“Wow me in every negative ways possible!”

PARKROYAL on Pickering
Ranked #25 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

I spend half of the year travelling n staying in hotels for business, and I certainly recognise and give credits to great service when I see it. This hotel really succeeded in surprising me in every way possible, in a negative way. Was checking out this hotel so that I can consider recommending it to overseas clients, due to its close proximity to the CBD.

Checked it room, and realised there is no bathtub. Called guest service, was put on hold for 30 mins before I got to speak to the operator. Told operator I would like to pay to upgrade to a room with bathtub. Said she will call me back, another 20 mins passed with no call back. Called back and insisted on speaking to front desk, operator refused to put me through and said front desk was busy. Asked about my room upgrade again, was flatly told I had booked a
superior room which doesnt come with a bathtub. Told her again I will pay for an upgrade, and she just brushed me off by saying they are having full occupancy.

Called guest service in morning to request for 2 toothbrush. Took 45 mins and 4 calls later before it finally arrive.

Went to the pool at 8.30am, and wanted to order some breakfast or snacks to eat by the pool. There was no pool attendant around, so I just called room service to order. Was told they will send a waiter up with the breakfast menu to take orders. Waiter came to pool empty handed, and after some confusion, said they cant serve any food by the pool till 11am. He suggested we have breakfast at the Lime cafe.

Finally went to the Lime cafe for breakfast. Staff made guests wait in the queue even though there were empty tables, while they chatted among themselves. They appear irritated when guests ask for their service, like guests are troubling them. Ordered a noodle soup and a congee. Waited another 30 mins, no sign of food. Checked with waitress, and she just flatly said they mixed up our orders due to some printer problems, so we gotta wait awhile more for our food! Seriously??!! No apologies, nothing. And they didnt even bother to inform us had I not asked??

I have stayed in the best 6 stars hotels around the world, and I have also stayed in the most dingy backpackers' place in my years of travel. I strongly believe that a hotel should deliver the level of service of what it priced and market itself to be. In the case of Parkroyal on Pickering, I can only say there are serious gaps, and it has been a disappointing stay.

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank MadIbu
Gino-PARKROYAL, General Manager at PARKROYAL on Pickering, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear Madibu, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Please accept our sincere apologies for not being able to accommodate your request for a Deluxe Room due to the hotel's occupancy level on that day. I greatly appreciate the honesty of your remarks and I agree that being put on hold for half an hour is not acceptable. Please be assured that I am personally investigating the incident. If there is anything further you would like to share with me, please contact me directly at gino.tan@parkroyalhotels.com. Gino

Reviewed 27 July 2014

The hotel is great however the Club Lounge is brilliant. The staff are exceptional, I mean exceptionally fantastic and the offering is the best of any hotel I have stayed at so if you like a great hotel with modern rooms and a brilliant lounge then this is the one.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Seasoned T, it's always a joy to hear from our repeat guests and I am delighted to read that our PARKROYAL people at the Orchid Club made your stay truly special. Thanks for the great review and we look forward to your next visit. Gino

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

On paper this hotel looks good - nice photos, a good location, next to Chinatown and close to public transport. We arrived at around 8pm and were told our room had 'just become available' - subject to the reception staff actually going up to check the room himself - odd? I thought so. Especially considering you pay a daily rate, from 2pm..
We waited patiently in the lobby for a little over15 minutes - in which time realizing that the door-man had lost interest in our luggage and left it propped next to a randomly selected chair after wheeling it some 3 or so meters. After being informed our room was ready, we collected our bags from where they were left and wandered in search of our room - with no instruction where to find it, let alone the location of the elevator to get there...
The room was smaller that what I expected from the photos - (really use your square meter comparison on this one!) and the toilet felt like somewhat of a coffin/tiny sauna box. Everything seemed to be done to the 'just enough' point - The rooms just big enough to fit a human or small rodent family, The staff were just as friendly as they had to be - I don't expect to be greeted by smiling dancing staff with bells on but good genuine service is not difficult.
I would consider this hotel a reasonable choice based on location or if you don't plan on spending any time in your room.

