 13 June 2014

The Parkroyal on Pickering experience is something that I will remember for a long time. From the moment you drive into the stunning driveway, through to the walk from check-in to your lift, and out of the lift into the hallways and finally your room, you can see that so much thought went into the design of this stunning hotel.

Our room was so comfortable, and the perfect size for a weekend break. The wood panelling lent an air of calm to the room, and there was no noise from the street which made it so easy to relax after the heat and pace of Singapore.

The location is perfect, if you want to experience the best of Singapore. It is in the city, but close to Chinatown, crazy close to the MRT, and an easy walk to Clarke Quay. The SIA Hop On Hop Off Bus Stop is 100 metres from the entrance, and if you want a special treat, the 1 Altitude rooftop bar is a five minute walk away.

We were given access to the Orchid Lounge which was just another bonus that made the whole long weekend special. The staff in the Orchid Lounge were so accommodating and helpful, and made every effort to make our afternoon tea and our breakfast easy and relaxing.

And the pool. Wow. I realise it is not the Marina Bay Sands infinity pool, but again, it was an oasis from the heat of Singapore, and the view was calming, whether you were in the pool, or sitting in one of the cute bird cages dotted around the pool area.

If I was pushed to find something that wasn't perfect, I would have to say that some of the service staff were not as helpful or as skilled as you would expect in international hotels. They were all lovely, but their knowledge in their areas was not great. For example, the concierge were very sweet, but they really struggled to help us with advice on what to do, where to eat, and how to get to places. Similarly, housekeeping did some weird things, including removing my pillow case from my personal pillow and replacing it with one of their pillow cases (I would actually like my pillow case back, please), and making up our room twice in one day.

But putting that aside, this is a stunning property, which will leave you feeling relaxed, and in love with Singapore.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room. And see if you can get access to the Orchid Club.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tribalinsight
Gino-PARKROYAL, General Manager at PARKROYAL on Pickering, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Dear tribalinsight, thank you for recommending us on TripAdvisor! I am happy to hear that you have thoroughly enjoyed the stay and we hope you will be back to visit us the next time you return to sunny Singapore. Gino
California
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Stayed at this hotel last week for 3 days with some colleagues for business meeting. Found out online that this is a new eco hotel located in the city center, so would like to give it a try. As usual, I will send an email to the hotel in advance to make my request for a higher floor room, not too close to the elevator and a late check-out. When we arrived at the hotel, we were being helped to check in by different front desk staff, I was being called on my name by a male staff for check in, and he told me that he got my requests but the hotel was really full, so my requests for higher floor and late check-out could not be arranged. It was OK for me and I continued with the check-in process. Later on when I went to the elevator with my colleagues, I realized that I was being put on the 6th floor, which was the lowest floor for guest room, while all my colleagues were on higher floor like 13th and 14th floor. When I get to my room, I also found out that my room was not just “not too close to the elevator”, but was far away from the elevator at the far dead end with a long walk through several glass doors. And off course all my colleagues got a nice room with just a short walk from the elevator. So when I got inside the room, I called the front desk and asked for a late check-out, and got accepted !!! Was the whole thing a joke or what???

Now I know that next time if I stay at this hotel (if there is a next time), I should not make any request like what I would normally do with other decent hotels!!

Aside from that, this hotel was quite nice, the location was good, next to a small shopping center with lots of restaurants and very close to MRT stations. Since it is so centrally located, don’t expected to have a nice view from your room as the hotel is surrounded by office buildings. The room was clean and fresh, sleeping area was spacious but the bathroom area was quite small and crowded, very odd design. The breakfast buffet was ok, not many choices but taste were good. Most of the staff were friendly and helpful. The wifi was working fine throughout the hotel too.

We booked this hotel via my company agency and were paid in full up front, but when I check-out, I was given a bill for the hotel rooms, so I complained and the front desk staff needed to check and took a while to clear that out. So be careful and check the bill when you check-out.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank cckc123
Dear cckc123, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I truly appreciate the honesty of your remarks and please be assured that we are continuously looking at ways to improve our processes, particularly during peak periods. If there is anything further you would like to share with me, please contact me directly at gino.tan@parkroyalhotels.com and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back for a more successful experience. GIno
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Two thumbs up for this hotel. From beginning til the end of our stay we didn't find any hassle at all. A very stylish room, nice lobby, extraordinary design of the hotel. We had a very enjoyable stay during our trip to Singapore. Please enjoy our pictures of this hotel...

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ImpulsivelyMe
Dear ImpulsivelyMe, thank you for sharing your experience with us. The pictures look great and it will be our pleasure to welcome you back for another memorable stay in the not-too-distant future. GIno
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Our 4 night stay in this hotel was the last stop from a 6 week holiday in the Baltic Countries.The room was spacious , clean and well presented. The breakfast menu was extensive and would accommodate any persons taste. The welcoming drink at reception was very well received after a long flight from Helsinki.
A few minor issues arose during our stay and they were quickly and professional resolved by duty management.

Rolando the concierge was extremely helpful in providing travel advice and direction.

