“Excellent hotel and service”

PARKROYAL on Pickering
Ranked #24 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

This is one of my favorite hotels anywhere. Stayed here for 5 days days and i had a very wonderful experience. The facilities are excellent. My room was not spacious but pleasant and always clean. All the staff from front office, house keeping and food and beverage were amazing. Would highly recommend the Orchid Club Lounge. It has a beautiful view ,great food and drinks and most of all , an excellent service , particularly from Jay who is very helpful , always smiling and noticeably well groomed . She did an amazing job of taking care of me during my stay. Congratulations to the hotel management for really knowing customer service. I'm looking forward to stay here again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank mssarah1002
Gino-PARKROYAL, General Manager at PARKROYAL on Pickering, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear mssarah1002, it is always a joy to hear from our happy guests. Thank you for sharing your experience with us and we will be delighted to welcome you back to our hotel-in-a-garden for another memorable stay in the near future. Gino

Write a ReviewReviews (3,186)

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Beautiful hotel in the perfect location, loved the gardens all over each floor and the balconies covered in plants, the hotel really is a stunning piece of architecture.

My only complaint was when checking into the hotel, it was a late check-in at about 10:45pm and I was desperate to get to my room, get changed and get out on the town to get bladderd on the bevy. The receptionist confirmed to me that a king sized bed was booked, but when i got to the room it was 2 singles. This is a bloody big hotel, so it was a hassle to then go back to reception and get a new room and move all my bags again. I notice from the comments that this happens quite often to guests.

Sort it out

Room Tip: Make sure the reception gives you the room that you booked,they try to fob you off with lower standa...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fishcake_67
Gino-PARKROYAL, General Manager at PARKROYAL on Pickering, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear Fishcake_67, thanks for the review and great to know that you enjoyed the hotel architecture. Please accept my sincere apologies that you were not provided a king bed during your recent stay. We are continuously looking at ways to enhance our processes, particularly during peak periods. I appreciate your patience and look forward to welcoming you back to PARKROYAL on Pickering in the future for a more successful experience. Gino

Reviewed 7 August 2014

This hotel was recommended to us and we have stayed in this area before. The location next to Chinatown, MRT and Clarke Quay was very convenient. Our premier room was lovely with large windows overlooking a park and the city. The greenery in the hotel is like an oasis. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Pan Pacific Hotels Group
1  Thank Patricia R

Dear Patricia R, it's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay in our Premier Room during your recent trip to Singapore and it will be our pleasure to welcome you back to our urban oasis for another memorable hotel experience soon. Gino

Reviewed 6 August 2014

This place is amazing! we love love loved our stay here and will definitely come back here! If you are looking for luxury and value then definitely stay here. It is only a 5-10 minute walk to the closest metro (chinatown) which takes you anywhere!!! so amazing here.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Len M

Dear Len L, thank you for the wonderful review and it makes my day to know that you will be back to stay with us again! Gino

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Their Orchid Club Deluxe Room is perfect, comes with King size bed, lush pillows, high ceiling and large bathtub! Complimentary mini bar (only NON alcoholic drinks) for Orchid Club rooms. Don't drink the welcome drink! Its just Lime juice - very SOUR! LOL

Their lounge food quality is ordinary, serving continental breakfast with a chef on egg station. Orchid Club Lounge (located at the top floor) is better for Breakfast as its much brighter ambiance and quieter compare to Lime Restaurant at the ground floor which is more busy and crowded and chilly.

At the club lounge they served Champagne for breakfast but no champagne available for cocktail hour 6pm to 8pm which was bizarre to me. Some seats/table at the lounge are too low... I always have to arrive early to ensure good/proper seats. Cocktail light bites are palatable finger food. Unfortunately there were no cocktail menu provided.

So I will list it here
Cocktail menu for 6pm to 8pm
Bloody Mary (very spicy)
Singapore Sling (too sweet)
Lime Margaritas (too sweet)
Tiger Beer
Gin Tonic
Red Wine (Merlot French)
White Wine (Sauvignon Blanc)
Whisky

Gym is modern but a little worn out and some odors still remained. Steam rooms in the toilet is useful as the swimming pool is cold. Jacuzzi beside the pool is cold too, and weak water jets (just call it a bubble bathtub instead of jacuzzi) Their swimming pool is really dirty, lots of debris, tissues, etc etc. (I wore swimming goggles) interesting bird cage cabana for you to take pictures with or nap inside.