Stayed: July 2014

Dear Rhys D, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. I was disappointed to hear about the inconvenience caused during check-in; it is unacceptable and should not have happened. I appreciate your patience and hope we get the chance to welcome you back for a more successful experience. Gino

Reviewed 26 July 2014

This is a strange hotel which has a lot going for it but a few problems.
There a lots of previous reviews setting out the positives of the hotel and in particular its great location.
The first problem with the hotel is check in and check out is chaotic. The area is small and has only two small desks so there was on occasion 4 staff but most time 3 staff. These two desk handle check in, check out , guests queries, map directions and goodness knows what else all at the same time. There is also no special area for club guest check in and out.
The next thing which is unusual is the non suite rooms face each other which require day blinds to be down during the day and full blinds in the evening. The first room we were given had its only window looking a corridor where everyone using this area looked straight into the room. Whilst the room was pleasant it did not suite us so we requested a change of room. This gave rise to the next problem, the telephone system. You can only go to a control number who supposedly deals with the request., you cannot get switched through to anyone else. So after numerous calls and 35 minute wait I went to check in and dealt with them directly. From arrival to our correct room was around 90 minutes.
The hotel was near capacity and breakfast queue stretched quite a distance, to avoid long waits planning was essential. The staff are friendly and helpful but management control seems to be lacking.
I travel fairly extensively and often use club facilities at hotels and the dress requirements in the lounges have become more sensible and less formal, but this hotel's lounge acceptance set a new standard in my experience. Bare feet, rugger shorts and T Shirts with supposedly humorous slogans was accompanied by a baseball hat on back the front.
Despite all the negatives I overall enjoyed the hotel, its quirky and lively but it could be so much better in my opinion.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear stonhaus, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. As one of Singapore's greenest hotels, various eco-friendly initiatives have been incorporated in the building management system and operational processes, for e.g. we have floor-to-ceiling windows in our guestrooms to reduce amount of energy used to light up the room. They are also not tinted to allow maximum daylight into the room and guests are recommended to lower the blinds if they require total privacy. I also note your comments on the breakfast line and check-in experience. We are continuously looking at ways to improve our processes, particularly during peak periods and weekends. I appreciate your patience and hope to welcome you back for a more successful experience in the near future. Gino

Reviewed 26 July 2014

What a fantastic hotel. All the staff were very friendly, nothing was too hard. The place was spotless and very clean and tidy. We were given a Junior Suite. The room was spacious, great views, and lovely interior fit out. Beds were unbelievable comfortable. Only niggle was the touch sensitive light switches were sometimes hard to operate. Apart from that, couldn't fault this hotel. We have club access where the staff were fantastic, friending and did everything they could. Also had free WIFI

Room Tip: Higher floors with a corner rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NZL_Carl

Dear NZL_Carl, it is my pleasure to have you as our guest and I am pleased that you have enjoyed a memorable hotel experience. Thank you for acknowledging our efforts by sharing it with us on TripAdvisor and we forward to welcoming you again for another refreshing experience in the near future! Gino

Reviewed 26 July 2014

My family stayed overnight at ParkRoyal on Pickering in Singapore, besides of the amazing design of the hotel and extra ordinary ambiance, what makes us more happy with our stay is the PRIME SERVICE of the staff...special mention to bellman joseph who welcome us the moment we arrived and sent us to our room and to rolando who is also helpful. Glad we booked to this hotel!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank albiz240

Dear albiz240, thank you for your review and in particular, for acknowledging the efforts of our PARKROYAL people. That means a lot to them! We have a great team and they are always very eager to welcome guests to our beautiful hotel-in-a-garden. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Gino

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Stayed here while on vacation and experienced the absolute best service we've had at any hotel worldwide! The hostess and staff in the Orchid lounge made it their business to know our names and what our likes were. They made us feel right at home. Hated to leave this place!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Gino-PARKROYAL, General Manager at PARKROYAL on Pickering, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear Carl H, I am very pleased to hear that our Orchid Club staff made you feel at home when you were on vacation in Singapore. It will be our pleasure to welcome you back for another refreshing stay, hopefully in the not-too-distant future. Gino