“I didn't think size mattered, but...”
Review of Venue Hotel

Venue Hotel
Ranked #121 of 308 Hotels in Singapore
Singapore, Singapore
“I didn't think size mattered, but...”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

The location, on colourful Joo Chiat Road, is a welcome change from touristy central Singapore. The price, by Singapore standards, is good. But the rooms are very small, the shower leaked onto the bathroom floor, I had to sit sideways to use the toilet (don't ask) and the wifi signal was poor.

However, the hotel is fine for a night or two and has the advantage of being reasonably close to the airport. Note to business travellers - no desk in the room (at least not in the one we stayed in). Finding reasonable hotels at this price (about S$100/night) in Singapore is very difficult. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the rear or side of the property.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Husband and I would rate the customer service an average. We did'nt felt welcomed but it was fine. As for the hospitality, it was poor. Bedsheets were dirty, the kettle provided had molds, the water heater was not really working, air-conditioner was not working well also, some of the tv channel provided cant be tuned in. not really worth the price, if all the mentioned problems were improved, it might probably be price worthy.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Travellers are raving about these Singapore hotels

Philadelphia
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed two weeks from May to June at this hotel. Initially I chose the non-window room but when I kept waking up due to noisy kids on the 2nd floor- they moved me to a window room on the 3rd floor. The window view was of the upslanting roof but at least I knew if it was raining before I went out! The hotel staff were mostly great! I felt that some really went out of their way to help! There was some trouble moving into the 2nd room where there were "Singapore ants" hanging around on the desk during the remaining length of my stay. The hotel had no way to really fix that... (which is my only complaint about this hotel- the fridge also permanently stank of Durian Fruit). The hotel walls are thin.. so bring ear plugs if you sleep light. Its definition of cable is about 20 channels- but I didn't go to Singapore to watch TV so it didn't bother me. The location is great. Less than a 15 minute walk gave me access to a wide variety of buses once you can understand the system. There were at least two shopping malls in walking distance for me - Katong 112 and Parkway Parade. There were also a few local food hawker centers near by (Dunman Square was excellent!). Yes- street walkers do frequent Joo Chiat. However since it's legal there I think they are much more low key compared to some places in the States. They usually frequent more up towards the Katong 112 direction at night from what I saw. Many karaoke and bar places around this area if you are into that thing. This hotel doesn't claim to be a 5 star level, but for the price I paid- I was more than a happy camper. I would definitely stay again. Kudos!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
KennethMGR9, Guest Relations Manager at Venue Hotel, responded to this review, 12 April 2017
Dear Rachel L, we thank you for taking the time to review us! We do note the issues mentioned and will be looking at ways to improve our guest's stay. We do agree that our location and friendly staff are some of our strong points!
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Alvin,Adrian,Faizal,ivan And Zahirah provided me good Service. good hotel to stay in singapore with minimum price. we have good internet connectivity to browse you can enjoy the staying in hotel for couple of days.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

I stopped at the Venue hotel for 5 nights in May and I would recommend the Venue hotel if you are looking for a nice hotel, at a cheap price, in Singapore. This hotel is definitely value for money. The hotel reception is inviting and the staff are friendly. The only issues with this hotel are that the rooms are small and the walls are paper thin, so if you are a light sleeper then you might want to avoid this hotel. On two occasions I was woken up in the early hours of the morning; once from guests coming in late and banging doors and the second time was when someone moved to the room next door (because they weren't happy with their room) at 3am and then the cleaner started cleaning the room to the other side at 4am!!! I complained to the Manager, and he did apologise; however, he shouldn't have the cleaners cleaning the rooms at 4am in the morning!
The rooms are clean, well stocked with toiletries and tea/coffee and include a TV, fridge, complimentary water and a safe. I had a pleasant stop at the Venue. It is a little far out from the centre of Singapore, but the No. 33 bus stop is about 2 minutes up the road and it takes you to Clarke Quay or China Town in 30 minutes (for about €1.90 SGD).
Overall, I had an enjoyable stop at the Venue and I would stay there again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear MAMurray, thank you for kind review! We do appreciate your kind comments and we have already begun working hard to fix those issues mentioned !
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 5 June 2014

a $20 cab ride from the airport (no shuttle) and conveniently located in the red light district, “the view” hotel provides windowless rooms with cardboard walls that smell like cheap perfume and liquor… here at the view you will be exposed to local sites and sounds provided by the mass hookers that hold down every corner of ever block in a 2 mile radius... so if you seek the vibe of cheap sex, bad perfume and a $50 cab ride roundtrip… “the view hotel" is the perfect place for you.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank rbrinegar
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

For the price they charge, venue hotel is a great choice. You just need to be realistic about what you get for about $80 per night in singapore. Yes the rooms are pretty tiny, but realistically how much room do you need to sleep. There are no windows in the standard room, but then we were only there after 9-10pm and gone by 9am the next morning so no issue there. Basically small comfortable rooms, in a new clean hotel with some funky decorations. The only feedback I would give is around the bathroom. Really need to have the toilet realigned so that you can actually sit on it, very uncomfortable sitting on a toilet sideways.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
KennethMGR9, Guest Relations Manager at Venue Hotel, responded to this review, 11 March 2017
Dear swc1985, we do understand the limitations mentioned, however our Superior and Deluxe rooms come with a window option and more comfortable level in terms of space.
Thank you for your sincere feedback!