Overall very good hotel, polite staff and attentive servers. Love the designs, layout and very spa like walkways. Opted it because its near Chinatown Point and GHA alliance hotel group allows to clock mileages with respective airlines

Room Tip: Select Orchid Club Rooms to have breakfast at the top 16th floor for a more quiet and comfy champagn...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Sin Wee M
Gino-PARKROYAL, General Manager at PARKROYAL on Pickering, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear Sin Wee M, thank you for recommending our Orchid Club on Tripadvisor. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed the Club experience. I have also shared your review of our cocktails with the team and will make some tweaks, where necessary. It will be our pleasure to welcome you back for another staycation soon. Gino

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Me and my fiancé stayed in this beautiful hotel last April for 6 nights. We had booked standard double room with Orchid Club access. The room was on the 13th floor.

First thing you’re going to notice is how incredibly beautiful and green this hotel is. It’s very unique.

The room itself was a bit small (28m2), but we didn’t feel we needed much more room anyway. The décor was beautiful and materials high quality. Really nice bathroom amenities! The view was kinda nice, you could see the Singapore flyer etc, but the view was blocked by the sky gardens platform on the 14th floor (floor above). This made the view out of the window feel quite narrow. I'm all about great views when it comes to hotel rooms, so I was a bit disappointed, especially because I had requested a room with a pretty view. My fiancé absolutely loved the room and wasn't bothered by the views at all. He thought this was one of the best hotel rooms he’d ever stayed in, even though we have stayed in some pretty luxurious 5 star hotels before! He was really impressed with all the technology in the room ;)

The Orchid club was incredible value for money. The champagne breakfast was one of the highlights of our stay! The evening cocktails and the food served from 6 - 8 pm was always a delight. The views from the Orchad club lounge are really something, and we spent a lot of time on the roof top terrace connected to the club lounge just sipping wine and enjoying ourselves. The waitresses in the club lounge were so friendly and welcoming, always smiling, giving helpful tips for our holiday etc, I can't praise them enough! They even arranged a little surprise (cake, sparkling wine, beautiful singing) for me and my fiancé, when they found out that we just got engaged the previous day. I'd give the club lounge staff a full 5 stars!

Location is great, very close to great restaurants and sights.

Pool area is just as beautiful as the rest of the hotel. It’s not very big and the pool area is not sunny, but I don’t know if I’d even want to stay in the sun, since it’s so hot in Singapore anyways. We never used the pool during the day, but would go there in the evening just before closing time (21-22). At this time the pool (or should I say pools) was pretty much empty, and we could have the best gazebo all for ourselves!

The only "real" minus I'm going to give to this hotel is the fact that trying to communicate with the staff in advance via e-mail has been quite difficult. Sometimes it takes a long time for them to answer, and sometimes they don't answer at all. There has been some sort of mix ups with the reservation (at the hotel's end) and it took a long time for them to sort it out, which was quite stressful. After the first stay I also felt that the staff doesn’t really care about their guests requests and wishes (regarding the rooms). Their communication skills could be improved, after all, this is a 5 star hotel.

I first rated this hotel 4/5 (one minus point coming from the poor communication skills), but then decided to give it a full 5/5. The hotel itself is just heavenly.

Room Tip: Go for the club rooms!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Eiqqu

Dear Eiqqu, thanks for the wonderful review on our hotel! The ladies on our Orchid Club floor will be delighted to hear that they have left such a positive impression on you and I will definitely pass on your compliments to the rest of the team. I have noted your feedback on the pre-arrival communication and will work with the reservations team to refine our processes. I appreciate your patience and hope to welcome you and your fiancé back to PARKROYAL on Pickering for another memorable hotel experience in the near future. Gino

Reviewed 3 August 2014

I stayed here for two nights in August, 2013 and had made the booking for a Superior room inclusive of breakfast with Asiatravel.com.

Arrival

I arrived via taxi from the airport in the late afternoon and it was pleasing to see that there was immediate assistance with the luggage offered. One member of staff greeted me and another helped to carry the cases. The check-in process took a while, as my reservation could not be located within the system and was not on file. Nevertheless, a room was eventually found. A small and refreshing welcome drink was offered.

The Superior Room

I was immediately impressed with the design of the room. The room was designed in a manner which appeared to borrow from Asian elements with the wooden window frames looking like they were Japanese. The rest of the room had a natural, soft feeling to it with natural and light brown tones used for the furniture. The bedhead was green, giving support to the green credentials of the hotel. The high ceiling contributed to the feeling of a loft design, which again helped to generate a natural feeling to the room as after all, forests usually extend into the open sky. The room was only medium-sized and possibly smaller than found at a typical hotel.

