“Great but...”

Ranked #19 of 308 Hotels in Singapore
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Great but...”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Well located hotel with a very interesting architecture. We were very nicely welcomed and the room was ready although we arrived by 11am. The room is nice, warm, cosy well equiped (includes iron and ironing board) and bright (big windows). Be careful with the room's door: super heavy so do not book for your relative if they are not so fit... The bright side is that the room is very quiet.
The swimming pool area is nicely designed but quickly crowded.
The breakfast is good.
The lady taking us to an available table was "funny". She greeted us and then start walking fast without paying attention to our pace, so we stopped. She reached the table, turned around and was surprised we were not behind her... I know time is money but a little adjustment to the guest's feelings, especially in the morning, would be nice.
Great but... As a matter of fact, when we checked in, the front desk agent told us, among other information: "You are lucky you have a room with a view" followed by "you are lucky, you have a room with a bathtub and not all our rooms of that category have it."
Ok, we were happy to be lucky for that time but considering that i go to Singapore once a month, what about my next stay... Will i get lucky again? And the last thing i expect when i travel is to be in the doubt!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Gino-PARKROYAL, General Manager at PARKROYAL on Pickering, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear WTraveller9, thank you so much for sharing your stay experience with us. It is only through feedback like yours that we are able to constantly adapt and improve our services. I appreciate your patience and hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to our hotel-in-a-garden when you visit Singapore next month. Gino

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (475)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Locations fantastic - two mrt stations close by. Hotel is warm, cosy, Eco-friendly and something different to the norm. Orchid club is highly recommended especially if you plan to use the lounge for most meals and drinks. Food, drink and service superb. I will stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Pan Pacific Hotels Group

Gino-PARKROYAL, General Manager at PARKROYAL on Pickering, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear jmrogues, it's always a joy to hear from our happy guests and even more rewarding to know that you will be back to stay with us again. Thank you so much for the review and we hope to welcome you back soon. Gino
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We stayed 4 nights in two Orchid Club Deluxe Rooms at the end of a 2 week family holiday and would recommend this hotel very highly. It is perfectly located for access to the many sights around Singapore with a lovely park across the street and MRT stations a short walk away. The club lounge was ideal for our needs, we had breakfast there each morning except one when we tried the Lime restaurant on the ground floor. Definitely the service and quality of food, space and views from the club lounge on level 16 were worth the extra outlay!
Our teenage kids made good use of the lovely pool and pods on level 5 which we found really comfortable for spending a while reading and relaxing. The gardens all around the hotel are beautiful and a fabulous use of vertical garden techniques.
Our rooms were comfortable, clean and well designed with plenty of space thoughtfully arranged for luggage, clothing etc. the beds are very comfortable and the linen fresh, clean and soft. There was a shower only which suited us and the toiletries on offer were high quality.
The check-in for us was no problem as other reviews have mentioned as a negative. We arrived on a Wed lunchtime which was not that busy. Our checkout was on Sat at 5pm which was efficient, although we did notice it was very busy that morning with 3 wedding parties arriving.

Room Tip: Pay the extra to join the Orchid Club and enjoy the lounge on the 16th floor for breakfast, high tea...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear GlenLorne, it was my pleasure to have you and your family as our guests and I truly appreciate you sharing your positive experience with us. I am glad to hear that the kids had a chance to enjoy our infinity pool and unique bird-cage cabanas on Level 5, definitely one of the best places to relax and unwind. Here's hoping that everyone enjoyed the 2-week long vacation and we look forward to welcoming you back for another refreshing experience in the near future. Gino
Ballina
Reviewed 28 July 2014

This Hotel was a pleasant surprise, the great staff allowed us to use the poolside facilities before and after checkin, which makes a huge difference to travel comfort when arriving early departing late. The hotel condition and location could not be faulted. Thank you to the friendly staff.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Pan Pacific Hotels Group

Dear Geoffrey S, I am very happy to read that our PARKROYAL people did what they can to ensure your recent stay in Singapore was comfortable. Thank you for sharing your experience with us and I hope to welcome you back to our hotel-in-a-garden soon. Gino
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We had a 1-night staycation in June 2014 in the ORCHID CLUB DELUXE ROOM.