Great stay and will return in the future

John and Genny ....Aust

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John B
Dear John B, thank you for sharing your review with us on TripAdvisor! I am delighted to learn that you thoroughly enjoyed the stay and certainly look forward to welcoming you back for another great experience in the near future! Gino
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We decided to have a 5 night stopover in Singapore enroute from Brisbane to Africa. After reading many tripadvisor reviews we booked at The Parkroyal. Well what a great decision. The hotel design is fantastic with living plants cascading from many floor levels. It is a beautiful hotel to look at from a distance. Nothing comparable.The room we stayed in was a superior with the most comfortable bed and pillows. Every night we slept so soundly. Spotlessly clean and functional.The staff are just wonderful. I mean all staff , from Reception to Porters, they just love there respective job and do it so cheerfully . After 2 nights we upgraded to The Orchid Club staying on a higher floor level, same room layout as the previously stayed in superior with the added benefits. This was a great choice for us after a full day out seeing Singapore to arrive back in time for evening canapés and drinks on the 16 th floor looking over the lights around Clarke Quay and further to the city buildings was so relaxing. Every night and morning for breakfast when we entered The Orchid Room we were greeted with the warmest of welcomes. The infectious smile accompanied by your name greeting was so much appreciated. We must thank Mariquel , Operations Manager and her wonderful girls for the excellent service . They made our stay so special. Without any doubt Parkroyal on Pickering is the place to stay in Singapore. It is within walking distance to Chinatown , Clarke Quay and the CBD. You will not be disappointed in any way whatsoever .

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank johnelsworthy
Gino-PARKROYAL, General Manager at PARKROYAL on Pickering, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear johnelsworthy, thank you for making PARKROYAL on Pickering your preferred choice and I am most pleased to learn of your commendations towards our team for the quality of service. Your positive feedback is certainly encouraging and we continue to seek for improvement towards excellence. It will be my pleasure to welcome you again for another memorable hotel experience in the near future! Gino
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

Check-in was a long process. We added the club option to our deluxe room. Receptionist James asked us for a $100 guarantee via credit card. I thought this was odd. We have already paid for the room upfront and none of the other hotels we stayed in, local and overseas, asked for this guarantee. After getting the credit card company to hold $100 for the hotel, James then asked for another $80, this time as payment for the upgrade to use club facilities. Just thought it was a weird way to deal with customers. We asked him where Lime restaurant is and he looked confused. He did say that he would check for us... but never got back to us. Lime, ladies and gentlemen, is a restaurant within the hotel, mere steps away from where the reception is. This receptionist also failed to mention that there is high tea served at the lounge. So we missed it. Quite disappointing. We asked the same receptionist if we cld go for the high tea the next day (ours was a one-day staycation), and he said yes, as long as we are still staying there... Is that a roundabout way of saying no? We were expected to check out at 12 and high tea is served later. How was it possible for us to go for high tea? When asked if the drinks in the minibar were complimentary, he said yes. He then retracted his statement saying that ours is not a premier room. While we understand this logic, we dont understand how a receptionist can give us the wrong info.

The hotel is beeeeeautiful. Architecture, amazing. We walked through a nice corridor (lined on one side with a green wall) to get to our room 1313 (how inauspicious). We had a nice view of the singapore river. Vr vr nice view. Very romantic. Room was pretty. Comfy bed. A lot of space (especially for Singapore). There are certain things the hotel can improve on. The toilet is seperated from the shower by a see-through partition... it was quite difficult to wash up after using the toilet. Dear hotel management, let me introduce to you a new invrntion: the 'bidet'. Vr inexpensive. Ur customers can stay clean. Japanese and Korean hotels have it. Please consider installing it.

We had drinks at the lounge. Nice drinks. The staff working at the lounge are quite nice (thumbs up ladies!), from the chef to the servers. Drinks were good. Desserts were good too. Nice ambience. We stayed there throughout, just enjoying each other's company and the view. Food were quickly replenished and the spread was more in quantity and quality as compared to another hotel club lounge we've been to 2 months before. It can get quite noisy at the lounge when certain noisier groups enter, but we still enjoyed ourselves.

The hotel is eco friendly. The lowest you can go with your air conditioning unit is 21°, with a maximum fan speed of 3. That's great. I myself set my air con at 25° as that is cold enough for me. However, due to how the system is installed, it gets very hot when you try to sleep. Very hot. Uncomfortably hot. So despite having this beautiful room with a comfortable bed, we COULD NOT SLEEP.

The next morning, we called front desk to ask if we could get a late check out. The lady who answered put us on hold while she checked with her manager (i think you should look into empowering members of your staff with this kind of day to day decisions). We were glad to be give until 2 pm. Thank you.

We then had a nice time eating breakfast at Lime. It had a really good spread. Food was satisfactory. Love your chocolate muffin. Chefs were nice and friendly. However, it was quite difficult to get the servers' attention to order coffee/tea. They also took a long time to clear our table and the plates piled up. Getting into Lime took a long time as there was only one person seating all of us and there was a queue throughout breakfast.

So... all in all we enjoyed ourselves at Parkroyal on Pickering. Lovely rooms. Great architecture. Luxurious. However, the hotel needs to make sure it trains its staff properly and take a look at some design flaws.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank junietravels
Gino-PARKROYAL, General Manager at PARKROYAL on Pickering, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear junietravels, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, While I’m happy to read that you enjoyed the room and our location, I was disappointed to read about your negative experience at check-in. I greatly appreciate the honesty of your remarks and I agree with you that the said associate could have handled the situation better. I have also shared your comment on the airconditioning system with my engineering colleagues and will take it on board to make the necessary enhancements, where possible. That aside, the ladies at Orchid Club Lounge were delighted to read that they have left such a positive impression and we certainly hope that we get the opportunity to welcome you back for another staycation in the near future. Gino