The immediate view didn’t impress much, looking out towards the office building opposite and with a clear view of the individual offices and workers. Given that the windows were not tinted at all (in order to let in as much natural light as possible), the only way to gain privacy would be to use the day blinds during the day and the night ones in the evening (both easily electronically controlled) but doing so would prevent any clear views being possible from the room. The view included the Singapore CBD area and Clarke Quay, once I looked to the sides of the office block.

The windows were floor-to-ceiling in design and certainly with the blinds opened allowed the room to be flooded with natural light during the day. However, I encountered an issue with one of the blinds failing to fit into the slot and hence letting in some light from the outside and causing potential privacy issues.

The bed was very comfortable and the linens used were of a good quality. The flat-screen LED TV was reasonably sized at 40 inches as listed on the hotel’s website. The quality was also good and it’s nice to see LED TVs now in many hotel rooms in place of the usual plasma or LCD units. I liked the touch-sensitive light switches, which in some cases automatically illuminated upon placing the finger near the switch. It seemed to be a design element borrowed from the W Hotels.

The bathroom’s design was interesting, being a design set-up again similar to that found in the W Hotels with the ability to close off the bathroom from the rest of the room through the use of sliding doors usually used for wardrobes. So, two sliding doors closed off the bathroom. However, there was no ability to lock the doors, although there was a separate toilet compartment so that would have allowed privacy. Nevertheless, the shower stall could not be closed off or made private. There was no rainshower available but quite a useful and comfortable although simple rectangular shower stick. My bathroom also did not feature a bathtub. All of the toiletries were good-quality and the usual ones found in the Parkroyal hotels.

Overall, the room was in excellent condition and very near brand-new in every aspect. It was also cleaned well so definitely created a very fresh impression. The room was very well soundproofed and nothing much from the outside entered. Oddly enough, I don’t recall whether the wireless internet was complimentary but the important thing is that it is now listed on the hotel website as being offered without charge. The fire alarm went off twice during my stay due to the testing of their systems. Also, another issue concerned the failure to deliver the International Herald Tribune newspaper on the weekend, despite it being included as one of my newspaper requests.

Please note that I have videos of the room, which can be found through the link in my profile section.

Location and Public Areas

The hotel’s location is quite convenient with the Singapore CBD, the Clarke Quay area and Orchard Road all being within walking distance and Chinatown directly outside the entrance. Also, the Chinatown MRT station is only a five-minute walk away.

The hotel architecture was certainly unique, certainly as far as hotels in Singapore go. The concept broadly was of a hotel-in-a-garden. The middle levels consisted of an open garden area which also included the pool and gym. The pool was an infinity one and looked out to the buildings of the CBD nearby. It wasn’t the largest pool but still had a very nice outlook and reminded me of the pool at the Marina Bay Sands but of course, it wasn’t located on as high a level nor was it quite as big. Nice cabanas were also provided, which looked like large bird cages and it was possible to sit in one of these over the actual pool and benefit from the shading provided. I tried the treadmill in the gym on the same level looking out to the pool area. The gym was modern and quite reasonably well-equipped but it wasn’t the largest.

Other parts of the hotel also tried to incorporate very green and garden-like elements. There were plenty of plants and also water streams in the lobby and the plants were allowed to grow in a wild or free manner, so they weren’t just the typical potted plants dotted about the place. Parts of the hallways to the rooms also were open and had creeping plants along the walls as well as water streams running to the side.

The Lime Restaurant (which served the buffet breakfast) had a very open design and seemed to be very spacious. However, there was still a little wait in the morning for a seat and then it was only possible to be seated in an open counter area and not at a proper dining table. A good choice of cuisines was on offer and the quality was also fair. I liked the open-concept kitchen as well.

Overall, the public areas could be described in a similar manner to the rooms. Everything was still new, clean, trendy as well as incorporating an eco-friendly concept which involved plenty of greenery and plants being deployed. In terms of principle, the eco-friendly concept also involved waste reduction and water conservation.

Conclusion

The design of the rooms and common areas impressed. I found the service to be solid and reliable on the whole but the number of guests present likely made the place a little more impersonal than would otherwise have been the case. The location was convenient, especially for those requiring ready access to the Singapore CBD area.

NOTE: I have videos of the hotel room and public areas, which can be found through the link ni my profile section.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank perryw

Dear perryw, thanks for the detailed review of your recent stay. I'm sure our guests will find it very useful. While I’m happy to read that you enjoyed the guestroom and our location, I was disappointed to read about the convenience caused by the sounding of fire alarm and missing newspapers. It should not have happened. I appreciate your patience and hope we get the chance to welcome you back for another stay soon. Gino