We had requested for an early check in at 12pm and it was granted (we're very appreciative of that) but we arrived a little late at about 1245pm. Checking in was about a 20 mins wait in the queue with all the other guests. There was no Priority Check-In queue for Club guests although it was stated in our reservation email. No welcome drinks were served either.

We were told our room was well ready and waiting for us. After an additional 5 more mins of settling the paperwork, we got our keys but there were no hotel staff around to show us to the lifts that would lead us up to our room. We stepped into a lift before finding out that it only service the carpark and not the rooms. After a brief confusion, we realised where the correct lifts were. It would have been much more helpful if there were hotel staff on the ground giving directions.

Room: Splendid. Very nice interior; soft warm brown tones which puts you in a relaxed mode. We had a king sized bed, separate sofa, work table, and pretty much space to move around. The TV was a little small though. Love the double layer blinds which you can adjust to your liking by the click of a button. Aircon was working well. Bedsheets, pillows & comforter were clean. Not much of a view even though we were on the second highest floor (Room #1502). Complimentary mini bar was a nice gesture and we were also entitled to refill it once. Good enough for us.

Toilet: Separate toilet bowl area/ standing shower/ bathtub. Bathtub was by the windows so please lower the blinds if you're soaking naked. ;) Read somewhere that the window panels are not tinted or whatsoever to allow natural sunlight to fill the room. Part of the hotel's eco-friendly theme I guess.

Pool: Pool lovers may find it a tad small. Limited chairs around to sit and/or lie down for tanning. Cute "bird cages" around the pool area which are ideal for chit chat and drinks or just to laze in it for a short nap. Not sure if you'll need to order any drinks or food to use the cage (there's a menu but we ignored it).

Orchid Club Lounge: There's a mixture of tables and chairs as well as sofa seats. We enjoyed the light refreshments/snacks that were available in the noon and especially loved the evening cocktails and canapés that we indulged in. Grab a good read from their display of books & magazines, sip on your coffee/tea/champagne or red wine and slowly "wine" down your day (pun intended). We did not need to head out for dinner as the evening cocktails and canapés were enough to fill our tummies.
View was nice - 180 degrees view of the city's night lights and parts of the Singapore river. Very exclusive and relaxing place albeit having to hear a group of business people discuss their work rather loudly. Next morning's champagne breakfast was also at the Club lounge and it was quite good. However, do not expect a huge hotel breakfast buffet-style. It was a small cosy presentation with muffins, cereal, milk, salads, cheese, croissants, bread, sausages, bacon, fruits, chinese siew mai and har gau and porridge. A chef is present to cook your eggs to your liking but he didn't look too happy with his job? No warm morning smile or greeting from him.

Staff in the Orchid Club Lounge: Reasonably polite and most of the time smiling and greeting guests. However after our evening cocktail session ended, I spotted 1 staff putting aside some leftover muffins and fruits onto 2 plates and placing them into a cabinet directly behind the coffee counter. After a while, she opened the cabinet, head facing inwards for about a min or so, and then she closed the cabinet. Her mouth was moving and it was obvious she was chewing food............ NOT professional at all. I understand we're all humans and it's natural that we will feel hungry but eating secretly in the presence of guests...?? Not so secret after all. In a way, it's a good thing that the leftover food weren't wasted and thrown away. But I'm pretty sure a reputable hotel like PARKROYAL would have a proper pantry and an allocated time for their staff to eat? It is definitely NOT acceptable to see staff eating while on the job.

Check out: We had a late check out at 2pm. This time, we waited in the queue for about 30mins to be served. There were guests streaming in and lining up to check in at the same time as it was the standard check in time, but still, I'm sure PARKROYAL can do something to rectify this issue. Still, no Priority Check-In or Check-Out counter for Club guests. Meanwhile, a staff came around serving welcome drinks. Do they only serve guests at 2pm...?

Overall: I would give this hotel a 7/10 rating. The room and the soothing/relaxing aura the hotel exudes gave it the 7 points it deserved but the small unpleasant encounters with the service crew deprived it of the 3 remaining points.

Lastly, this is still on my mind: Management should really look into speeding up the process at the Front Desk as it is the FIRST and LAST impression every guest would experience with the hotel. Also, it is only proper to have a priority queue if your website states that Club guests will enjoy priority check-in.

Love the hotel but disappointed with the service.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear msjulieng, thank you for sharing your recent experience at our hotel. While I’m happy to know that you enjoyed the room and Orchid Club facilities, I am very sorry to hear that the team was not able to accord an earlier check-in (from the official check-in time of 2pm) due to the occupancy on that day. I value your patronage and hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back for a more successful experience. Gino
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 28 July 2014

The hotel displays a great "green design" in- and outside with plants on all levels and outside walls. Very comfortable and large rooms at Superior level, Asian style interiors. Only shower though. Service was sportive at check-in, attentive at the lounge and with luggage and too lazy at restaurants. Hotel is close to CBD and one can also start jogging right outside and along the river. Young Asian and European mixture of guests staying. Would stay there again but nothing to fall in love with.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Gino-PARKROYAL, General Manager at PARKROYAL on Pickering, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Andreas C, I am glad to hear that you liked the green features of the hotel and appreciated the convenience of our locale. Thank you for sharing your positive experience with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Gino
Jakarta
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

I spend half of the year travelling n staying in hotels for business, and I certainly recognise and give credits to great service when I see it. This hotel really succeeded in surprising me in every way possible, in a negative way. Was checking out this hotel so that I can consider recommending it to overseas clients, due to its close proximity to the CBD.

Checked it room, and realised there is no bathtub. Called guest service, was put on hold for 30 mins before I got to speak to the operator. Told operator I would like to pay to upgrade to a room with bathtub. Said she will call me back, another 20 mins passed with no call back. Called back and insisted on speaking to front desk, operator refused to put me through and said front desk was busy. Asked about my room upgrade again, was flatly told I had booked a
superior room which doesnt come with a bathtub. Told her again I will pay for an upgrade, and she just brushed me off by saying they are having full occupancy.

Called guest service in morning to request for 2 toothbrush. Took 45 mins and 4 calls later before it finally arrive.

Went to the pool at 8.30am, and wanted to order some breakfast or snacks to eat by the pool. There was no pool attendant around, so I just called room service to order. Was told they will send a waiter up with the breakfast menu to take orders. Waiter came to pool empty handed, and after some confusion, said they cant serve any food by the pool till 11am. He suggested we have breakfast at the Lime cafe.

Finally went to the Lime cafe for breakfast. Staff made guests wait in the queue even though there were empty tables, while they chatted among themselves. They appear irritated when guests ask for their service, like guests are troubling them. Ordered a noodle soup and a congee. Waited another 30 mins, no sign of food. Checked with waitress, and she just flatly said they mixed up our orders due to some printer problems, so we gotta wait awhile more for our food! Seriously??!! No apologies, nothing. And they didnt even bother to inform us had I not asked??

I have stayed in the best 6 stars hotels around the world, and I have also stayed in the most dingy backpackers' place in my years of travel. I strongly believe that a hotel should deliver the level of service of what it priced and market itself to be. In the case of Parkroyal on Pickering, I can only say there are serious gaps, and it has been a disappointing stay.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank MadIbu
Dear Madibu, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Please accept our sincere apologies for not being able to accommodate your request for a Deluxe Room due to the hotel's occupancy level on that day. I greatly appreciate the honesty of your remarks and I agree that being put on hold for half an hour is not acceptable. Please be assured that I am personally investigating the incident. If there is anything further you would like to share with me, please contact me directly at gino.tan@parkroyalhotels.com. Gino